August 6th, 2008

New McCain ad uses celebrity theme but omits Britney, Paris

CNN

The new McCain ad suggests Sen. Obama's policies would lead to higher taxes.

(CNN) – Even after becoming the target of a spoof by celebutante Paris Hilton, the McCain campaign is keeping up the celebrity theme in its new advertisement targeting Sen. Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Like the McCain camp’s earlier “Celeb” ad, the new ad “Family,” refers to Obama as “the biggest celebrity in the world.” But the new 30-second spot does not use images of pop singer Britney Spears, Hollywood starlet Paris Hilton, or any other celebrities.

The McCain camp stirred controversy and generated media buzz last week when it unveiled “Celeb,” an advertisement that appeared to suggest Obama lacked substance – a charge frequently leveled at Hollywood celebrities like Hilton and Spears. The Obama campaign immediately responded to “Celeb” with an ad called “Low Road.”

McCain’s celebrity-themed attacks on Obama also caught the attention of the Hilton family. Kathy Hilton, Paris Hilton’s mother and a contributor to the McCain campaign, called “Celeb” a “waste of money” and Paris Hilton has weighed in with an online video spoofing “Celeb” and poking fun at McCain’s age.

“Family” will air in 11 key states, according to the McCain campaign.

UPDATE: The Obama campaign has released a statement responding to McCain's "Family" ad.  "Is the biggest proponent of George Bush’s tired, failed policies ready to bring about change?  Another day brings another dishonest attack from John McCain," said Obama spokesman Bill Burton in the statement.  Burton also disputed the suggestion that Obama would raise taxes if elected. "It’s time to retire these old policies and bring new energy to America,” Burton added.

(Full script after the jump)

Script For "FAMILY"

ANNCR: Is the biggest celebrity in the world ready to help your family?

The real Obama promises higher taxes, more government spending. So, fewer jobs.

Renewable energy to transform our economy, create jobs and energy independence, that's John McCain.

JOHN MCCAIN: I'm John McCain and I approved this message.

1. RC

Johnnie Mc is a load of rubbish

August 6, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. Ian

John McCain approved what message?

August 6, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  3. Long time Democrat for McCain

Another great ad from the McCain camp. The response from Obama's camp was weak to quite weak.

August 6, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. Ian

He'll gladly take your money, but he'll gladly use your children against his opponent. Remind me again of how this guy is supposed to be a conservative.

August 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  5. blue

SNAP!, McCain

The McCain campaign had a longer statement:

Paris Hilton might not be as big a celebrity as Barack Obama, but she obviously has a better energy plan. It sounds like Paris Hilton supports John McCain’s ‘all of the above’ approach to America’s energy crisis — including both alternatives and drilling. In reality, Paris Hilton may have a more substantive energy policy than Barack Obama.

August 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. The Other Jon

"ANNCR: Is the biggest celebrity in the world ready to help your family?

The real Obama promises higher taxes, more government spending. So, fewer jobs.

JOHN MCCAIN: I'm John McCain and I approved this message."

Wait a second... Renewable energy? The keystone of McCain's entire energy policy is to open up offshore drilling? If nothing else, that is the major publicized difference between his policy and Obama's. Yet he claims to be advocating Renewable energy?

Charlatans and liars should not be President.

August 6, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  7. women for obama

Still for the Hill,
    Please get your facts straight. Myself, my husband and my brother in law have all served with HONOR, yet we battle every day to have our needs met. My brother in law served in Desert Shield, Desert Storm, (3) tours in Iraq and (2) in Afganistian. He does not recieve anywhere near the gracious benefits you are referring to. Why, because according to McSame those benefits are to "generous" for him and McSame voted against us. What that means is, instead of support ing the troops McSame voted to provide more funding to the reconstruction of Iraq, knowing good and well that the Iraq government has been sitting on their windfall profits, while the american tax payers pick up the tab. McSame can not afford to pull out of this war, he was the greatest cheerleader to turn away from catching Bin Ladin, and invade and colonize Iraq. If you have not served, dont even try to speak for those who have. As far as his son being in the service, it is common knowledge, but his son is shown respect for his safety, unlike the disrespect his father has for anyone serving since Vietnam.

August 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  8. Obsession the movie

Whether you favor McCain or Obama, see the movie called "Obsession". Or you can go to obseesionthemovie.com for more info.

August 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. Cynthia

If I were a Republican donor I would be mad as hell that he was throwing away good money after bad with those dumb commericals. He doesn't have to look back too far to see that Senator Clinton went negative when she got desperate and never recovered.

August 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. Bill Charlotte, NC

Is "Biker John" and his "Buffalo Chip Queen" ready to help our families? What I have seen so far is an old man transfixed to a script, propped-up by his bleached blond trophy, and yelling about Obama, while offering nothing.... except "DRILL HERE! DRILL NOW!" Oh and there is "I am going to WIN the war, the only way you can WIN it, by WINNING it!"

By the way, those of you who think his energy proposal is so great ("I am going to build 45 nuclear power plants"), who among you wants one of those in your community; or better yet, who wants the radioactive deposits stored in your state? I don't want it in mine.

August 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  11. Peter of Oregon

I want to hear more about how John Old-Politics McCain values family after he encouraged his wife to join an often top-less "BlueChip" beauty contest.

August 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  12. Franky

"Obama is not qualified to be a U.S. President.

All you morons who think Bush is doing such a bad job don't know jack. Liberal media at work. Anything wrong in the U.S. falls on President Bush?? Get real."

Let me get this straight....the President is still popular with Conservatives, right? What is the approval rating of the President?? Has he done anything bad in your opinion(especially if you're a Conservative)?? How do Republicans feel??? And you got it, just connect the dots....ohh and by the way, everybody keeps stalking about Congress, energy, flip-flops, etc. But it seems like everyone is missing the bigger story here.......I I haven't seen much flip-flop than Conservatives themselves!! LOL!!! I thought they were so tough or so smart, LOL!!! It seems to me they're following people who are gonna listen to them........even if they're party(Republican) didn't care for them! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sugar pie honey bunch, you know that I love you..
    I can't help myself....I love you and nobody else..."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  13. B'ham Ron

Sen. McCain.!!! .ahh did anyone tell you that you will need a certain amount of vitality to be the commander and cheif ?

Your stump speeches are flat, sub or below flat they sound like dry whispers.

Granted if elected, you will have power bestowed on you with the high office, however you'll still need to have some get up and up power of your own. What about Ms. McCains needs....she be wanting the first lady treatment.. John, perhaps you should condsider the vitality factor again.

Look man, please take your short on energy, and brains to the end on the line. Better yet, please just go to the ranch and relax.

Count the money you have, or count all the money you block for veterans.

August 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  14. Obama supporter"White, 60 year old woman

As McCain is running on 26 years of experience, shouldn't his ad feature what he HAS DONE to help families during that time?? Shouldn't that be what voters and the press are asking.

He is running on his celebrity as a war hero (even though only 60 pages of his 600 page military history have actually been published) and as a maverick in the Senate.

August 6, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  15. biffington, biff

Mc Fan sais:
    Hey I'm voting for the man who was a POW and refused to say what the Vietcong wanted him to say for early release. He is honest.

_ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

DUDE... DO YOUR HOMEWORK.... THE MAN'S CODE NAME WHEN HE CAME HOME WAS "SONG BIRD" CAUSE HE SANG LIKE A CANARY!!!!!

August 6, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  16. Franky

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help myself....I love you and nobody else...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  17. Donna from Colorado Springs

McStupid continues to drag out the same tired old attack dog ads every day. That is the republican way of doing business, I guess, but I'm really getting fed up with him. How long does he think the public will put up with it? He tries to disguise his anger and bitterness by saying it's all in good fun. We don't nees a pasty faced, whiny old man running the country, Grow up,McStupid. Obama has your number and you know it.

August 6, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  18. Gary Chandler in Canada

SILLY ME should have researched first! Youtubers already have the Cindy McCain Buffalo Chip John McCain debacle all covered. It's HILARIOUS and so is John McCain!

August 6, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  19. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

FORE THOSE OF YOU THAT THIS FACT HAS ESCAPED,

LET MIMI CLEAR IT UP FOR YOU.

MCMORON HAS PLAYED THE WORT RACE CARD, ANY

ONE HAS PLAYED IN DECADES, BY ATTEMPTING TO

MARGINALIZE OBAMA. IT HAS BEEN A RACIST TACTIC

FOR CENTURIES, NOT ONLY HERE BUT THROUGHOUT THE

WORLD. MCBIGOT HAS COUNTED ON THE IGNORANCE

OF SOME AND THE DENIABILITY OF OTHERS.

August 6, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  20. David

the problem with you, Obama, is that you call for "new energy" and change but you do not bring one diddley dang thing new to the table. there will be no change coming from you. not with the advisors you've lined up and the flip-flops you've made (just like McCain) to get you in line with what the public favors. and don't get me started with the fact both these candidates are bought and paid for. it's way to obvious.

August 6, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. California Gold

Mr. Manhood McCain was threatened when a wealthy beautiful blonde female campaign donor threw McCain under her bus over exploiting her daughter for his benefit. Bravo to Kathy Hilton's daughter for seizing the opportunity to put out her campaign video. Seems like McCain has been nicely B-Slapped by two women who are more famous and powerful than he will ever be.

August 6, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. Jacques Kouame

Just to say Good luck, Senator Obama, may god help you to do what American's people want.

August 6, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. Vincent

Tom in S.A. August 6th, 2008 12:05 pm ET

All you saying McCain voted against all those Vet bills have a clue what the Dems threw in those bills that made him vote no. I didn't think so, if both parties quit throwing B.S. in those bills they would have been voted for.

_______________________________________

Tom, I think you need to educate yourself on this one. I am a proud member of the VVA and you are way out in left field here.

August 6, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Mike, Boston

Mr. g and SMILE...

First....why is calling people names all Obama supporters can do? I just don't understand...I gave you a simple social experiment to try if you were interested in doing so and all you can do is call people names.

I am sorry if you didn't like the results of the experiment, but I take my vote seriously.

And yes....I do have a wonderful job, so I am not sure where you were going with that.

And smiles.....I don't know where you are writing from but at least in major city newpapers, there are jobs for CEO's.

If only you both put so much energy into researching the candidates as you do into calling other people names....you would probably come to the only logical decision in this election.

And CNN...why do you let these Obama supporters call other people who disagree with them names? Big Mr. g almost made me cry.

August 6, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  25. LLMTruth

You Obama haters that agree with McBrainless' characterization of Obama as some type of celebrity; I would kindly remind you of two individuals who were and are celebrities.

One is Arnold Schwarzenegger, who based candiacy solely on his POULARITY as the Terminator is running one of the largest state economy's in the country. And not very well, I might add, especially in the aftermath of decreasing all state employee's to minimun wage. Yeah, great leadership there. Where he get that idea from; a movies script?

The second one who was, by the way, one of the most beloved Presidents of our time: Ronald Wilson Reagan. A very popular celebrity President.

Apparently, you Obama haters as well as the Republican smudge machine forgot all about these two individuals. And don't forget baketball player Bill Bradley, former Senator. Oh yeah, that former The Love Boat star whose name escapes me at the moment.

Besides, being popular isn't exactly a bad thing considering one would need to appeal to both sides of the isle as well as the vast majority of people in this nation, not to mention other global leaders. It becomes a lot easier to deal with foreign dignitaries if you are well liked. Not like Dubya who people can't stand, here or abroad. Or McBrainless, who people think is suffering from dementia and/or senility.

The republicans do seem to be ignorant. It seems they would rather have someone who has to show up at Harley-Davidison events and offers up his wife as a trophy for the Buffalo Chip winner. How pathetic is that?

Enough said, you right-wing McBrainless drones!!!!!

August 6, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |