August 6th, 2008

Clinton: I have ‘no inside information’ on VP process

Sen. Clinton will campaign for her former rival in two states this month, according to the Obama campaign.

(CNN) – Senator Hillary Clinton spent Thursday in New York on Senate business, but she couldn’t escape questions about the vice presidential search.

The prospect of Clinton joining the ticket remains the subject of much speculation, as even as some believe her odds of being chosen may have diminished in recent weeks. Reacting to reporters her name may not top Obama's VP list, Clinton told reporters “I’ve consistently said I’m very happy being a senator for New York. I love my work. I love representing the people of New York.”

“[T]his is a very personal decision for Senator Obama and I have no inside information as to how he is proceeding with his decision,” she added. “I'm out there supporting him, doing everything I can to make sure he gets elected and I will do same for whatever ticket there is.”

Asked if she would accept the job if it were offered to her, Clinton did not rule out the possibility. “I will do whatever I can or whatever I’m asked,” she said, “but I’m happy doing what I’m doing.”

Clinton was in Yonkers, New York for a family and caregivers event.

Related: 'Yell and scream,' then back Obama, Clinton tells supporters

1. Rebuplican for Obama!

Pssssssst....here's some inside informaition – it's NOT you!

August 6, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  2. Trever

It's so obvious that there is only ONE WAY to unite the party...

Obama/Clinton '08

August 6, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. Vig

Now we already seem to have come full circle in only several months – Obama is stalling out – why? Because Hillary nailed it in the primaries "where's the beef?" As the Peggy Lee song says, "is that all there is"? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Obama is style – no substance. Combine this with his arrogance, inexperience and flip-flopping to score points and we have a loser. So, if the Democrats want to bring home the bacon in November, the delegates need to nominate Hillary and not Obama. She won the popular vote – she is and has always been the more substantive candidate, the leader.

August 6, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  4. sharon

I'm not an American so have no dog in this race, but let me tell you...I've covered this election with interest for months and I,ve heard every debate and endless hours of speeches and talking points etc etc, I have come to the conclusion that the Democratic party,under the direction of Obama was the party to beat but because of Hillary and her self serving attitude and her inabilty to calm and lead PUMA (towards Obama),any chances of a Dem in the Whitehouse will go down in flame. A house divided can not stand . Obama is campaigning with all his heart against not just one opponent..but 2(McCain and Hillary+PUMA) The world is watching and shaking their heads at the futality of it all. It's become a huge joke.

August 6, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  5. Dylan from Minneapolis

As much as i would not like to see a Obama/Clinton, i would rather see that than McCain/anyone in the White House. If it's Clinton that he needs to win then so be it, problems need to be fixed, and they need to be fixed soon. I really don't think a good portion of Americans realize the severity of our situation in this country. None of us, including myself, have ever had to face losing our country...but I feel that it has come to that. If nothing is done soon, time is going to run out. We need to move America in the direction it's begging to go, I refuse to live in a future country where the bottom 98% is opressed by the top 2%...that's where we're headed...we need to wake up.

August 6, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. J. Scott, Texas

Mr. Obama and the DNC should come to the reality that adding Senator Clinton to his ticket is the cream of the crop. We need every vote to will in November. She can give his ticket all the extra votes that will be needed to counter the GOP. Forget about the past and being overshadow by the Clintons and add her to your. This is just what this country needs today. Mr. Obama a smart fresh face and Mrs. Clinton, a VP that can help bring back the good old days with her experience. Both together will be unbeatable.......Please do not let pride stand in the way of good judgement and give John McCain a win in Nov., because that is just what is going to happen if she is not on the ticket.

That is why the Republicans did not want her on the ticket anyway.

August 6, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  7. Lisa

If Obama doesn't pick Hillary he has to be one of the dumbest policitian in the world. The world is waiting Obama, if you want to become the next President you better put Hillary on the ticket!!

August 6, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. JB illinois

Take a looooong hard look at what got away, its a sad thing that happened here. Everybody knows if you want something done right ask a woman. She should be the one.smart ,strong, talented ,tough, expierienced, tried and proved. Hope we're not sorry, but afraid we will be.

August 6, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. scott winter haven

Hillary will tank Obama's campaign in the end. She has more on him than Karl Rove but was unable to use it in the primary because she would have been called a racist. Won't it be great to have a President that will hide behind the color of his skin everytime he is questioned. At least you Bush haters have never been held back from speaking your mind. Hillary will not be denied the chance to return to the scene of the crime.

August 6, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. Dan

Obama's supporters kept telling Hillary to concede back in May for the "Democratic Party Unity".

Now, when it comes time to pick a VP, Mr. Obama says "I want a candidate that is compatible that will support my policies, etc. etc". That clearly sounds pretty self serving and selfish to me. I think the Democratic Party leadership needs to wake up and slap Obama – he needs to realize that if he does not pick her as his VP choice, he will be going against the wishes and choice of 18 million voters.

August 6, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  11. Monti, MI

True is, with additional campaining from Sen. Clinton it would be much more easy for Se. Obama to win in November. However, whatever comes out the McCain campain is for most part crap. The scary part is, a lot of Americans believe it. What I don't get, how some of the Clinton supporter can possibly prefer to vote for another 4 years of same politics rather than for the democratic candidate, apparently just hoping that Clinton would easily win in 2012. If we continue the same politics for another 4 years there might be not much left to be president of.

August 6, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  12. arlene, CA

No to Hillary. I don't see Hillary on the ticket as VP. Obama does not need her. Polls show 75-80 % of Hillary supporters have allready crossed over to Obama. Plus Bill is a problem along with all the other baggage she brings.

August 6, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  13. Anonymous

who is mccain running against? paris hilton? hahahaha, I saw his people responding to paris!! what a joke!!

August 6, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  14. Brian

Better Pick Hillary! Obama if you want a guarantee to the W.H.

Obama/Hillary 2008 2012.. :)

August 6, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  15. Ilona Hussein Proud Canadian

I may be wrong here, so please correct me if need be, but wasn't it JOHN McCAIN THE MAVERICK WHO GOT ALL OF THE MEDIA'S ATTENTION IN HIS 2000 BID FOR THE WHITE HOUSE?

What is wrong with Barack getting the media's attention today? McCain has been in POLITICS FOR 26 YEARS, what else do you folks want to know about him? MAYBE THE MEDIA SHOULD BE GIVING HIM MORE COVERAGE BY HIGHLIGHTING HIS FAILURE TO DO ANYTHING FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DURING HIS 26 YEARS!

August 6, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  16. Ron Nebraska

Why isn't CNN covering the story about the white house forcing the CIA to forge documents justifying the Iraq invasion? Perhaps more in depth reporting of the major crimes of this administration would result in a groundswell call for justice by the american people. DO YOUR JOB CNN!!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  17. Andrew

The vitriol still spewed by Obama supporters toward Senator Clinton is amazing. Reading the comments posted about the "18 million voices march," party unity seems like a joke, and it's not all coming from the 18 million voices you might think. It seems as if former Hillary supporters are welcome to vote for Obama, as long as they stfu and sit down. There is a sense they aren't wanted, or needed for that matter, which is a sure way to hand McCain the white House.

August 6, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  18. Independant Thinker

That is because she is not even being considered.

What a shame.

August 6, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. Independant Thinker

To – Linda from Prescott AZ

Hillary is a great Senator. She will hold much power in the Senate in years to come.

--–

But in order for that to happen, we'll have to get rid of Pelosi and Reid. Neither one of those two will give her half a chance to shine.

August 6, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  20. Ken

Without Hillary on the ticket, I'm staying home.

I've heard many people say that it's still much better, especially for women, if Barack was elected over McCain.

Women have had little to no voice since the inception of this Union. Waiting four more years for Hillary (if she is not on the ticket) would in fact be a better investment than either one of these candidates (McCain because of his Republican platform, Obama because of his complete disregard and disrespect to Hillary and her causes.

In addition, it is time that a woman be giving a chance to run this country (or, at the very least, be the VP with a greater say). Men have run this country - recently - to the ground. It's time for real change, not rhetoric.

August 6, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  21. J.C.

Obama debated Hillary many times.
    Why hasn't he debated McCain even once?

August 6, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. Barack Obama

Even I'm sick and tired of hearing my own voice. :-(

August 6, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  23. Bill

Obama is such a crock. LOL

August 6, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  24. dunfer

I am trying to get into this Obama thing and it just isn't happening.
    I need to hear decisive plans to fix the economy, the energy crisis, and of course, how and when our husbands, daughters, sons, parents, and friends are coming home from Iraq. I want Health care that I can afford, not what my employer cares to dish up that will save them money.
    Hillary has the knowledge, intelligence, and drive necessary to lead our country through all of these tough times.
    If Barack would get over his fear of not being the center of attention, and give credit where it is due, he would welcome this dynamic woman as his running mate.
    We, as a nation, need what they both have to offer, I think. This campaign year has no room for petty jealousy.

August 6, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  25. Former g.o.p.

If you really want to make the right winger's heads explode, put Hillary on the Supreme Court.

Oh yeah, to all the "fake" Hillary supporters, who say they are voting for mccain, is it because he dumped his crippled wife to marry a rich, young blond? Is that the "maverick" you admire?

August 6, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |