August 6th, 2008

Clinton: I have ‘no inside information’ on VP process

Sen. Clinton will campaign for her former rival in two states this month, according to the Obama campaign.

(CNN) – Senator Hillary Clinton spent Thursday in New York on Senate business, but she couldn’t escape questions about the vice presidential search.

The prospect of Clinton joining the ticket remains the subject of much speculation, as even as some believe her odds of being chosen may have diminished in recent weeks. Reacting to reporters her name may not top Obama's VP list, Clinton told reporters “I’ve consistently said I’m very happy being a senator for New York. I love my work. I love representing the people of New York.”

“[T]his is a very personal decision for Senator Obama and I have no inside information as to how he is proceeding with his decision,” she added. “I'm out there supporting him, doing everything I can to make sure he gets elected and I will do same for whatever ticket there is.”

Asked if she would accept the job if it were offered to her, Clinton did not rule out the possibility. “I will do whatever I can or whatever I’m asked,” she said, “but I’m happy doing what I’m doing.”

Clinton was in Yonkers, New York for a family and caregivers event.

Related: 'Yell and scream,' then back Obama, Clinton tells supporters

1. Chuck

Why should she know or care? Obama will not win this fall no matter who he picks for VP.

August 6, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  2. Chickens coming home to roost

Brian, New York August 6th, 2008 5:42 pm ET

Why do some Hillary supporters think that if they revengefully abandon Barack that his supporters are going to support her the next time around?
    ___________________
    Because 2012 does not matter if democracy is subverted now.

August 6, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  3. trish

It is ashame that Sen. Clinton's value to the ticket was underestimated.

August 6, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  4. Miguel Gomez

From NY. At the beginning of this year, 2 reasons pushed me to apply for US citizenship: Apply for federal job and vote Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. Right now, only one reason stands: apply for federal job. I'm not voting this year, I'd better wait for the next election to vote for her.

August 6, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  5. naomi

I miss Hillary. She wouldn't compromise on off shore drilling.

August 6, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. Chickens of justice

Hillary is the best and Obama knows it... so his over inflated ego ans sense of self importance will not allow him to pick her.

He wants to make history and destroy the party doing it.

August 6, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  7. obama is the most dangerous man alive

obama is not good enough to wipe Hillary's a!ss.

August 6, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  8. Arden

I'm tired of John McCain. I do the same thing to McCain when Pres. Bush is on T.V., change the channel. I'm sick of McCain whining ( what does he expect that Obama has to be heard less and seen less). Tell someone who cares.

August 6, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Cosmic Comedy Queen Go Hillary!!!

Hillary pencil yourself in, we still love you....and don't be surprised if people won't switch over to Obama, he is not YOU!

August 6, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  10. Breaking News

BREAKING NEWS: Obama and his supporters recently learned that they thought their candidate was actually running in a "virtual" election for President in the virtual-world "Second Life". Now they're upset that real people will cast votes.

August 6, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  11. Erick FL

Once Obama picks someone else other that the preferred choice for Democrats – HRC, his #s will only get worst...

August 6, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  12. Whining Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

If Obama loses the election this fall – which is a pretty big IF even by itself – but if he loses, and polling data shows that it was the bitter, blindly hateful PUMA psychos who actually made the difference – another big IF – then I can guarantee you, there is no way in bloody hell I will vote for your Hillary come 2012. I won't be arrogant and try to speak for my whole state here like some people do, but keep in mind that Missouri is important.

I know the way you people think...that only African-Americans, 13% of the population, voted for Obama, but with some help from traitorous white people higher up such as Dean and Pelosi, he was "installed" as the nominee. This is the disgusting thinking that I have seen over and over again, every day in this Ticker. You hypocrites want to get attention as the "18 million" who voted for Hillary, but you want to completely ignore the 18 million who voted for Obama, and act as if only a few African-Americans voted for him. And yet you act all shocked and righteously indignant when you're accused of racism.

Just keep in this mind, if Hillary ever does run for president again: she gets nowhere without the 18 million plus who supported Obama in 2008.

August 6, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  13. Peter E

Would the media PLEASE lay off talking about the Clintons! They're yesterday's news. What, Obama and McCain not ineteresting enough for you?

August 6, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  14. energy

Why should Obama seek Hillary's help? I thought she is very divisive, anti-black, outdated, Washington insider, bagagges full, etc? Why is Obama not inviting grandma, "the worst speaker in history", Nancy Pelosi? Why not send Tim Kaine or Sebellius; Donna Brazille or Gloria Bolger and Jeff Cafferty or Roland Martin of CNN? Obama can also consider Chris Mathews of MSNBC?

Obama should learn from the experiences of the Gore 2000 and the anti-clinton movement. Win first. Choose Clinton for VP.

Obama for Unity 2008

August 6, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  15. Peter E

You know, everybody else moved on talking about McCain and Obama. Why can't you?

August 6, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  16. diana hess

Senator Clinton was not just in Yonkers, she was at Jawonio, a community service provider for people with disabilities and special needs and she was joined by Congresswoman Nita Lowey and Congressman Eliot Engel and caregivers representing themselves–as well as organizational representatives from the Alzheimers and AARP and Respite Coalitions.

I know the VP stakes are on high energy right now, but Senator Clinton's–Senate business was high stakes for these families and funding is much needed for respite care. Is it possible to do a parellel article, on the actual substantive reason for her visit to Jawonio in Yonkers?>
    Thank you.

According to Senator Clinton–If caregivers stopped, just stopped today, caring for their loved ones, caring for their family members, with disabilities, or alzheimer"s or mental illness we would have to find $300 million dollars in care for the 50 million Americans in need. Where will we find the direct care workers, the nurses, the therapists, the support "team" to help them–

I think while the Senator is still center stage on the political front, today showed she is still on the front lines for children, families and their caregivers as our Senator and as the catalyst for funding the Lifespan Respite Care Act.

Thank you.

August 6, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  17. Ratgurl

I must commend Senator Clinton for maintaining her integrity & composure since her withdrawal from the race. There will likely be a position waiting for her in Obama's cabinet.

August 6, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  18. Whining Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

Please note that in my post above, I use the word "thinking" loosely.

August 6, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  19. Peter E

That's the MSM for you... when Obama visits the countries of the world, it's about Clinton. When McCain proposes off-shore drilling, it's about Clinton. When Polls show Obama and McCain ties, it's about Clinton. When China prepares for the Olympics, it's about Clinton. When the Anthrax killer got caught, it's about Clinton. When a celebrity gives birth to another child, it's about Clinton.
    You know Clinton would not appear one hundredth as self-centered if the media would stop putting her in the news about everything!

August 6, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  20. Delegate for Hillary from California

Dear fellow Americans,

If we honestly want to win back the White House we need to have the best team together, Senator Obama needs to have Senator Clinton on the ticket. These will be the only way to bring UNITY to the party, I am a Pledge Delegate for Senator Clinton and will supporter her 100% and if she is on the ticket Senator Obama will have my full support and I will volunteer and campaign hard for him.

Pledge Delegate for Senator Clinton from California!

August 6, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  21. jr

This is like a nightmare that returns night after night after night. It's been a very slow news month so I guess we're going to speculate about this for another 3 weeks. God help us!

August 6, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  22. Kim

This is like a Democrat Disaster Movie. OBAMA should be way in front by now with BUSH AND COMPANY universally hated. OBAMA AND THE DNC SHOULDN'T TAKE ANY CHANCES: PUT HILLARY ON THE TICKET TO ENSURE VICTORY. The race is shockingly too close to call: and Obama cannot afford to let his ego get in the way of a Dem.
    victory in November. His other choices won't do it with this close of a race. I'm begging you, DO THE RIGHT THING. OBAMA/CLINTON 08.

August 6, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  23. MZ

Barack should just let the speculators choose the VP, an have a different VP each week .

August 6, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  24. Don't do it Hillary

Senator Clinto – Please do not sign on with Senator O'blah-blah if he asks you to be his running mate. YOu will do better in the senate and can run again in just 4 years regardless of who wins in 2008. If it is McCain, his age says he is one term and done, and if it is O Blah blah, then he will likely fall on his face and would be beatable in 2012

August 6, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  25. Susan

Go to Huff post on what the clintons are up to. I had hoped for so much more.

August 6, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |