August 5th, 2008

Obama: Republicans take pride in being ignorant

CNN

Watch Obama speak out against McCain and the Republican party.

BEREA, Ohio (CNN) – For almost a week, John McCain and his campaign have been mocking Barack Obama’s comments to a voter last week in Missouri when he told her to one way to conserve energy is “making sure your tires are properly inflated.”

On Monday a top McCain advisor passed around tire gauges labeled “Obama’s Energy Plan” to reporters on the Arizona senator’s campaign plane - and the Republican National Committee says more are waiting for the Obama traveling press corps at Tuesday night’s hotel.

Obama shot back at a town hall in Ohio Tuesday afternoon, accusing them of lying about his energy plan and ignoring what experts say would reduce gas consumption between 3 and 4 percent.

“It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant,” Obama told a packed gym. “They think it’s funny that they're making fun of something that is actually true. They need to do their homework.”

“Instead of running ads about Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, they should go talk to some energy experts and actually make a difference,” Obama added.

Both the RNC and McCain’s campaign responded by urging Obama to call for Congress to return from summer recess for a special session to pass an energy package.

“Rather than demanding Americans inflate their tires, Obama should be demanding Congress return to DC to vote on a real energy plan. Obama is wrong: Inflated tires are no substitute for oil drilling and a comprehensive energy plan,” said RNC spokesman Alex Conant.

The race took a sharp turn for the negative last week, as McCain released the ‘Celeb’ ad aimed at Obama, who said the presumptive Republican nominee would try to make him look scary by saying the Illinois senator doesn’t “look like all the presidents on the dollar bills.”

“Our politics has gotten so nasty,” said Obama in Berea. “But not just nasty, also cynical and manipulative, right? Where we say things that we don’t mean.”

“I’m happy to have a battle of words because I’ve got facts on my side. I’ve got truth on my side. I fear no man when I’ve got truth on my side,” he added.

1. Ketan Ahuja

McCain needs to stop criticising everything Obama does. it was calculated once that if every car in America kept their tires pumped to the manufacturers recommendation, we would save the amount of oil that could be drilled in the ANWR.

August 5, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. jim

It is a proven fact that proper tire pressure, a tuned up engine, a fresh oil change and reducing your speed can make a large savings in your gas bill even on a weekly basis. Right on Sen Obama. John Mccain probably has never changed his own oil, put air in his own tires,or installed a set of spark plugs. I am 65 years old and still do my own work on my car. It really does make a difference.

August 5, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. Zach

I have listened to Jason Grumet, Obama's chief energy adviser, debate with McCain's top aides several times in the past month and it's pretty clear who has a "grip on reality."

Obama's policy is much more practical, far reaching, and long term than McCain's. To poke fun at someone about this serious of an issue is a textbook example of how McCain's team is trying any which way to discredit and make light of Obama.

Hopefully the country will see right through this ploy and not allow McCain to distort reality. We are facing an immediate energy crisis that requires us to get off oil NOW! This comes by giving companies incentives to pursue alternative energy. We don't need to WASTE our money on trying to drill offshore.

And for those of you who would like to drill in our pristine national wildlife refuges....not while I'm around you won't!

August 5, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  4. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

I've worked for two oil companies and since the 1980's one of the various gas saving techiniques both firms have recommended to customers is the have regular tune ups for your car and keep the tire pressure at the correct level. TV ads, advisories at the pumps and gas econoimization campains. Since the 80"s mind you!

So how is it that when Barack only REPEATS know gas economy advice that the GOP thows stones at what their big buddies in big oil have been saying for almost thirty years?

McCain and the GOP are "gas-hos".

August 5, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  5. t

You can do no wrong. When will they be erecting the bronze statue of you for us to worship!

Hail Obama!

August 5, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  6. Vietnam Vet

Listen to Randi Rhodes on Nova M for some intelligent listening

August 5, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

Unfortunately, the Republicans know that a lot of Americans listen to one-liners and read tabloid headlines for their news. When democrats use more than two sentences to explain something they have lost their audience.

I read one comment that said that Obama is lying because everyone knows that people don't drive around with flat tires. (I rest my case).

August 5, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  8. Vaughn

Your ignorant if you think putting air in your tires will solve our energy problem. Nobama!

August 5, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. Bob (NC)

And Obama takes pride in being anti-American – not wearing his flag pin, not putting his hand over his heart during pledge of allegiance and removing the American flag from his campaign airplane.

How could anyone vote for him as President of the US?

Maybe he'll protect us from another terrorist attack because they know he will destroy our country from within.

August 5, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. sweetnsour

This was an excellent suggestion that would be easy for everyone to comply with. McCain doesn't care about saving fuel, he thinks this is a big fat joke as is making fun. He doesn't care what gas costs, he makes more money than we do. I bet some of those folks that got that freebee tire guage from McCain went home and used it. I can see his strategy if you have no ideas of your own at least make fun of the other person that does.

August 5, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. Steve

I'm ashamed of the way McCain and his campaign are behaving. Their comments this week and constant need to criticize is very troubling for someone who wants to be the next President of the United States. Obama's comments about inflating our tires and the impact on energy use were correct. Unfortunately for McCain he and his staff either didn't realize this or were unaware of the fact that his statements were correct. It appears that the entire focus of the McCain campaign is to be ready to criticize anything that Obama says and does as evidenced by the McCain campaign's readiness to criticize Obama if he had visited the injured troops in Iraq. This is not what a decent, informative Presidential campagn should be about. I will vote for Obama in November for so many reasons.

August 5, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  12. Ben

Somewhere along the way the Republican party became the party that ignores scientists, ignores experts, embraces ignorance, and then celebrates it.

It's really dumbfounding to watch.

August 5, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  13. H-ROD

ITS SO FUNNY REPUBLICANS HAVE TO BREATH CLEAN AIR BUT THEY VOTE AGAINST IT, THEY HAVE TO DRINK CLEAN WATER BUT THEY VOTE AGAINST IT, THEY LIVE ON THE SAME WORLD AS EVERYBODY ELSE BUT THEY VOTE TO DESTROY IT REPUBLICANS VOTE TO CUT THEIR OWN THROATS AND EVERYBODY ELSE MUST PAY THE PRICE FOR THEIR STUPIDITY!!! (YES OBAMA WILL SET YOU FREE)!!!

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. Student Dr. Dean

Thank you Barack!!

I've been waiting 8 years to hear someone say exactly what is on every thinking American's mind.

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. Nick

McCain, Obama....neither provide any real solutions to the problem....but no government official really can....that's the farce they have over on the American people who want everything nice and easy and are willing to give away all their freedoms to get the perception of big brother taking care of them.

It was the free market that used to exist in the US (free of gov't meddling) that made it great....now as we progress towards a socialist economy we get to choose between a "sorta Democrat" and the next coming of John Kennedy.....

Either way America is going to be very disappointed. See you in the bread line.

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. tydesigns

Its a pure shame how these lame neocons are so up on McCain. I'm a veteran serving, and I wouldn't get caught dead voting for him. He said no on every stance that benefits vets (VA hospitals, GI Bill, etc). The only time he votes yes it's to send us to war. And yes you do need to inflate your tires properly. They check them each time you get an oil change, but I guess if you're so full of it (old & rich) you couldn't even find the stem caps.

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  17. Peter (CA)

I am glad to see that Obama will not back down. I just hope that the electorate really looks at what the policies of the candidates will do for this country in the future.

No more BS about Britney and Paris, fist bumps being a terrorist sign, Obama being a Muslim, his being financed by Al-Qaeda, and all of the other lies the right pulls out.

The guy has ideas, they are supported by those in the know, and he can not only be a leader of this country, but a world leader (remember when the world looked to us for leadership?).

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  18. JA Cook

When Obama has tire gauges with "Obama's Energ Plan" on them, I'll donate $25 to get one. It's a great symbol for the simple intelligence of conservation. We can save as much as we can drill.

August 5, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  19. purplechiten

Why has CNN not addressed the forged COLB on Obama's "fight the smears" site which has turned out to be a photoshop forgery using his own sister's COLB as the template?
    The story is posted on Noquarterusa.net and TexasDarlin.wordpress.com
    Why is Obama treated with kid gloves and why has he been treated as such since the beginning of the primaries?
    You are starting to make FOX news actually appear to be "Fair and Balanced" and that's frightening.

August 5, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. Phil, Penngrove, CA

Sounds a lot like when Bush said that Americans don't need to be encouraged to conserve, they know what they are doing, etc., etc. Well, just the opposite is true. We need some real leadership, and this includes tires and lightbulbs and all the little things too that could make such a big difference when multiplied millions of times over.

August 5, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  21. Franky

Man, that's deep! Conserves are gonna cry, LOL!!!

...Wai a minute, I'm one so I is true!! LOL!!!

August 5, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  22. Brian

McCain is a joke, and it's becoming more and more obvious every day. He belittles Obama more and more every day, which only makes McCain look weak and petty. So keep it up McCain – you're going to hand this election to Obama!

August 5, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  23. Roger

What did the five fingers say to the face?

"SMACK!!"

August 5, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  24. Panama - Democratic Party Voter

It seems that: although I had a hard time believing it. I have seen and heard many of the democrats that were hoping for Hillary to win, have truly had a problem with the fact that; the majority of the democratic party chose a "mixed race" white & black man.

I have NEVER believed that "Racism" in America was soooo deep rooted.

What surprises me most is that; some "People" (especially those of mexican decent) will give up their own fundamental beliefs, political values, party affiliation and ultimatley their vote, due to stereotypical and down right racial hatred.

I am of mixed races with a white father (Price-Irish/German Immigrant) and a Latino Mother of (Pianetta-Panamanian/Cuban Immigrant) background. Although I claim my race for EEOC and Affirmative Action purposes as "hispanic," I have always been considered to have "Black Blood" due to the dark brown color of my skin. I have learned to accept that some "People" are just simply "Ignorant" (Ignorance IS Bliss...)

Because of hate...will YOU discriminate...?

PLEASE don't let ignorance and hatred sway the vote...
    "Naive & Disenchanted"

Democratic Party Chair

August 5, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  25. Black the vote

Ignorant redneck whit people need to get out of the way.

The Obama nation is coming.

August 5, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |