August 4th, 2008

Obama turns 47, staff loses present

Obama turned 47 on Monday.
Obama turned 47 on Monday.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -–Barack Obama turned 47 on Monday but it’s just another four-state day on the campaign trail for the Illinois senator with a morning speech in Michigan followed by an afternoon fundraiser in Boston.

But he won’t be getting a present today.

On Sunday night, Obama’s trip director Marvin Nicholson was getting out of a yellow taxi at his hotel in Chicago with his laundry and Obama’s present in the trunk. As he was greeted by hotel staff, the cab driver drove away with both the clean clothes and the present still in the trunk. The gift, which the campaign won’t reveal, was from senior adviser Robert Gibbs, bodyman Reggie Love and Nicholson.

Nicholson has been calling Chicago taxi companies trying to track the present down. If it’s any consolation to Obama, Harry Connick Jr. will sing him ‘Happy Birthday’ at the fundraiser, the Boston Globe reports.

Obama celebrated the day with his wife and daughters at a barbecue with friends in the Chicago suburbs on Sunday, his first full day off the trail in weeks. And the crowds at Obama’s rallies have been singing him ‘Happy Birthday’ for the past several days.

The Illinois senator often jokes about his rapidly graying hair, telling Florida voters on Friday, “I’ve been getting gray since this campaign has started. When I started this campaign, everybody called me a young man. They’re not calling me that anymore.”

In the battleground state of Michigan on Monday, Obama told the crowd that he couldn’t think of a better place to spend his birthday than Lansing.

1. andy rodriguez

May your next B-Day be in the White House!! Yes We Can!!

August 4, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Happy Birthday Senator Obama!!!

I contributed my $47 to your campaign today!!!

Obama/Biden, or Clinton, 08

August 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  3. loribee

Happy Birthday, Barack!

August 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. OHIO

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARACK!

WE NEED YOU!

August 4, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  5. Marsha Boone

To the future President of the United States of America,

Happy Birthday!

Keep your head up high, always have God on your side and don't stoop as low as McCain.

Have a wonderful day!!

Booney

August 4, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  6. sarah

happy birthday, obama.

August 4, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  7. Barbara - Atlanta

HAPPY BIRTHDAY...and may you have many more!!!

August 4, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  8. ber6964

And people say he's too young LOL!!

August 4, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  9. young voter for obama

HAPPY B DAY BARACK. JOHN MCCAIN IS OLD ENOUGH TO BE YOUR DADDY.

August 4, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  10. Justin Athens OH

Happy Birthday Barack.. Please lead our country with respect and reasonability.
    OBAMA 08-16

August 4, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  11. DeeJam - Los Angeles

This is a useless article to read.

August 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  12. Cliff

Hell, No, Griff!!!!! We don't want to have to go through his foolishness and vanity again!!!!!!

August 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  13. Arrey-njock.

Happy birthday Mr. Obama, I wish u the best. Cheer.

August 4, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  14. Obama = Carter the 2nd

There's nothing exotic or complicated about how phenoms are made in Washington, and, more to the point, how they are broken.

"Andy Warhol said we all get our 15 minutes of fame," says Barack Obama. "I've already had an hour and a half. I mean, I'm so overexposed, I'm making Paris Hilton look like a recluse."

August 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  15. John from LA

WHO CARES!!!! although Denise's comment is a Hoot! and Tai-he is not the president!

August 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. Christie, PA

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SENATOR OBAMA!!! May God Bless him with many, many, many more. And, will somebody please find that present!

And to all of you haters, who don't care that it's Senator Obama's Birthday, WHY ARE YOU READING THIS ARTICLE?! Everyone above the ground will have a birthday, including John McCain. So, if you want folks to be nice to McCain on his birthday...........................

August 4, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  17. Lou R

A year older, a year wiser for Obama; for McCain the opposite appears to be true-turns 72 later this month and running one of the dumbest campaigns in recent history.

August 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. Raymond Duke

Not only would he be the youngest he would be the most liberal in the history of the united states. But I don't think he will ever get that distinction. The more the people of the united states hear this man and sees how much of a phony he is the more the glow fades. He will get most of the black vote because he is black and probably most of the extreme left wing liberal votes of the democrats but I don't think too many others will be voting for him. The democrats might want to win but I don't think they are prepared to pay the price with Obama. Especially conservative democrats and any female democrat women after him brushing off Hillary Clinton as Annie Oakely and her 18 million voters and after having his friend the rapper make him a song calling her an irrevelant BI@@H. I don't know about other people but I cannot swallow my pride and let this man, his wife , friends and followers call me an uneducated racist religous gun-toting nut , Whitey cracker and show me with his actions that my wife and daughters or not as good as men and should be treated as servants to men. I do not know how much pride these other women have but my wife and two daughters have enough to say they can take four more years with McCain and wait for Hillarys re-run.

August 4, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  19. Fordy

Happy Birthday Senator. Your birthday present will be delivered on November 4th.

August 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  20. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, SENATOR OBAMA!

Happy Birthday to you Senator Obama! We love and support you and pray that you have many more years, filled with wonderful memories and Blessings!

August 4, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  21. VOICE OF REASON

I HOPE HE FINDS THE PRESENT BEFORE HE HAS TO ISSUE A STATEMENT THAT WHAT HE HAD MEANT TO SAY WAS THAT THE PRESENT WASNT REALLY MISSING IN THE FIRST PLACE HE HAD BEEN MISINFORMED ABOUT THE ACTUAL LOCATION OF THE PRESENT AND ITS A NON ISSUE ANYHOW SO NO REAL FLIP FLOP INTENDED. GO AHEAD AND SAY IT NOW TO SAVE ANOTHER BERNIE CHRIS OR LUDA MAC MOMENT. LOL

August 4, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  22. Walter

Who want's to spend a birthday in Lansing, Michigan? Johnstown, PA is a far better choice.

August 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  23. Proud Sista

Happy Birthday!!!

Trays ~

August 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  24. Lisa

47 going on 15!

August 4, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  25. Wake up America

Your present should be brains for sexist Hillary supporters!

August 4, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |