August 5th, 2008

Obama to make home state appearance with VP candidate

Evan Bayh will introduce Obama Wednesday at a town hall.
Evan Bayh will introduce Obama Wednesday at a town hall.

(CNN)— Speculation swirled around a potential Obama-Bayh ticket Tuesday after Barack Obama’s campaign confirmed the two senators will appear together at an Indiana town hall Wednesday morning.

Bayh, a junior senator from the state and a major Hillary Clinton backer during the primary season, will introduce the presumptive Democratic nominee at a town hall in Elkhart, Indiana.

CNN Election Center: Who is on the VP short list?

CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib argues Bayh, who is reportedly one of the leading contenders on Obama’s VP shortlist, brings three advantages to the Democratic ticket.

“First, Bayh’s service on the Senate Intelligence and Armed Services committees counters Obama’s perceived weakness in foreign policy,” said Silverleib. “Second, Bayh’s largely centrist voting record helps counter GOP arguments that Obama is a typical liberal. And third, Bayh puts Indiana’s 11 electoral votes into play. If Obama becomes the first Democrat to carry the Hoosier State in 44 years, it could be potentially devastating to the McCain campaign.”

Since 1932, only two Democrats have carried the state of Indiana. Franklin D. Roosevelt won Indiana in the 1932 and 1936 election and Lyndon Johnson carried the state in 1964.

Late last month, the Indiana senator held a press conference where he brushed off questions about his odds of joining the ticket — but would not say whether or not he was interested in the job, or whether he was being vetted by Obama’s vice presidential search team.

"I love serving the people of Indiana — and I think any questions about the vice presidential thing are understandable and it’s good for my ego, but I should probably let Senator Obama and his campaign address those kind of questions," Bayh said.

Since then, Bayh has appeared with Obama on the campaign trail and has been a familiar face on political talk shows advocating for Obama’s policies.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Wilkes

I think, if Obama wants to shore up the older, moderate, white, male vote, he could do a lot worse than Sam Nunn. A Southern Democrat has just the right amount of conservatism and pro-military background to counterbalance that refreshing idealism and message of change that Obama is bringing to the table. Give it some thought, Barack.

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  2. DKL

NO Bayh. There are so many others Barack can choose. Bayh may not even like Barack.

O/08

August 5, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. Wisconsin

....

I'm still pulling for EDWARDS!

August 5, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  4. Libs be dopes

Perceived? NO WAY!

He visited there once......that counts.

"Experience you can count on"

August 5, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  5. Sheilah, MN

Obama/Bayh doesn't sound right. I dont' know.

O/08

August 5, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  6. A Woman In California For Obama

I don't like or trust Bayh. Enough said.

August 5, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  7. Olivia

You sure you want to do this,Sen Bayh?

August 5, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  8. An Independent Hillary

This campaign is really too much!

August 5, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  9. Turnabout is Fair Play

Vietnam Vet August 5th, 2008 6:23 pm ET

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    This is a riot! Mcbomb was talkin to some bikers today and they were
    saying their woman were going to sign up for a dance contest. McBomb opens mouth and inserts foot volunteering his wife to compete. This contest is a topless dance contest!!!ROTFLMAO
    --------------------------------

Aww man, you had my stomach hurting laughing so hard, if what you said is true, all I can do is laugh till I hurl. ROFL!!

August 5, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. deb

luis, i see your off your meds again.

August 5, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. Wilkes

So what exactly did Luis add to the debate here except for more rambling, incoherent, kool-aid drinking Limbaugh rhetoric? We get that you neo-cons and PUMA radicals hate Obama and whatnot, but I think the discussion is centering around who the VP choice should be – not whether or not the man (or any man) is an idiot. If you, Luis, are indicative of the typical voter – of either party or candidate – then we are in bigger trouble than I thought.

August 5, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  12. Sherry (d) - PA

I've done some reading and research on Senator Bayh, and I would be VERY open to him being VP. He brings a lot to the table.

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  13. Wilkes

"I don't think I'd vote for Mr. Flip Flop man Obama – even if he put God on the ticket as his VP. Guess that makes me racist?"

– I'd say it's even money that you are racist.

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  14. Bob (NC)

Obama is going to pick the traditional "old white politician" as his VP... figures.

Obama is just another politician.

August 5, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. Franky

Alan, I like the way you think and by the way, he's one tough! sone of a gou!!! You see him at the primraries??

Hillary who??? LOL!!!

THat' the right ballpark...

Hillary who?? LOL!!!

August 5, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  16. S. Boatman

Mccain Is Going To Choose Someone From The Biker Rally So His Wife Can Who The Topless Beauty Contest And Who The Title Of Miss Cow Pie!

August 5, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  17. Sylvia

Chuck Hagel, please!

August 5, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  18. S. Denice

I used to think that Hillary was a good VP choice for Obama for party unity if nothing else. However, these PUMA nuts and die-hard Hillary fans has made me change my mind. Senator Obama can not and will not be forced or bullied into choosing a VP. Bayh seems like a good choice to me. GO Obama!!

August 5, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. Jesse

Why take Bayh when you can have the real thing?

Obama/Hillary 08

August 5, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  20. Alex

Bad VP choice, the DEMs can't get this seat back in Indiana.

August 5, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  21. Jill

If people think that McCain is going to provide to them a better world they better think again. There is only one God or as you might say one Messiah. I hope and pray people would stop and look at Obama as if he is out to get us. This is man has lived a hard life just like many of us live today,he is honest and a hard working young man. I don't want another president that is going to tell us nothing but one lie after another. Let us stop looking at the color of this man skin and listen to his true words. Senator Obama say on task!!!!

August 5, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  22. carlo

Well, An Independent Hillary, God will appropriately jot down what you just said about not voting for Obama even if he were on the ticket. Is it so impossible to believe that there are black men who have not allowed the mainstream to beat him down so he can walk with his head down? Whatever, but I digress...

I prefer Biden on the ticket. He's got hutzpah.

August 5, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  23. Dave

I think Bayh is good, but I do not know if he is the correct person.

August 5, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  24. bill for barack

Hey, Barack was just in MY home state today. Maybe he's considering me for v.p. ............

August 5, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  25. Lisa

I don't care who Obama selects he's not going to win anyway. As a Hillary supporter i'm not voting for him even if Hillary's on the ticket!

August 5, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |