August 5th, 2008

Obama: Republicans take pride in being ignorant

CNN

Watch Obama speak out against McCain and the Republican party.

BEREA, Ohio (CNN) – For almost a week, John McCain and his campaign have been mocking Barack Obama’s comments to a voter last week in Missouri when he told her to one way to conserve energy is “making sure your tires are properly inflated.”

On Monday a top McCain advisor passed around tire gauges labeled “Obama’s Energy Plan” to reporters on the Arizona senator’s campaign plane - and the Republican National Committee says more are waiting for the Obama traveling press corps at Tuesday night’s hotel.

Obama shot back at a town hall in Ohio Tuesday afternoon, accusing them of lying about his energy plan and ignoring what experts say would reduce gas consumption between 3 and 4 percent.

“It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant,” Obama told a packed gym. “They think it’s funny that they're making fun of something that is actually true. They need to do their homework.”

“Instead of running ads about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, they should go talk to some energy experts and actually make a difference,” Obama added.

Both the RNC and McCain’s campaign responded by urging Obama to call for Congress to return from summer recess for a special session to pass an energy package.

“Rather than demanding Americans inflate their tires, Obama should be demanding Congress return to DC to vote on a real energy plan. Obama is wrong: Inflated tires are no substitute for oil drilling and a comprehensive energy plan,” said RNC spokesman Alex Conant.

The race took a sharp turn for the negative last week, as McCain released the ‘Celeb’ ad aimed at Obama, who said the presumptive Republican nominee would try to make him look scary by saying the Illinois senator doesn’t “look like all the presidents on the dollar bills.”

“Our politics has gotten so nasty,” said Obama in Berea. “But not just nasty, also cynical and manipulative, right? Where we say things that we don’t mean.”

“I’m happy to have a battle of words because I’ve got facts on my side. I’ve got truth on my side. I fear no man when I’ve got truth on my side,” he added.

1. texas DEM

Obama has issues, but I will not vote Republican.

VICE PRESIDENT CLINTON 2008!

August 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  2. Shane O'Sheeran, Las Vegas, Nevada

Does CNN or any other media go ahead as is their responsibilty and explain to their viewing audience that as per Obama and the facts that if everyone would fill their tires as he said and get tune-ups as he said that America would save 286 million barrels of oil a week according to (Reports even from the Bush administration)! and that is as much as would be pumped over a four year period from offshore drilling, and we could save that much every year, so it would do more than offshore drilling and yet the media does not inform of Obama's facts as averse to the McCain garbage rhetoric. That is what is wrong with this elction in a nutshell, and why Obama is not up by 15%...media horse race coverage VS. actual reporting!

August 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  3. Wisconsin

What is sad is the amount of republicans that just buy this crap. I talked to one guy who thinks Obama is a Muslim that infiltrated a Christan Church for 20 years. With him was another guy who actually said Obama is going to raise my taxes. I told him Obama's plan only raises taxes if you make more then 200,000 a year and lowers it for others. His response, he makes 25,000 a year and in most areas 200,000 isn't all that much really.

August 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. Afinbro in TX

This is a no brainer, McStupid, listen “my friends” as he often say , I want you to be stupid like me, first I want you call the congress back into session so we can get back to the business of drilling. Why don’t his party’s President call them back if it is such a urgency, the president has the power to do so, not us or Senator Obama as he would want us to believe. Secondly, he says that Nuclear Power plants are needed and if he is elected president he would immediately begin deploying more plants, and by the way Senator Obama is oppose to this (he McCain) keeps saying. Well “my friends” Although it does supply power, however the more critical issue to NP is where shall we dispose of the WASTE! Because by the way, the waste is carcinogenic and that is proven. McCain if you want to help the energy crisis…please don’t nuke us in the meantime. But he think we are stupid, well maybe some are. Oh yeah for the tire gauge laughter , when I was a child my father would often say prior to a family vacational trip ” let me get the car check out and make sure that the tires are properly inflated, when I asked him why? his statement was ” so we can get a few extra mile per gallon”. Now grant it the price of gas was not as high as now, however it still helped. Let me say why I mentioned that is because recently, commercial airline carriers suggested that reducing air speed would save a couple of million dollars a year, doesn’t every little bit help?

August 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. Vanessa

Off-shore drilling is not the answer. Reagan opened up Alaska to off-shore drilling and look where that got us. Twenty years later we are in another energy crisis. If we use up everything we have instead of changing our glutonous habits when it comes to fuel consumption, what will we do then? What will OPEC charge then? How would everyday Americans cope with the fact that Saudia Arabia and Venezuela will have so much power over our economy? Fuel goes up, food goes up, no vacations, hard to get to work? Hello Great Depression revisited.

So many Americans support off-shore drilling because they don't know any better. Because MSM doesn't spread the information.

August 5, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  6. BigO

The only thing that seems to be inflated is Obama's head.

I would like to see Baraka Hussein Obama show his birth certificate and his cell phone records from 1999 for the periods specified by Larry Sinclair.

If you got truth on your side, just show us the truth already. Why would you want these "untruths" to continue to fester?

If I was GOP and had the dirt on this stuff, I would hold it close to the vest until right before the GE. And you Obama dems should not comfort yourselves in believing that the GOP hasn't been hard at work digging.

August 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  7. Missy M

Has anyone ever noticed that when Obama is criticized, he responds with an insult? The man needs to learn to accept a bit of criticism. Obama's advice to a voter to make sure her tires were properly inflated was silly – yes, that is one way to save gas, but there are better ones, much better ones. Obama pokes fun of McCain just as often as McCain pokes fun of him – that's to be expected on a campaign – but calling someone ignorant is beneath contempt. Obama should be ashamed of himself. For once, I wish he would simply take the high road and just ignore McCain. Why resort to childish insults?

August 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. Larry, Apex, North Carolina

Hey! Dem08!! What has Hillary got to do with all of this?! Stop being such a child!

August 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  9. Dick/NH

I'm sure now that McCain has found his perfect VP....Toby Keith...certainly fits the mold !!

August 5, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  10. Larry

First of all, most tires are already close to proper inflation, so there is not that much conservation to be had. It is certainly NOTHING like 3-4% of consumption. That might be a max for extreme cases, but certainly not for the average.
    Is it a good idea? Sure. Does it help very much? No. Is it an energy policy? I guess it is for O.
    It is obvious that O and his supporters take pride in their elitist, although often ignorant, attitude. So be it.

August 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  11. Ann Romero

Obama is afraid to face McCain in a debate, missing out on these town hall meeting makes Obama look weak in the knees. I just don't think he is up to the challenge. Obama is losing ground in this battle. McCain is far more experience in matters that really count.

Hillary Clinton should have been the party favorite, she could have overcome McCain 100%.

August 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  12. bill s DE

Boy and i glad to hear the truth for a change.

August 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  13. some guy in New Hampshire

Andrew Carnegie said, "As I get older, I don't listen to what people say. I just watch what they do." McCain gives us lofty words and then oversees a campaign that insults voters and distorts the truth. As an audition for President of the United States, it fails. I'm no great Obama fan, but his behavior in the campaign qualifies as adult instead of infantile. I'll vote for the person whose conduct in this campaign I can respect more, and so far that's not McCain.

August 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  14. gwg

Obama lied about the amount of oil that would be saved if tire pressure was checked and now the media and his juice drinkers are covering up for him. If you want the truth, go back and read his exact statement and you will understand his energy ignorance.

August 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  15. Republican who loves OBAMA

Thanks Obama for talking to the American people with respect! This is a far cry from what we have been seeing and hearing coming from the GOP. They are a disgrace! Their strategy is to smear and ruin Obama's character, instead of talking to us about the real issues. I hope America wakes up and votes smart, not this year, not this time!

OBAMA '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  16. H-ROD

MOST REPUBLICANS HAVE THEIR HEAD UP THEIR BACKSIDES AND DON'T KNOW A DAMM THING ABOUT WHAT THEIR PARTY IS DOING THE HARM THEY HAVE CAUSED ALL OVER THE WORLD I DON'T KNOW WHY GOD ALLOWS SUCH A ATHING AS A REPUBLICAN THEY ARE A KIN TO SATAN !!!!!!

August 5, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  17. Kim

How can that Hypocrite McBush posture before the American people and demand that Congress get back to work. McSurge has missed every vote since April. If Congress does get back to work, McWar will not be there.

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  18. tim

Sen. Obama's campaign is losing air. Will CNN stop protecting their candidate or go down with the Hot Air Express.
    Wild to watch
    Fox and CNN.
    The polls are showing McCain coming back and it a couple of cases
    even leading which of course FOX plays up. CNN just blathers along
    about Obama day and night with the occasional time out to beat down
    Mrs. Clinton.
    Forget about Mrs. Clinton being VP. Dump Obama now before the
    hot air express crashes into the Denver stadium. Mrs. Clinton
    accept the nomination and give the party a fighting chance again.

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. PG

Republicans proud in being ignorant? AND THEN SOME!

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  20. theroadrunner

I think CNN is providing a public service by allowing posters to agree or disagree with their articles and those writer's point of view. Very few other "news" blogs allow for the expression of a point of view that is different from their own.

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  21. Sig, Los Angeles CA

You McCain Supporters and PUMA degenerates are put on notice! Don't think for a second you're going to steam roll over Obama – not one second.

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  22. Tim

How can Obama call Republicans ignorant when he won't debate McCain at town hall meetings with no preparation?
    And Obama is willing to sit down and talk with foreign terrorstsand thugs "without preconditions", but he's afraid of FOX's Bill O'Reilly??
    And you left-wing secular fundamentalists still claim Obama's competent to lead? You've got to be kidding me!
    McCain will win in November because he's the most by far the smartest and most competent..

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  23. Robert in Seattle

50% of all people are dumber than the other 50%
    Always has been true, always will be.

Too bad the proud to be stupid all seem to belong to the Republican party. So easy to feed the lie, so easy to swallow the kool aid. They don't seem to have much of a memory either.

McCain, adultering, gambling, warmongering, oil puppet, and liar.

Obama 08

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. Ronnie, New Mexico

CNN--it is 5:50 CST and the first 5 out of 6 articles on your Ticker are either pro Obama or anti McCain. This has been your pattern over the last several months.

Have you no shame at all? Are you an Independent network or just Democratic party hacks? Tell the world what you are.

August 5, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Nice irresponsible, sensationalist journalism, CNN.

August 5, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |