August 6th, 2008

Clinton: I have ‘no inside information’ on VP process

Sen. Clinton will campaign for her former rival in two states this month, according to the Obama campaign.

(CNN) – Senator Hillary Clinton spent Thursday in New York on Senate business, but she couldn’t escape questions about the vice presidential search.

The prospect of Clinton joining the ticket remains the subject of much speculation, as even as some believe her odds of being chosen may have diminished in recent weeks. Reacting to reporters her name may not top Obama's VP list, Clinton told reporters “I’ve consistently said I’m very happy being a senator for New York. I love my work. I love representing the people of New York.”

“[T]his is a very personal decision for Senator Obama and I have no inside information as to how he is proceeding with his decision,” she added. “I'm out there supporting him, doing everything I can to make sure he gets elected and I will do same for whatever ticket there is.”

Asked if she would accept the job if it were offered to her, Clinton did not rule out the possibility. “I will do whatever I can or whatever I’m asked,” she said, “but I’m happy doing what I’m doing.”

Clinton was in Yonkers, New York for a family and caregivers event.

Related: 'Yell and scream,' then back Obama, Clinton tells supporters

1. Bill

Having Hillary as VP for Obama is like the neurosurgeon working for an intern. I hope she doesn't become VP, so she can stay unsullied when Obama runs the ship of state aground. He is an inexperienced lying hack who is being forced on us by the main stream media and the DNC. He has basically bought most of the so-called super delegates with his PAC money and the nomination is being stolen from the voters.

August 6, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. john

Hillary is not an option. Her Washington taint would tarnish the new Messiah's image. Obama blew it when it comes to the VP and possibly party unity is at stake. What an ego...

August 6, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  3. RB

Sure you have inside info, Hill: you're out! Go give Bill a cigar before he ruins your career .....and the dem's chances at winning the White House in Nov!!

August 6, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  4. Anil

why nobody talks about who will be Nader's vp ?
    Condaliza rice would be good choice. just a thought , that is what counts. no good reason. i thought instead of not saying anything , i thought , let me better say something. people say things. does not have to make sense. why to make sense anyway ? just say something. i just did that.

August 6, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  5. Sandy - PA

No more Clintons, No more Bushes.
    Picking Clinton for VP would be the worst mistake Obama could ever make.

August 6, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  6. RJ, CA

Sherry, Atlanta August 6th, 2008 7:29 pm ET

It would have been a 'Great Ticket', had Hillary not been so destructive!
    -----------
    What "destructive" things did Hillary do? In fact, it is HILLARY'S PLATFORM that Obama the Phoney now claims as his own! Get a clue, lady!

August 6, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  7. Susan

We hope Obama picks Hillary for veep.......& he will win!

Obama/Hillary 08

August 6, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  8. BROOKLYN

She really is the ONLY way he can win.

August 6, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  9. Marge Hibbing Mn

The best thing for this country would be for obama to ask Clinton to be the VP. But everyone knows he is so self centered, egotistical and power mad he doesn't want anybody that would take a tiny tiny tiny bit of the spotlight off him. Jim Jones critics said it best, Jones did not want the change he preached he wanted POWER and that is what this egomaniac obama wants POWER AND MORE POWER.

August 6, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  10. Independent

I don't think He knows because he's not the one who will make that decision. DNC selected him to be their nominee so they can control him. DNC will select VP for him and they won't pick Hillary for President nor VP as you a She's tough fighter they can't control her.

August 6, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Rufus from NC

Would one of you PUMAs out there explain to me what the issues are with Hillary? I followed the primaries pretty closely and I honestly don't understand why you feel that she was subjected to such injustice, bias and hatred. I'm not trying to start a fight, but could you provide specific examples of when a fellow Democrat (of any significance) called her a bad name, etc., or when and where the Obama campaign used dirty tactics against her. I've looked at some of the PUMA websites, but I couldn't find any specifics. I know the blogs get nasty, but the only thing I recall that made the news was when a McCain supporter (female) referred to her as a b****.

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm honestly trying to understand why after 8 years of Bush/Cheney you would either not vote or support McCain.

August 6, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. maryann

He needs her to win. She should accept if asked no way. She was treated awful by the democratic party so let those know it alls who did everything they could to get Obama in save him now. Superdelegates, this is your doing. Why is he not way ahead in the polls ? You were so sure he would trounce the republicans think again. Even if he does win it will not be the landslide the democratics were expecting. Your party is a joke and so is your unity talk. You deserve everything you get. As for Nancy Pelosi what a joke. Sure the Clintons have baggage but it is baggage everyone knows about and she still got 18 million votes. So for those dumb people saying she would not benefit him on the ticket , shake your heads. At least you know where she is coming from , can you say the same for Obama.

August 6, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  13. Amanda

I used to not like the Clintons and I didn't know who Obama was, but that's all changed. I admire both Hillary and Obama. Whether or not she's his VP, a cabinet member, or remains a Senator, she will do great things in her career. There's no doubt to that.

People have said Obama has "damaged" the party.....how? by winning the nomination?

People say that if she's not on the ticket, they will vote for McCain. That's just lunacy. If you PUMA people vote for McCain and he wins, do you honestly that everyone from the other half of the party will fall in line and vote for her in 2012? You are the ones damaging this party. You will be the ones responsible for having a Republican president for years to come. Not Obama, Not the DNC, Not the Clintons....It will be YOU and you alone.

August 6, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  14. Cynthia

If I were Senator Obama I would pick the best person that I feel that I could work with , trust, and someone whose ideas ran along the same lines as what I was running my campaign on. If it is Senator Clinton – fine and if I didn't feel that she offered me what I need to run a successful White House besides the votes to get in there I would pick someone else. Those Hilliary Democrats I'm sure are smart enough to choose a candidate based on their lifestyle and wallets.

August 6, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  15. BRYAN STUCKMAN

A LOT OF TALK!
    If you are educated and understand how our governmental services work, what are you as reporters and such doing to make real hard changes happen now. You just report and talk about everything going on. Are all of you happy with what is going on now? Gas prices- is that comforting. When we have a new president a miracle wil just blast forth and all will be better. Stop talking, start doing! That means youi REPORTERS!

August 6, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I am glad that Obama decided not to pick Hillary. I don't think she would add to the ticket of defeat. Obama is a loser. Hillary is a winner.,.

I heard Obama decided to have a Muslim coordinator. I am sure many of his supporters are Muslim and that is okay. I think bam is a closet muslim himself. He quit his Christian Church and for what reason? Who knows? By the way, I just heard Bwana threw the new coordinator under the bus with his grandma.

BTW: Paris and obama are celebs without a portfolio. Both are famous for being famous for accomplishing nothing.

Obama is risky so is Paris; Obama has a funny name so does Paris; Obama sounds foreign, duh so does Paris.

Two birds of a feather if you ask me.

August 6, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. Another grumpy old white woman for Obama

She can support him best in the Senate! We need all the congressional and senate support we can get. Hillary would have little or no impact as Vice President. The congress and Senate are the ones who write the bills. Not the President. Not the Vice President.
    Unfortunately we have been at the mercy of a despotic, tyrannical President who vetoed everything that came before him from our Democratic representatives. By voting for McCain you are voting for 4 more years of tyranny.
    Vote smart.
    Vote Obama

August 6, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  18. Independent

Correction

as you know She's a tough fighter they can't control her.

August 6, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  19. AB

Anyone else but HER!

August 6, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  20. Frank, San Francisco

Sherry, Atlanta

Explain to me how Hillary has been "destructive". Facts would be nice no general statements, please

August 6, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  21. Dan, TX

Clinton already supports Obama strongly. Didn't you all get Hillary's emails? As far as the election goes, it doesn't matter if Obama or McCain wins. If McCain wins it will be the fall of America into a second rate nation. If Obama wins, it will mean American can lead the world. Does anyone really care if America is great or not? I don't think so, or else Obama would be ahead by a lot more. McCain supporters don't love America, they are just trying to take advantage of the poor people who make less than $500,000 a year.

August 6, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  22. non white & non-black person

the only thing that matters is that Clinton is NOT on the ticket. I just don't want to worry that Barack's safety will be compromised with her as the VP.

August 6, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  23. TonyinKentucky

Everyone but the wealthiest or dumbest Republican should be out making every effort to elect Barack Obama President of The United States of America.

Hillary of course is part of the puzzle of VP's but seeing the yellow bellied leadership in the Senate, I think she serves our nation best as Majority Leader in partnership with President Obama.

August 6, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  24. Libs be dopes

Obama/Edwards 2008!

Whoops!

August 6, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  25. dennis from chicago

CINDY LAUPER'S TRUE COLORS the song...reminds me of o bama as he goes through his ego trip like the tire he wants you to inflate HE TOO IS FULL OF HOT AIR///

August 6, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |