August 6th, 2008

Kaine: Virginia could go blue for Obama

Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, left, is Sen. Obama's national campaign co-chairman.
Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, left, is Sen. Obama's national campaign co-chairman.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, a top supporter of Sen. Barack Obama, said Wednesday that while he's not running for Obama's vice president, he will do everything he can to help the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate win in Virginia.

"I'm not running for anything. ... But my highest and best uses is trying to be a good governor and trying to help Sen. Obama in Virginia, which as you know traditionally hasn't gotten a lot of attention in presidential years," he told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

Kaine spoke from Norfolk, Virgina, where he spent the day with Michelle Obama talking to military members and their families.

"I really believe for the first time in 44 years that we have a great chance of getting the electoral votes in a blue column for Sen. Obama this fall," he added.

Virginia hasn't voted for a Democrat since President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964 - but for more than a year, Obama's campaign has cited the state's 13 electoral votes as part of its argument that he can reshuffle the electoral map this fall.

Interactive: CNN Electoral Map

Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor has said Virginia will play a "pivotal role" in the general election.

Kaine, a Roman Catholic, once worked as a missionary in Central America. He can speak about religious values, something Obama wants more Democrats to do. Kaine speaks fluent Spanish, and could help Obama with Latinos - another target group for Democrats.

Kaine was also born in Minnesota and went to college in Missouri, two swing states in the Midwest.

Stu Rothenberg of the Rothenberg Political Report has said the Virginia governor "makes a lot of sense" for Obama. CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider spelled out some of the advantages: "He's young; he's fresh; he's new; he's an outsider."

Kaine also touched on offshore oil drilling Wednesday, saying that while he's "open to exploration" of gas reserves off the country's coast, there needs to be a "new assessment of the costs and benefits ... In order to do that you need to look at the consequences."

Obama on August 1 eased his policy against offshore drilling, saying it could be part of a larger bi-partisan energy plan.

Like Obama, Kaine believes that the government needs to first drill in the nearly 70 million acres of land that is already leased to oil companies for drilling.

"They have acreage leased already that could do significant good," Kaine said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. Ed Ward

Let's hope so.

We can't afford four more years of republican blunders.

August 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. Chickens coming home to roost

Not about blue states or red states- but about the UNITED states.

Obama has divided the democratic party... so he is not the uniter.

I will vote against Obama.

August 6, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. Chickens of justice

Too bad Obama lost most of his own party due to the nasty gutter tactics of attacking fellow democrats: other candidate, ex-president, the democratic party voter base.

Too late to unring THAT bell.

August 6, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. "Pot, Booze and Blow when I could afford it" Obama 95

Good luck...
    I hope Michelle had a good talk with the 15 military members who showed up.... LOL... I'm sure the other 7500 were just busy... or out buying tire gauges so they wouldn't need to buy gas anymore.

August 6, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. RB

This nation and the world could go blue for Obama! Isn't it amazing that republicans cite "other nations" when they talk about lowering taxes but don't want to hear a thing about "other nations" when those nations clearly support Obama? McBush is pulling the wool over people's eyes again. If you're dumb enough to elect another republican president, then those of you who are struggling to survive deserve what you get. You can continue to feel the pain for another 4-8 years. Have fun!

August 6, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. Hans-Erik Iken

He seems a good, honest and loyal man. I guess he could be a good pick for Obama. I like Kaine's face: open and honest. But then again:
    a used car salesman worth his money would have all that too ;-)

August 6, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. Christiansburg, VA. for Nader

Not Christiansburg in Montgomery County ... this here is Nader country!

We love us some Nader down here ... yeah buddy!

Nader came to speak in this area once and I was so moved by his sincerity, knowledge and integrity, there is no one else I could vote for. Seriously ... he is the man!

Nader '08 > '16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  8. Blue in a Red state

If the Dems want to win the Old Dominion state in Nov, they need to conduct a super get-out-the-vote campaign and try to catch the GOP by surprise. The fewer articles like this one, the better. Otherwise, the Reps will pour their resources into Virginia, so as to keep the South solid for their party. None of the political pundits thinks any southern state beside VA has a chance of switching from Red to Blue. But then, most of the pundits did not think Barack Obama had a chance to beat Hillary Clinton a year ago – so Who Knows?

August 6, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. gary

OBAMA IS A BIG FLIPFLOPPER, CON MAN ,MEDIA CLOWN AND BIG JOKE. OBAMA IS SO ON HIMSELF HE PROBABLY KEEPS A MIRROR IN HIS POCKET.

August 6, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  10. Laidetea

I am from Virginia. I am a democrat. I always voted democrat. Finally, there is someone like Barack to expose the Repub's and set things straight for America.

August 6, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  11. Felines for Freedom

I was (am) a Hillary fan and voted for her, but ugh, I am getting so sick of disgruntled Hillary fans bashing Obama and saying they will refuse to vote for him. Don't be stupid. Don't bite your nose off to spite your face. Or when we have George W the II in office come January and all the god awful policies of the past 8 years continue for at least 4 more years, you will have no one to blame but yourselves.

August 6, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  12. Mike in MN

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!, please make me stop laughing. He!He!He!

I thought Democrats only hated Republicans. But I see Obama supporters hate Hilliary supporters and Hillary supporters hate Obama supporters. And the names you all call each other, wow they are the same names you call us. I thought they were special names just for Republicans. I feel a bit diminished now.
    And I see nasty remarks being made about Bayh too.

And Hillary supporters are planning an 18 million person march in Denver at the same time she is going to give her convention speech. They will be chanting for her to rise up. She will probably deny it, but most likely she is behind it. If Obama runs and wins, she will never be President. She will be too old in 2016, she knows this because all the Demes are saying McCain is too old. If she does not run this year or in 2012, she will never be President. So she must either get the nomination this year or make sure Obama does not win in 2008. She has 18 million supporters behind her.

With the Hillary/Obama drama going on, and the way Pelosi and Reid are running congress, it's like the best summer entertainment ever.

Democrats really want people to believe they are qualified to run this country? They can't even run their own party.

August 6, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. Ann Romero

Hillary Clinton the best choice for Vice President.

No Hillary then No to Obama. McCain 2008 and Clinton 2012

August 6, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  14. Pat Riot

I doubt the liberty minded Virgina natives would ever vote for a tax and spend liberal like Obama. I've never seen an African American spit on civil liberties like this man has but he loves his FISA.

August 6, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  15. Taren, Ohio

the entire rest of the world is blue, so why not virginia too?

the red team has done enough destruction, it's time for them to go!

August 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. Sheri

Good news for us dems and Obama. I hope it does happen.

August 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  17. California Gold

I'm starting to imagine how McCain's concession speech will go in November. "My friends we have not lost. We are going to drill for oil right in the Senate, right now, right on the floor of Congress. We will bomb until we don't fear anyone or run out of targets. We will, uh, the economy is robust just like my hairline. Never forget the Alamo and all it stood for and when Moses walked out of the desert, I was right there telling him to surge on and Moses listened to me because I was a US Navy Aviator in Vietnam." Yea, something as nonsensical as that. :-)

August 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. Bayou Joe

yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus, but his name is not Barak Hussein Obama. If you are looking for BHO to improve your life and give you everything you want, be prepared to give up your Freedom
    and the ability to keep the money you earned. This is a Marxist
    leaning candidate, more in line with Castro and Hugo Chavez than he is with you and me.

August 6, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. PaulC

I would hope so. I hope that the IQ of Virginia breaks the 100 barrier and enters the 20th century. You can only take so much BS in support of the ban on stem cell research and gays.
    Welcome to the rest of the world Virginia.

August 6, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. Megan

Aah yes. The `tards are out and about on these blogs today. Barack Obama is the 'great divider.' If I remember correctly, precious Hillary and her hubby were spouting off hateful lyrics during her futile and disillusioned campaign that, thank god, fizzled. Since she finally backed off after more than wearing out her welcome, Barack has done his best to bring together the party. I loved the Clintons until I saw how far they would go to bring a fellow democrat down. They used every fear and hate mongering tactic they could think of to make people afraid to vote for him- felt like if she couldn't win, he couldn't either. Such a sense of entitlement. Even my beloved Bill let me down. Now, to the topic at hand; if such a backward hillbilly state as Virginia has a governor willing to support Barack Obama, that must mean something. The country is tired of the same.

August 6, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. Ardnuas

Come on Virginia voters....... we can do this...... Obama/Kaine08

August 6, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  22. Tejano

There is a reason why Virginia has not voted for a Democrat since
    the debacle with President Johnson. LBJ promoted the Socialist
    Agenda that has ruined millions of Americans that became dependent on the Welfare State. BHO will make Johnson and Carter
    look like conservative Democrats.
    Prediction: Obama will lose in Virginia and all of the South.

August 6, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  23. Fairfax, VA

I sure won't be voting for Obama.

August 6, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. Charmaine, NY

I don't know if I like this guy. To be honest, I really don't want anyone but John Edwards. I think he would be just as honorable as Barack.

O/08

August 6, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  25. Alex

Who is this guy Kaine? He's a Governor from the State of Virginia and is a virtual unknown nationwide. Its tough enough trying to figure out Obama. For Pete's sake, pick someone who people have heard about and know his track record. Evan Bayh is such a person and adds credibility to the ticket.

August 6, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |