August 5th, 2008

Hillary Clinton to campaign for Obama

Sen. Clinton will campaign for her former rival in two states this month, according to the Obama campaign.

(CNN) –
Hillary Clinton will campaign for Barack Obama on two dates in August, the Obama campaign announced Tuesday.

She will hold rallies and voter registration drives in the swing states of Nevada and Florida on August 8 and 21, respectively. Obama won’t attend Friday’s event since he is taking a planned vacation with his family - and it’s not yet clear whether he’ll be at the latter date, which falls just days before the Democratic convention in Denver.

The last time Obama and Clinton were seen together was at a New York fundraiser on July 10, when she told donors, “I’m going to do everything I can and everything I’m asked to make sure he takes the oath of office on January 20th, 2009.”

That fundraiser was one of three the pair have held since Clinton suspended her campaign in early June, and just their second public appearance together.

Obama has said on several occasions that he hopes for both Bill and Hillary Clinton’s help campaigning to win in November.

“I am proud to call [Hillary] my friend, and I know that I desperately need her and Bill Clinton involved in this campaign,” Obama said in New York.

1. Tony-Texas

From a life time Democrat...she can do all the campaigning in the world and Obama will never get my vote.

What has he ever accomplished to deserve being President. As far as I am concerned he is barely qualified to be a Chicago Council Person.

WHAT CHANGE...ALL TALK AND HIGHER TAXES.

Tony-Tx.

August 5, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Frustrated

I'm still hoping for a miracle at the convention. Lately Obama's platform has morphed into Clinton's platform from the Primaries. Why do we want to nominate a copy when we could have the original??

August 5, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. win486

I am sorry to see this. I have been hoping that the convention would do a floor count and give Michigan and Florida to Hilliary and get this flip flopper Obama out of the race. I thing Obama should have Tim Kaine campaigning more for him. They are both incompetent.

August 5, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. ao

She should stay away from him as far as she can. Just in recent news he finally got the "audacity" to support a full vote from MI and FL, something he could not support in March (a re vote) or in end of May (he said only 50% should count – by the rules). So where is this guy standing. I admire Clinton's loyalty to the party, but I urge her to not be loyal to him, as he played her and her voters, and keeps on doing it. It's disgusting, so much for his flip-flop lies.

August 5, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Jack Mpls

Obama takes a lot of vacations doesn't he!

August 5, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. Hypocrits for Obama

Would Michelle Obama and Obama campaigned for HER?

They called her a racist.

Insulted and debased her supporters.

Michelle stated that she would have to "think" about voting for Hillary if Hillary were the nominee...

But Hillary Clinton is SO OBVIOUSLY a bigger person, a better democrat, and holds the country's best interest at heart MORESO than either Obama.

The Obamas are out for themselves... why else would Michelle indicate her loyalty was ONLY to Obama as nominee...NOT to any other democrat?

August 5, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. Ann

Don't campaign for this guy Hillary.

August 5, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. Mick

She should get back on the trail...but not for Obama...now that he wants Michigan and Florida to receive full seats.....those are hers as well as half the nation...if not more. Clinton needs to be on the ballot for Americans.

August 5, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  9. Raul Martinez (Latinos for McCain)

Is it true that CNN favors Obama? What a bunch of traitors!!!! So, the attack will be direct to CNN also. Be prepared!!!

August 5, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. Chuck C

Don't understand why, really. He slapped her the face now that he wants all of Michigan and Florida's delegates seated, after she suspended her campaign. Technically, if you count the votes that way, Clinton would have more pledged delegates, and if Obama did what he's doing now, Clinton would be the nominee. Yet she's taken herself out of contention for vice president.

This woman is loyal to her party- to a fault. And the party has constantly betrayed her. As a former Clinton supporter, I will never vote for Obama after he did this. My only hope is that McCain lasts a term so the real primary winner has a shot at the presidency in 4 years.

August 5, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  11. gp

It is interesting that " all mighty Clintons " wont to show us that two thre apearences ARE ALL THEY CAN DO???

August 5, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  12. Des,Toronto

Take that PUMA's!!!!!. Way to go Hillary,even if you don't get VP,I'm sure you will be in the cabinet,a cabinet with diverse good Americans who truly want to help their country go forward.No more deceit,divisions,hatred and illegal activities!!

August 5, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  13. Rex Young

I know she must do this not to lose support of her party, but I hope to see as little of them together as possible. I'm still with Hill and no other will suffice.

August 5, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  14. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Why is every single one of my post prefaced by "Your comment is awaiting moderation." Is Glen Beck the official moderator of The Political Ticker?

August 5, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. Democrat AGAINST Obama

I really wish she would stay out of it and just watch him fail from the sidelines. She's much better than that.

HILLARY 2012!!!!

August 5, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  16. Southern view

When Hillary won the primary election in Florida, Obama opposed seating Florida delegates. He continued to oppose seating the delegates until two days ago, when his poll numbers toppled. Florida does not owe Obama anything and neither does Hillary. She should not campaign for him in Florida or elsewhere. Obama is now proving that he cannot stand on his own, which is what many Democrats who supported Hillary or other candidates said all along. McCain is a has-been, but Obama is a never-been. The people of America are the ones who will suffer.

August 5, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. Miss-c

Well thanks mighty nice of her-
    thanks Hill

August 5, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. Rise Hillary, Rise

I admire this woman for her ability to forgive.

Obama was brutal and nasty and mocking and jeering and ismissive of her.

Michelle was downright dirty and ugly.

They said they would not even vote for Hillary if SHE were the party nominee.

Hillary is big enough to try to save Obama's limping campaign. Everyone knows he can't win without her.

At least she is not being nasty to them for disrespecting her and stealing the nomination.

August 5, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  19. James From Chicago

If I were the Clintons I would sit back and watch Obama bury himself.

Now all of a sudden Obama wants Mich & Fla votes to be counted.

During the primary he was totally against it. Again Flip Flop. If

Fla & Mich would have been counted Hillary would be the canidate.

CNNWHY WON't YOU PRINT ANY OF MY BLOGS?????

August 5, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  20. GC from Virginia

I'd like to see Hillary hold some sort of town hall or roundtable with the PUMA folks. Maybe she can meet with them as the protest at the convention, if they're still around by then. It probably doesn't matter though. At this point I'm certain they wouldn't even listen to her. Still don't see how a group whose entire platform is to run *against* someone – to foster and perpetuate division – can claim they stand for unity.

Oh, and I especially love how the PUMAs are now factioning off. Just demonstrates how confused and hotheaded these folks are.

Anyway, keep it up Hillary. This is why you got my vote a few months back. Nothing requires more fortitude than being gracious in defeat.

August 5, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  21. MCCAIN 08

BILLARY WILL BOTH HURT OBAMA, SO SHE CAN RUN AGAIN IN 12.

August 5, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. Down with Obama

Don't do it Hillary!!!! He is a low life and will never win in November!!

August 5, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. obama is the most dangerous man alive

Too bad Hillary has to do this in order to keep her job and keep her party. Very sad. I hope President Clinton doesn't lower himself to compaign for this liar.

August 5, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. Katja

Excellent –

Mrs. Clinton can help to "unring" the bells she rang during the primary campaign.

I won't call her or President Clinton's purity of heart into question but, as a former supporter of hers, they did deliever a few "head butts" and "kidney punches" in the primary fight that were to off the mark for party unity.

Hillary's influence with so-called white, hard working, lunch pail Americans will be tested. If she can help to deliver them for Obama, her [and Bill's] stature within the party can be restored.

August 5, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  25. Jo

Sounds like something a VP candidate would do. Out on her own in big swing states while he takes a vacation and/or prepares for the convention. If Obama is smart and I think he is, he should pick Senator Clinton as his running mate. Can you imagine the excitement in Denver and beyond to unite the two most popular and powerful democrats on the ticket.

He also needs someone who is tough and will fight back to the attacks by the McCain campaign as well as being inspiring enough to bring in new voters. I hope it is not racist to point out that about 95% of the African American population is extactic to be able to vote for the first African American candidate. Well the same is true for women. We want to be able to vote for a woman on the national ticket also. Hillary Clinton not only brings out the feminist side of women but they also relate to her as a good mother and a loyal spouse. I am not sure that the men of the Obama campaign understand that we really want Sen. Clinton on the ticket for ourselves, our progeny, our country and our history.

August 5, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |