August 5th, 2008

Hillary Clinton to campaign for Obama

Sen. Clinton will campaign for her former rival in two states this month, according to the Obama campaign.

(CNN) –
Hillary Clinton will campaign for Barack Obama on two dates in August, the Obama campaign announced Tuesday.

She will hold rallies and voter registration drives in the swing states of Nevada and Florida on August 8 and 21, respectively. Obama won’t attend Friday’s event since he is taking a planned vacation with his family - and it’s not yet clear whether he’ll be at the latter date, which falls just days before the Democratic convention in Denver.

The last time Obama and Clinton were seen together was at a New York fundraiser on July 10, when she told donors, “I’m going to do everything I can and everything I’m asked to make sure he takes the oath of office on January 20th, 2009.”

That fundraiser was one of three the pair have held since Clinton suspended her campaign in early June, and just their second public appearance together.

Obama has said on several occasions that he hopes for both Bill and Hillary Clinton’s help campaigning to win in November.

“I am proud to call [Hillary] my friend, and I know that I desperately need her and Bill Clinton involved in this campaign,” Obama said in New York.

1. Mary, San Diego

Oh, no; not Hillary again! It's taken her long enough to keep her promise of campaigning for Obama but I still don't want to have to see her phony face or hear her lies again. I've had enough of the Clintons to last forever. I wish they'd just fade away.

August 5, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Obama '08

We live in a racist and sexist society and that is where the "hateful" "disrespectful" comments come from, not from the candidates themselves – just read the posts on some of these entries over the past months and you'll wonder why anyone wants the job of President of this mess.

August 5, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. Informed Voter

Hmmm ... Thanks Hillary!!!!

August 5, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. Chris from Baltimore

Perhaps she's realized that if she doesn't definitively show that she supports the Party and its candidate, in a full-throated way, then the backlash against her in future races (for Senate or President) will be so strong that she won't politically survive even a primary challenge.

Her political future is on the line if she doesn't FULLY support the Democratic nominee.

August 5, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  5. Thomas

Who needs her? Obama is doing incredible without her baggage.

You Hillary fanatics are beyond delusional. She ran a dirty, win at any cost, smear campaign and you have the nerve to say SHE was a victim???? HA!

August 5, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. Shocked

It looks like some of the comments whizzed right by the "moderation" phase. Why are some of you so angry? Get a grip and let's pull together for the good of America.

August 5, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. SZ

"I know that I desperately need her and Bill Clinton involved in this campaign."

The operative word being "desperately."

August 5, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. g. morthole

It worries me that seemingly every time I hear anything about politicians from either side of the fence, I'm hearing about them taking vacation. It seems to me that given our current socio-political status, our leadership needs to have some endurance. These are people living mor-or-less priveledged lives who are being entrusted with the decision making powers for this entire nation and it seems that we hear more about them enjoying their fruits and see less and less of their labor.

August 5, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. Former Hillary Supporter 4 Obama

Hillary is doing the right thing after giving the Republicans a line of attack on Obama. This isn't about Hillary or Obama. If you were actually for Hillary's policy posistions, you would be for Obama just like Hillary is for Obama. Anyone who voted for HIllary and is now voting for McCain is simply showing how shallow they really are....They have no grasp of policy and no real core values...all they care about is putting a white face back in the White House.

August 5, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. littlesky

People should not dismiss, minimize, or trivilalize the lasting bitterness effect of Clinton's loss. Racism, ageism, or sexism – if it isn't one thing it's another. Hillary is a better woman than I. Which of course, I already knew.

August 5, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. James

Hillary's willingness to campaign for Obama after everything she's been through is another compliment to her character and what a great person and leader she is. .

August 5, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe NM

Hillary-ugh. Maybe the old hag bought some new clothes and won't be wearing those butch pants suits from the 70s....

August 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. John, NC

I have really, really been enjoying not having to look at Hillary every time turned on the TV.

August 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. Jeff, AL

I admire you Hillary for campaigning for Obama. You've given so much service to this country. A lesser person would not be as good as you considering how the DNC and Obama did you wrong during the primary. I am trying to make my decision for my vote. Without you on the ticket, I will probably not vote for the Democratic ticket.

August 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. Never Again CNN

I think it's great that she will show support for Obama...against McCain the supposed "straight talk" candidate whose been outright mocking his opponent with false statements and low road ads, caomparing him to Britney, Paris and Moses??? Imagine McCain as president, how many new wars will we have to fight because McCain decides to make fun of the other world leaders. How many allies will we lose when he starts mocking the other leaders who disagree with him. He claims to be the one who will work across party lines...yeah right he will reach across party lines only if they agree with him. Obama is trying to get things done, by intelligent compromise to benefit the American people and McCain's camp claims he flip flops when he will tell you that he stil doesn't agree with off shore drilling but will accept a compromise that will move the real issues forward like moving towards independence from oil period and investing heaviliy in alternative energy. If you want a flip flop look to McCain who really flopped on the issue...

August 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. ANGIE

Well its about time hill you have said this since june where have you been??????????

August 5, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. vote out dems

THE DEMOCRATS HAVE SHOWN THEY HATE AMERICA.
    VOTE THEM ALL OUT.

August 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  18. A Nightingale Sings in Berkeley Square

Oh, my, the hyprocrisy. She already said (many times) he was not qualified for the JOB. So, she either lied then or she is lying now in her support. Either way you slice it, she is a liar endorsing BHO.

August 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. HaHa

The old gray mair is at it again. Maybe she will can help spend his campaign funds like she did her campaign.

August 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Hillary got screwed

I realize this is probably a waste of time because CNN chooses not to post my thoughts usually but here goes.........

Hillary is willing to campaign for Obama and he will be on vacation? Get real Hillary. Dump this loser and run a third party campaign. You would actually win with half the democrats, most of the independents, all of the women and most of the seniors. The perfect storm. Better yet, become McCains VP and show true bipartison politics is not a myth.

To surged out..............comments like yours make me want to puke. Your comments are pathetic and misguided just like your candidate.

McCain/Hillary 08

August 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Karen

I'm going to take a wild guess......that the majority of you Obama supporters are:

Under the age of 25; or, were in your teens or younger during the Clinton Administration (and maybe part of the Bush Jr. admin); started smoking, drinking, partying, whatever – just because your friends were doing it; consider yourselves to be "politically savvy"; and in this case...do not read articles in total. If you read the above article you would have noticed the part that read...

"Hillary Clinton will campaign for Barack Obama on two dates in August - Obama won’t attend Friday’s event since he is taking a planned vacation with his family — and it’s not yet clear whether he’ll be at the latter date."

That makes the score on vacations: Senator Clinton = 1; Senator Obama = 3 (within less than 2 years and while running for the most important job in the world.

Okay BO supporters - go ahead and attack Clinton, me, and anyone else that doesn't agree with your "opinion."

August 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Democrat No More/San Diego

Unless Hillary is number 2, Obama doesn't get my vote (period).

August 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. Christopher, Madison, WI

Stay at home you traitor Hillary. The PUMAs suck and so do! We don't need you. BTW do any of you ridiculous PUMAs even know what swift boating is? Wow uneducated and flying in the face of stupidity!

August 5, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. larry wi

What a guy, finally gets the support he thinks he needs with Hllary and he wont even be on hand to campaign with her, what a message that sends. c'mon on John have some fun with that one. Hillary, you go girl take away as many of his votes as you can, you both deserve each other.

August 5, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Minnesota Voter for Hillary

If I were her, I'd tell him he's on his own. He's has stolen her campaign rhetoric, people and positions. As a woman who supported Hillary, my vote now goes to McCain.

August 5, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |