August 5th, 2008

Hillary Clinton to campaign for Obama

Sen. Clinton will campaign for her former rival in two states this month, according to the Obama campaign.

(CNN) –
Hillary Clinton will campaign for Barack Obama on two dates in August, the Obama campaign announced Tuesday.

She will hold rallies and voter registration drives in the swing states of Nevada and Florida on August 8 and 21, respectively. Obama won’t attend Friday’s event since he is taking a planned vacation with his family - and it’s not yet clear whether he’ll be at the latter date, which falls just days before the Democratic convention in Denver.

The last time Obama and Clinton were seen together was at a New York fundraiser on July 10, when she told donors, “I’m going to do everything I can and everything I’m asked to make sure he takes the oath of office on January 20th, 2009.”

That fundraiser was one of three the pair have held since Clinton suspended her campaign in early June, and just their second public appearance together.

Obama has said on several occasions that he hopes for both Bill and Hillary Clinton’s help campaigning to win in November.

“I am proud to call [Hillary] my friend, and I know that I desperately need her and Bill Clinton involved in this campaign,” Obama said in New York.

1. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

open the floodgates, the so-called hillary supporters are about to go nuts on this one...

"nobama no way"

"i'll insult our military by not voting at all cuz i'm an idiot"

"obama has no experience/substance/chance...and i know this b/c they said so on TV"

"mcbush 08"

"i'm just saying this cuz i heard Rush say it yesterday"

August 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. JD

Why? It will be her turn at bat in 4 years if Mr. McCain wins.

August 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. BD

Whew. I'm so glad she's not doing an event with him on Bill's birthday (the 19th) or mine (20th). I can deal with the 21st. I hate watching her do these "unity" events with him. It makes me nauceous.

August 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Fidencio Buenrostro

I voted for Barack Obama in a Democratic primary, because he was not Hillary Clinton. I will not vote for him again if he partners with the Clintons. That's not the change about which he often spoke on the campaign trail but the same old politics.

August 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. BD

Oh, my mistake, he won't be with her. Well that's good at least.

August 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  6. kendall

Hillary Clinton is voting Barrack Obama in November, Some Hillary supporters are going to write in her name, ROTFLMAO. does this bother any other democrats than me?

August 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  7. Mike, Houston

Hillary,

Now that Michigan and Florida will be fully represented, you should call for a full count in Denver. Don't let this fool take the nomination from you. You won the vote.

August 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Denise

And he probably thinks that means her supporters will "fall in line." Aint gonna happen.

August 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. crazy4obama

You don't need the Clintons Obama. They're racist and have never done a single thing for black people other than take thier votes on election day.

Stay away from them. They made their bed of failure and not supporting the black community... Let them rot in it.

Thought they could touch our golden boy and come out unscathed... America never did and never will need the HillBillary combination least of all African Americans!

OBAMA/08/12/Forever

August 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. sam, calif

thru clenced teeth, I'm sure. Sad that he now sounds like all the rest..vasilating on any issue. People are talking about being 'stuck' with these two candidates...our country is in dire straights ..again.. where is Jerry Garcia now? Where are the hippies to march for peace ? We changed the world and look what we've done. I would like to say I'm sorry to the younger generation. We didn't march so Bush could steal two elections! We didn't march so Cheney could be even richer (as the dude who ran Enron learned...can't take it with you-oops, left it all to his wife-forget the 'peons') Oh well. who would have thought the most powerful country in the world didn't learn from history (England,Greece,the list goes on and on and on) Good luck to us all

August 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. Joe Kiloz

Ticker: Bill and Hillary Clinton will put on a full court press for Barack Obama on November 5 th, according to the Clintons they are thrilled to do this without any reservations and because Barack Obama has won the contest fair and square. Further, with hindsight, they now admit that they underestimated Obama "We're thrilled to now support policies that we were against . Senator Obama has shown us the light, and it is very shiny and kind of hot."
    The Clintons also announced they are setting up a national "inflate your tires for free" franchise as support of Mr. Obama's energy policies.

Bicyclists will contribute in solving our energy debacle by checking their tire inflation for free.

August 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  12. Timber

Go Hillary! You should be the real candidate. Let us never forget what the DNC did to you. Keep your distnce from Obama, don't let him bring you down with him, REFUSE to be his VP. I would hate to see you go down with him.

August 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  13. Cyrus - NY

About bloody time!

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. dgal878

Hilary, you greatly disappoint me because your actions of late are making obvious that your interests are not in what is best for the country, but what you think is best for your chosen party. I'm an independant that would have voted for you, but I'm glad we're seeing what you really stand for now just in case you show back up in 4 years.

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. Nicole

I am glad to see Hillary out on the trail doing whatever is needed to ensure that we Dems win the White House in November. Rather she is on the ticket or not!

And to all you "Republicans" posing as Hillary supporters on these blogs please find something constructive to do like help your own candidate find at least one solution to one of the many problems affecting the American people.

And I said it before and I will say it again. There is no way in the hell a "true" Hillary supporter that was supporting her based on her views on the many issues affecting us today would be stupid enough to vote for McCain unless you have a problem with voting with a black man.

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  16. ReverendZ

“I’m going to do everything I can" – for two days?

Hillary, we need you a lot more than that to get Barack elected. If you want to work off that debt, you're gonna need to take a few more steps and shake a few more hands.

Yes, I know that you've already worked your fingers to the bone for the Democratic party, but you've got to turn those supporters of yours who won't vote for Barack (simply because he's not you) – and get more folks on the bandwagon if the Dems stand a chance in November.

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. LindaFerrel

I did not support Hillary as President but i would love to see her as Secretary of State.

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. yankeegirl15

I see big mouth Bill is at it again. They aren't worth the trash they dump. Send them back to anywhere/nowhere. "He did not make a racist comment". "He did NOT have sexual relations with that woman". RIGHT. Liar, Liar your pants are ALWAYS on fire.

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. Doug

It's good to see some unity here. I think this can only help the Obama campaign.

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  20. NoMcSame(Mr. Grumpy Burns)

Why? Obama don't need Billary. She has nothing to bring to the table. No people, No money and no support so why does he need her. Bill is like a spoiled little boy that is still crying like the PUMA peopel. All 18 million of them. Give me a break.
    The white folks have circled the wagons and Obama can't get in. I said last week that most white folks would rather see the ship sink than to have a black man at the helm. 8yrs of bush and now they are crying for more of the same in John McSame. America is still not free. We are still bound and cought inthe net of hate. We don't like or trust eachother and by the looks of things we black people have good reason not too. NO blackman will be good enough to lead this country. To vote McSame or any republican is a slap in the face after all that we have gone through for the past 8yrs.
    Obama08 Only a Dream

August 5, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  21. Unshrub

CNN: Why won't you print comments that are are accurate, concise, and well written? Instead you print comments that are one step above a 4th grade education. Is that a reflection of your moderator or what you think about your readers?

August 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Major Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

How thoughtful of Hillary.........and Obama, with friends like Hillary, who need enemies.

August 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. energy

Why should Obama seek Hillary's help? I thought she is very divisive, anti-black, outdated, Washington insider, bagagges full, etc? Why is Obama not inviting grandma, "the worst speaker in history", Nancy Pelosi? Why not send Tim Kaine or Sebellius; Donna Brazille or Gloria Bolger and Jeff Cafferty or Roland Martin of CNN? Obama can also consider Chris Mathews of MSNBC?

Obama should learn from the experiences of the Gore 2000 and the anti-clinton movement. Win first. Choose Clinton for VP.

Obama for Unity 2008

August 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  24. Arkansas Undertaker

I am a very loyal Obama supporter, but I am have been a CLinton supporter since 1985. I would still love to see both Obama/Clinton on the same ticket.

Win WIn situation!!!!!!!

Dspite everything that happened in the Primaries I still ove the Clintons very much. ANd NO Bill Clinton is no Racist!

Obama Clinton 2008. The Country need both of you!

August 5, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  25. Brina

I'm 100% behind Obama and I really wish Hillary hadn't gone so negative because at one time I really wanted them to be on the ticket together.

August 5, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |