August 5th, 2008
1 year ago

Hollywood megastar to host fundraiser for Obama

(CNN)—Academy award winning actor George Clooney is set to host a fundraiser for Barack Obama in Switzerland next month.

The event, taking place on the evening of September 2 in Geneva, Switzerland will be split into two parts: a reception and a dinner. According to Obama’s National Finance Committee, tickets for the reception where Clooney will speak are going for $1,000, followed by a dinner at the home of NFC member Charles Adams for $10,000 a plate. Space for the dinner is limited to 75 guests.

Clooney made headlines in February when he told CNN he was hesitant to campaign for the presumptive Democratic nominee, calling it a ‘slippery slope.’

“I feel that at times you can harm the person that you are trying to help,” Clooney told CNN’s Kiran Chetry in reference to campaigning for Obama. “I don’t want to damage anybody.”

Watch: Clooney won't stump for Obama

The Academy Award winning actor officially endorsed Obama early last year calling him a ‘rock star.’ Clooney compared him to the likes of John and Robert Kennedy saying, “Few people in my lifetime, that I’ve heard speak made me want to get up and do something,” but cautioned, “I don’t want to hurt him by saying that.”

Although next months fundraiser is taking place overseas, the campaign specified only U.S. Citizens with a passport will be allowed to contribute to the campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Dylan from Minneapolis

Although I felf that the oversea's trip Barack did was wonderful and the speech in Berlin was fantastic...I think he should stay in the country until he wraps this thing up. It's not that I don't dream of a world where we can work together and get past our differences, but for the less educated and/or greedy American's it leaves his dedication to this country in question. Why??? That's beyond me. Either way though, I gave my support to Barack right off the bat and will support him in MOST things he does.

Obama '08!!!

August 5, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. DC Shogun

Clooney for VP!!!

August 5, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  3. Bobbie, New Hampshire

Add Clooney to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears--maybe Obama should move to Beverly Hills--this is great-a rock star, arrogant, elitist,
    country club President leading us from his ivory tower where he never gets his hands dirty-

August 5, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  4. Tom B.

In his youth McCain was a war hero, while Obama was smoking dope.

August 5, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  5. ROCK STAR? HOLLYWOOD STAR???

AMERICA IS WATCHING, KEEP RAISING THE BAR "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE" YOU CAN DO NO WRONG!! WE REMEMBER LUDACRIS, REV. WRIGHT, FR. PFLEGER, AYER , FARRAKAN – WE REMEMBER ALL THAT AND WE WILL HAVE OUR SAY IN THE VOTING BOOTH DESPITE WHAT CLOONEY AND ALL THE BIASED POLLS SAY. YES, YOU WERE RIGHT – YOU SCARE ALL OF US!!

August 5, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  6. EBC, MD

OOoohhh La La... yummmy George Clooney. I'll take him over OLD MAN John McCain's Paris Hilton and Brittney spears LAME Ads any day.

I mean George Clooney....a REAL celebrity and mighty "delicious", or Paris Hilton? Hummmm there is NOT comparison to OLD MAN's LAME judgement.

It's SAD that John McCain also OFFERED his wife Cindy up to a Biker's Beauty contest, NOT REALIZING that would mean his wife strutting down almost NAKED the the other Biker's girls!! What a STUPID move, this just proves how out of touch John McCain is. He offered his own WIFE without knowing what it meant.

August 5, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  7. Bob G.

Count me in – I'll be there!

Obama for President of Switzerland and emperor of the world!!

August 5, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  8. Tony, Miami

We love you George Clooney

August 5, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  9. Kim, KY

I'm so disappointed...I LOVE GEORGE CLOONEY but I would have thought he would've been smarter than that. Barack Obama can obviously speak well but he is clueless when it comes to the real issues our country is facing. Yes he's good-looking and does have the "rock star" image and I would love to have a President who looked good and presidential and all that but the issues are more important so go McCain!!! We do need change but not Obama's kind of change.

August 5, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  10. johnny

I AGREE WITH DAVID GOLDMAN 100 PERCENT.

August 5, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  11. ChrisD

Name one good movie this guy has made. He's over rated just like Obambi.

August 5, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  12. Weepy

Switzerland? What are the Democrats doing? If stunts like this aren't scary, I don't know what is!

August 5, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  13. caribbean admirer of OBAMA

I hope that Mc-Loser will find somebody to do the same for him. What about Tom Cruise for featuring Top Gun although Mc-Loser never did something to be a Maverick or a Top Gun.

Mr. Budweiser go take e flight!

August 5, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  14. Tom B.

If CNN deletes your posts remember that there are plenty of other networks to post your opinions.

August 5, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. Carl from MI

If I'm going to pay money to listen to a political leader speak... I want him to speak intelligently, use words ONLY found in Webster's dictionary, and can actually form coherent sentences.

Otherwise, you're just giving free money to an idiot... take notice, GOP!!

Remember: Oil is the crack cocaine that feeds the republican habit.

August 5, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  16. banderson

I like this but be careful because I am sure that the McCain camp and the RNC will try to find someway to be jealous and cry to the media.

August 5, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  17. That's Reality

August 5, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. That's Reality

Here we go again, another "star" supporting Obama. They like to stick together don't they? No wonder McCain compares Obama to Spears and Hilton. Of course liberal Clooney would support the most liberal candidate the dems could come up with. CNN is there some reason you won't post my comments? duh...maybe a little to conservative.

August 5, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  19. WhoWhat

I think it's interesting that Europeans are buying Obama's presidency, make you wonder about his allegiance. Look out I thought Obama was the superstar, better tell Clooney to get out of the way of the Messiah.

August 5, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  20. Wendy

I knew there was something I liked about George Clooney.

August 5, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  21. Chula

The LAST thing we need is a ROCK STAR in the White House.

Isn't that how BUSH got elected.....because he was the "cool one"

NO OBAMA

August 5, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  22. PUMA 4 HILL

I use to think Clooney was okay, now I know I was wrong.

Where's the beef Obama??

NO BEEF! NOBAMA!!!

August 5, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  23. Tom

Well George Clooney is right he is a Rock Star, and I would not put him in the league of John and Bobby Kennedy. They were not Rock Stars. They were about helping others more than all about themselves as in Obama. I met Bobby in l964 and I volunteer for his short Presidential bid in l968.

August 5, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  24. bk

Yep Hollywood Obama. No substance just reads speeches.

August 5, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  25. Mr Grahmm

McCain is invited since he is also voting for Obama.
    Better judegment is always better than prestige.

war war war
    surge surge surge
    drill drill drill

what happened to you Mr McCaine ???? 8 years or party line voting is no Maverick..

August 5, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |