August 4th, 2008

Obama turns 47, staff loses present

Obama turned 47 on Monday.
Obama turned 47 on Monday.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -–Barack Obama turned 47 on Monday but it’s just another four-state day on the campaign trail for the Illinois senator with a morning speech in Michigan followed by an afternoon fundraiser in Boston.

But he won’t be getting a present today.

On Sunday night, Obama’s trip director Marvin Nicholson was getting out of a yellow taxi at his hotel in Chicago with his laundry and Obama’s present in the trunk. As he was greeted by hotel staff, the cab driver drove away with both the clean clothes and the present still in the trunk. The gift, which the campaign won’t reveal, was from senior adviser Robert Gibbs, bodyman Reggie Love and Nicholson.

Nicholson has been calling Chicago taxi companies trying to track the present down. If it’s any consolation to Obama, Harry Connick Jr. will sing him ‘Happy Birthday’ at the fundraiser, the Boston Globe reports.

Obama celebrated the day with his wife and daughters at a barbecue with friends in the Chicago suburbs on Sunday, his first full day off the trail in weeks. And the crowds at Obama’s rallies have been singing him ‘Happy Birthday’ for the past several days.

The Illinois senator often jokes about his rapidly graying hair, telling Florida voters on Friday, “I’ve been getting gray since this campaign has started. When I started this campaign, everybody called me a young man. They’re not calling me that anymore.”

In the battleground state of Michigan on Monday, Obama told the crowd that he couldn’t think of a better place to spend his birthday than Lansing.

1. arlene, CA

Wishing You a Very Happy Birthday Barack Obama.& may all your wishes come true. Especially this coming Nov/08. We love you in CA, the latest polls shows you leading by double digits, like 24-25 points. Great News! Obama for President 08

August 4, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  2. grandma

Happy Birthday, Senator and many many more let get it. I know McCain is old and confused in one add he call you empty celebrity and in another add he call you to best leader in Jewish religion. I know and all your party knows you are #1 leader in all the ways

August 4, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. Don't Hate, Celebrate

Golly Barack haters, you can't even wish the man a happy birthday. You're definitely with the right candidate–Mr. McGrouch.

Obama 08

August 4, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  4. Chuck, Montgomery, AL

Happy Birthday President Barack Obama !!!!!

We're with you in AL and all across the world. Stay on point.

August 4, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  5. Rebuplican for Obama!

I just sent you another $500!!

Happy Birthday Sir!

August 4, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. zeia

Happy Birth day ma bo...may you have many more...Mr President!!

August 4, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. jd

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. PRESIDENT TO BE.

August 4, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. Franky

You know, I almost forgot my boy's birthday. After all the anger and frustration, I didn't even think about it. But to be honest, he didn't mention one thing about it. It just shows that there are some important stuff going on.

Don't worry Barack, we would throw a party for you! Just let us kow when.....as for Senator McCain, I guess we'll throw one for him as well when his B-day comes up.

By the way, I just wanna make a quick comment on something that I read...

"But who's really out of touch? The Bush administration estimates that expanded offshore drilling could increase oil production by 200,000 barrels per day by 2030. We use about 20 million barrels per day, so that would meet about 1% of our demand two decades from now. Meanwhile, efficiency experts say that keeping tires inflated can improve gas mileage by 3%, and regular maintenance can add another 4%. Many drivers already follow their advice, but if everyone else did, we could reduce demand several percentage points immediately. In other words: Obama is right."

Well, Duh!!! LOL!!!! Oh my.......do I love this country or what...

August 4, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. redneckjohn - texas

where are the haters...i would think they come out in a full force.....happy bday obamarica.....

August 4, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. Matt, PA

Harry Connick, Jr. is going to sing "Happy Birthday" to Obama? Oh, he's such a man of the people...

August 4, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. Jacie - San Leandro, Ca

Happy Birthday Senator Obama,

my present will be in November 4th along with donations to your campaign.

August 4, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  12. Ian

So anyway, where's my free gas?

August 4, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  13. Sheri

Happy Birthday Mr. Obama. Hope you have a good one. You're (1) in a million. Thank you for being my favorite candidate.

August 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  14. Darlene

Dear Hillary supporters:

I don't want any VP who brags about how she hasn't pumped gas in years. I'm so over Hillary–I hope she has some place to go during the convention.

Obama 08

August 4, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  15. zeia

I'd really fire Marvin, if I were Obama...but I know that you are really too nice a guy to do that.

August 4, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  16. Obama 08

Gee, a 47 yr. old brillant candidate who can change our country's direction and get our prestige back in the world community or a soon to be 72 yr. old who only has ridiculous campaign ads to his credit...should be a no brainer.

August 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  17. P, CA

Hey, CNN, do a short one on T. Boone Pickens' kind words (and I don't mean that sarcastically, he seriously had KIND WORDS) about Obama's energy plan... all those bloggers who were saying that Obama should be mentioning Pickens more got their wish... here is the quote:
    I’m strongly encouraged by Senator Obama’s speech on America’s energy future. Foreign oil is killing our economy and putting our nation at risk. When I started this campaign my goal was to make this the biggest issue in the coming election and the top priority to be addressed in the first hundred days of the next administration. This issue is clearly moving up in the priority of political debate; Senator Obama’s statement is an indication that is what is indeed happening. I will continue to push this as a priority for the rest of the year."

August 4, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. ObamaDaFool

Good thing he surrounds himself with such intelligent people!

hahahahahaha

August 4, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  19. ericmiami

Happy birthday, Mr. President! We need you.

August 4, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  20. Robert Wooller, West Yorkshire England

Happy Birthday, Obama, we need you next year!!!

August 4, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  21. Valarie, MN

Happy Birthday Barack, still can't stand Hillary. Don't make her your VP, please don't.

August 4, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. Jacob Ugoya

Happy birthday Barack. As you dominate the world headlines, so shall you dominate the White House come November 2008 as your birthday gift in area

August 4, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  23. Martha Hussein Baker for Barack

Happy Birthday to our future president! Many happy returns...

OBAMA '08

August 4, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  24. Tonya in Houston

It's official, the media has OBAMANIA!!! They will report on anything!!!

August 4, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  25. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Going to donate nother 100.00 Happy Birthday Mr. President!

August 4, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |