August 5th, 2008

New Obama ad takes aim at McCain's positive spot

(CNN)—Barack Obama's campaign responded to John McCain's first positive ad of the past several days– an ad that emphasized his independent reputation –with a new spot Tuesday that looked to tie the Arizona senator to President Bush.

Obama’s 30 second spot called “Original,” uses part of McCain’s ad “broken” also released Tuesday, where the announcer calls McCain “the original maverick,” and then paints the word “really?” across the screen.

The ad flashes to a video clip of McCain in May of 2003 saying he and President Bush are lockstep on most issues.

“The president and I agree on most issues. There was a recent study that showed that I voted with the president over ninety percent of the time…” McCain says in Obama’s ad.

The ad continues on by asking the viewer if McCain is in fact the “original maverick? Or just more of the same?”

Full script after the jump

“Original”

:30 for TV

MCCAIN AD:
He’s the original maverick.

SILENT SUPER:
Really?

MCCAIN:

VO:

John McCain supports Bush’s tax cuts for millionaires, but nothing for a hundred million households.

He’s for billions in new oil company giveaways, while gas prices soar.

And for tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas.

The original maverick?

Or just more of the same?

I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Used2bdemocrat

I cannot understand how so many people in this country are so ignorant. It is evident that most come from broken homes where onl one parent was presnt whne they were either not working or out on a date. The reason I say this is because they were eveidently not taught values, not taught that people are typically just as the ones they surround themselves by. Anyone who can overlook the history of obama has a serious character flaw. His history reaks of black power racism, marxism and socialism. He no history in administering anything. There is something inherently wrong with anyone who cannot reason any better than to vote for obama. America is in trouble when the people who are decendants of those who built this country. finally die out. I could never vote against America by voting for this racist, marxist, socialist fraud called obama.

August 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  2. Karen, NJ

This is EXCELLENT. Oh Marie from California WHAT ARE YOU FOR?? Really? I guess life is good in California, I guess gas is still $2.50 per gallon out there huh? You sound like one of those whiners that John McCain's surrogates referred to. Sorry had to address that "If Not Hillary, then McCain! Please go ahead vote for McCain. I also guess you believe that Anthrax originated in Iraq since McCain is on record saying that he "thinks" it originated in Iraq – knowing full well that it was not. Between Obama, Clinton and McCain – he has missed more senate votes than any of them. WHERE WAS HE? WHAT HAS HE DONE FOR HIS COUNTRY LATELY??? C'mon McCain is not the best candidate. Listen – I was a Hillary supporter too BUT I will not vote for McCain. WHO IS HE ANYWAY! We know his background but what's he been up to. Why does he own 9 houses in today's economic or where $550 shoes – I certainly relate to this man – WHAT ARE HIS VALUES. Go ahead – buy your private plane to get around California the way the McCain's do in Arizona I'm sure you can afford that as well. Guess you want Roe vs. Wade revisited also by a McCain administration. Oh also as McCain says – the homeowners who are about to lose their homes MUST work it out themselves – it's not the government's problem. Boy oh boy. NEVER McCAIN. Do some real research before you post this crap. We don't need a third term of corruption and the establishment.

If not Hillary – then Obama!!

August 5, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  3. Kathy

Of course John McCain does not want us to inflate our tirers and save money. His BUDS would cry, the oil lobbists on his bus!!!!! Next thing you know we will be drinking less beer tOOOOO!!!!! Give the man what he is dishing out Obama. McCain is the McSame as Bush

August 5, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  4. Ben

Awesome – It is about time that McCain's attack anything that moves and lie to do so strategy has been called out. McCain has infuriated me (an independent) lately with his disgusting attacks. I'll be curious if Obama attacks with lies or real contrasts in his responses that are finally seeming to come on line.

August 5, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  5. keepitreal50

Come on! McCcain is Mike Tyson. Bite his ear off McCain. Obama is Riddick Bowe. An upset, surprise knock out. Obama 08

August 5, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  6. janie gutierrez

OBAMA SURE HAS ALL YOU BELIEVERS MISMERIZED MAYBE YOU SHOULD RENT THE DVD THE OMEN AND MAYBE SEE WHAT ALOT OF BLINDED AMERICANS ARE BECOMING. LETS BE REALISTIC THE MAN IS NOT EVEN AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND THERE IS PROOF HE ATTENDED MUSLIM SCHOOLS AND JUST BECAUSE IT SHINES DOES NOT MEAN IT IS GOLD. A DEMO. VOTING REPUBLICAN AND HISPANIC WHICH MEANS THERE ARE MANY LATINS NOT INTEREST IN THE FAKE GOLD AND MANY MANY WHO ARE TIRED OF HEARING ALL THE RACIST B/S THAT OBAMA STARTED GET OVER IT OBAMA YOU ARE A HALF BREED NOT ALL BLACK AND NOT ALL WHITE SO JUST TRY BEING YOURSELF IT USUALLY WORKS BEST

August 5, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  7. Used2bdemocrat

From all accounts, the economy was doing quite well when the democrats took control of the house and the senate back in 2006. What happened?

August 5, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  8. Bob G.

C'mon Barry – Don't spend my hard earned donation talking about McCain. Spend it talking about the REAL you – whoever you are?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

August 5, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  9. Sally

Between this ad and Paris Hilton's rebuttal to "Celebrity", looks like McCain is losing the ad wars this week. That's what you get for playing dirty – hahahahahahaha!!!

August 5, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  10. Peachy Keen

It's nice to see Obama getting aggressive in his ads, but not using sillyness. Using McCain's own words against him, staying factual and getting the point across is the correct way to run a campaign. It will also be the best way to run this country.

Obama 08/12

August 5, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  11. Debby, NJ

WAY TO GO BARACK !!!
    CHANGE IS COMING !!!

August 5, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  12. Jay

I love it!!! Obama starting to show a little toughness. I like it!!! It's time to hit back on McCain and his 26 YEARS of non action with renewable energy!!!

August 5, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  13. Proud American

Hit em where it hurts... with the truth.
    Obama '08

August 5, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  14. Lou R

Maverick is a mythology, one built to create an image which is a far departure from McCain's reality. The latest face is the one being painted by his Rovian campaign minions. The multiple faces of John McCain makes one ask, "will the real John McCain stand up."

August 5, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  15. FlaDem

GOBAMA! I'm so glad to see Obama fight back. It's about time. I don't know why they waited so long......there is just so much to say....how they held back this long is beyond me......I hope we see a lot more of the same.

GOBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 5, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  16. Brandon

So much for change. Obama wouldn't know change if it bit him in the butt. All he does is preach the same Democratic BS. The only difference is that he uses bigger words. If he supports CHANGE, than why are the students in the Illinois schools protesting about their limited school funding. Shouldn't Illinois schools be perfect. If he can't fix the schools in his home state than I shutter to think about what he would do to the country. At least President Bush doesn't want to take away our rights according to our Constitution. Obama wants to burn the Constitution, especially the 2nd amendment. He can't just pick apart the Constitution, (keep the parts he likes and take away the parts he doesn't like)

August 5, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  17. LINDA

OK...This is my ..BIG THING....HAS ANYONE THOUGHT of this while Sen.McCain wants to build more 45 to be exact PLANT,s..First who want,s them in there town and near there home also does anyone REMEMBER 3-MILE ISLAND. DO YOU PEOPLE AND SEN McCAIN WAS A U.S. SEN. AT THAT TIME. Let,s think of that shell we. when it come,s to these nuc. Plant,s

August 5, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  18. Carl Justus

McCain acts more like McBush everyday. One day he says he has a plan and the next he says he will continue the failed policies of the worst administration in history, maybe even the history of the world.
    What other country has BORROWED 4 TRILLION DOLLARS IN 8 YEARS, I DO NOT KNOW OF ANY.
    WE WILL BE LUCKY TO MAKE IT TO JANUARY 20, 2009 AT NOON BEFORE WE HAVE TO FILE FOR BANKRUPTCY AND THIS IS CALLED A "CONSERVATIVE " ADMINISTRATION????
    WHAT A JOKE, IT WOULD FUNNY IF IT WAS SOME OTHER COUNTRY– BUT I GUESS IT FUNNY FOR THE OTHER COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD.

August 5, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  19. Fr. Raymond Clark

Please stop this schoolyard-bully "he said ... HE said" nonsense and address the SUBSTANTIVE issues:

The war, and how to end it
    Foreign oil
    Healthcare
    Poverty
    Infrastructure
    Education
    HUMAN RIGHTS

Father Raymond
    San Diego CA

August 5, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. Mr. Independent

What a bunch of party kool-aid drinkers. First let me state that I am an Independent. I believe both party's will say, do, and promise anything to get you to vote for them. Then once elected, they do whatever they please, which usually is nothing. The one thing you can count on them to do is find new inventive ways to tax you and spend your money. After all, every election since Carter they have made promises about taxes, oil, social security, end wars, etc. In the majority of cases, when nothing gets accomplished they blame the other party for obstruction. This election is no different.

I listened to the debates. Sorry, but Obama is nothing but Mr. Promise. He promises something to everyone. If his opinion falls out of favor, he changes. (Example, yesterday he said he was in favor of another rebate of $1000. Gee, what a cheap way to buy votes at taxpayer expense). I quickly came to the conclusion that he simply is not qualified due to lack of experience to be President and Commander in Chief.

As for McCain, I am no fan of him. If there was a vote for "None Of The Above", that would get my vote. But there isn't, so I have to vote for someone. At least McCain has proven ability and willingness to work across party lines, even when it is not popular within his own party. That is something that this country needs to start doing. McCain at least is knowledgeable about the military; Obama has no clue and demonstrates no respect for the military. McCain wants to drill, GREAT. At least do something! Unlike Nancy Pelosi who seems to want Congress to do nothing. Wake up politicans, IT'S TIME TO START DOING SOMETHING...it was time back in the 70's when we had gas lines.

This country needs to start doing something for the people...remember "We the People"? I don't see Obama uniting people, I see him dividing people. While I do not always agree with McCain at least he tries to work together. They better do something more than just properly inflate people's tires.

August 5, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  21. Franky

"According to the Houston Chronicle, big oil companies donated $900,000 to McCain's campaign in June, compared to $40,000 and $96,000 in April and May. What happened in June? He decided to support off shore oil drilling and backed away from conservation policies. Hmmm."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, that factcheck.org ad that I see at Jack's file about that only about 1.3 million was donated not 2 million? Guess what? Pick OVER!!! LOL!!!!

August 5, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  22. Julie Tucker

I was watching Cambell Brown and I became very disappointed and quite angry because the program No bias, No Bull did not allow each person to speak equally with oportunity. It seemed as though you had two radio talk show hosts and one CNN Sr. Political anylist each giving there points. I could not catch their names but the talk show host situated in the middle was not given a chance to speak as equally and uninterrupted as the other two! This was suppose to be an informative unbiased informational program but I it was not! I am not pleased with the way this was done and I hope in the future you will give EACH of your guests equal time to give their views. It can not be proven but I got the feeling that this station is Republican! I thought you were journalists!

August 5, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  23. Fr. Raymond Clark

PS – add to that list of things to be addressed:

CRIMINALS in CONGRESS and the WHITE HOUSE.

Fr. Raymond

August 5, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  24. keepitreal50

Marie, Why would you say NEVER, Marie? Because JFK was white? Never – is a closed door, Marie. Sounds confederate to me. Maybe alittle jim crowish. All people have the potential to reach those heights, Marie. Whether they get there is another story. I guess you could NEVER be as great a mom as my mom is. How do you like that. Duh? You don't sound like someone I would send to the corner store.

August 5, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  25. LINDA

O yes let us not for get the big OIL spill that just happened in New Orlean,s And the one,s on the oil rig,s in the ocean when the 2big hurricains came how bad they where messed up those rigs,,People think plz. On the new today they said gas is going down because of the spectolator,s pulling out and that is why nothing else.

August 5, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |