August 6th, 2008

Obama and Bayh deny veep talk

Obama and Bayh campaigned together in Indiana Wednesday.
Obama and Bayh campaigned together in Indiana Wednesday.

(CNN) – A few hours after all eyes in the political world watched Barack Obama and vice presidential contender Sen. Evan Bayh embrace onstage at a town hall in Elkhart, Indiana, the pair stopped at a diner in nearby Portage and denied there had been any talk of the No. 2 slot.

“Nothing today,” Bayh said, according to a pool report of the stop, adding that he and Obama talked about sports and family on the hour and a half-long bus ride to a local diner.

But Obama and his Senate colleague couldn’t escape questions from Hoosiers about their senator’s chances.

“He your vice president?” a woman asked Obama. “You get a job offer yet?” a bulky steelworker shouted at Bayh.

“Shhhh,” Bayh responded, eyeing Obama “with mock stealth and discomfort” according to the pool reporter. To the woman, Obama said, “I haven’t made a decision about my vice president yet.”

Throngs greeted the duo outside the diner as they tried to make their way back to the bus. Obama spotted supporters sporting the gear of his team, the White Sox, and remarked, “White Sox fans, go White Sox.” Nearby in the crowd, Bayh was telling someone else he’s a big White Sox fan.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh
  1. bridgette

As organized as his campaign seems too be I would believe he has already picked a VP and is just waiting for the correct time to announce it. The same goes for McCain, I suspect they already have VP's.

August 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Scott L

Pawlenty will crush Bayh in the debates...

August 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Sharon, VT

Good, I don't like Bayh and I don't trust him. He's a snake and he supports Hillary, another snake.

Kick them to the curb Barack, you don't need either of them.

O/08

August 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. Vanette, WA

I don't like anyone who says "shhhhhhh" to another human being. Bayh is really arrogant and he still wants Hillary to win. Don't pick him Barack, he will stab you in the back. He's a slimebucket.

O/08

August 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. What!!!

Hasn't everyone denied VP talk? I think it is happening on both side. What does that say of the candidates?

August 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

I've been pushing for Biden or Clinton for VP, but I must admit I'm warming up to Bayh. I've been reading up on him...Must admit, they look good together too, lol. I'm sure whoever he picks will be great...

Obama/Biden, Clinton or Bayh, or whoever

August 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. Que Quedas

I agree with Bridgette........it is a waiting game ......who will unveil the "David" first

August 6, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  8. Jerry

I cant wait until November 4 to vote for Obama with 50 of my close friends because CNN and MCSAME is driven us crazy. McCain is the worst old politician along with Bush, we need a change in the White House

August 6, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Jesse

Hillary Clinton is the only logical choice. Why choose Bayh when you can have the real deal?

August 6, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  10. Kelby from Houston, TX

This article has been for hours now and has 7 comments. ??? I guess no body cares.

CNN stop posting misleading headlines.

Misleading headlines made the baby jesus cry

August 6, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  11. Chickens coming home to roost

Don't you just love it when the chickens come home to roost?

Obama never was called a Bit*h or a CUN* or the N word.

Hillary was.

Thanks to the haters for hope, unity and change. Hypocrits forgot your own message and turned to vitriol to steal a nomination.

Shame on you
    Shame on Obama for letting you
    Shame on the DNC for allowing it.
    Shame on the Media for encouraging it.

SHAME ON AMERIKA FOR ITS SILENCE.

Do you HEAR us now?

August 6, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  12. bill for barack

bayh bayh love.............

August 6, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  13. Independent-Latina-for-OBAMA

Since the previous article "Poll: Americans say they have seen too much Obama" .......... I just have to respond to this! First of all many of us are never polled because we use only cell phones so pollsters can't reach us.

Secondly, in a recent "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" he sited a study that showed that the mainstream media, ABC,CBS & NBC, do 72% negative stories on Sen. Obama compared to 23% for the positive stories.

And for McCain, he fares much better with 53% of the stories about him being positive and negative is 43%!

Also, the McCain camp has had ad after ad, making the elections not about substantive issues BUT about Sen. Obama!

ITS TIME FOR SEN. OBAMA AND THE DEMOCRATS TO PUT THEIR BOXING GLOVES ON AND MAKE THIS ELECTION ABOUT THE FAILURES OF THE GOP! INCLUDING MCCAINS RECORD!

August 6, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  14. Bryan

Well Scott I disagree about a Bayh Pawlenty debate. Also Scott you and your Republican cronies think Sen. Obama is to young and inexperienced to be President yet you guys want Gov. Pawlenty ( WHO IS LESS THAN 9 MONTHS OLDER THAN OBAMA ) to be a heart beat away from being President with a guy in his 70's above him. HMMMMM. Interesting. OBAMA/BAYH OR OBAMA/KAINE

August 6, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  15. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

I would like to respond to another blog about the media covering too much of Obama. If you just look at the topics on the ticker today you would see the problem that I see. All negative for Obama and just a couple positive things about McCain. Why don't you do your job CNN and report about the oil company donations given to McCain, the Jordanian influence with McCain, the way he McCain degraded his wife. How about reporting that CNN. That will give the old geezer some headlines. Oops!! Sorry can't do that because we don't want to say anything too negative about the old man.

If you are the best political team in the business then I'd hate to see the worst. You are just as bad as FOX No news and the National Enquirer. PATHETIC.

Try telling some news instead of going on and on about Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. Are you scared we might take notice and your so called poll of polls will show Barack ahead by 30 points and then you wouldn't anything to talk about. Why don't you think about what state this country is in because of the way you kissed Bush's feet eight years ago. You are doing the same thing again.

August 6, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  16. Frank, NY

This will go down in history as one of the most political miscalculations in US history. For all intents and pruposes, Hillary should have been the presumptive Democratic nominee. For those who choose not to remember, Obama won many caucus primaries of states in which the the nominee process is dubious at best. The Democratic leaders, the media and the public have once again been duped by the powers that be. Obama is being setup for failure and will likely lose the Presidential Race unless some major mistakes are made by McCain and his party. My suggestion for Obama is to rightfully pick Hillary as his V.P,, get over the fact that he presumedly would be outshined by her, start thinking of the American people first and start working as a real team to try to correct the problems of our country. The problems , initiated by the worst administration in modern history, need to be addressed immediately and neither party
    should care about stroking anyone's ego. Let's try to get the best team together to get the job done that benefits the citizens first and foremost and stop worrying about who is the top dog.

August 6, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  17. Maggie

I am already sick of seeing Obama's face and if he wins the presidential position I feel I may never watcha nother CNN news broadcast in the internet nor CNN News on tv. He is not the man to lead our country. His ego gets in the way as well as his wife's gets in the way of good down to earth leadership. Obama does not even know how America has survived all these years. He seems to jusrt want and seekd world acclaim. Let us give him world acclaim so he can get off the stage and go back to his small world. He is no ready to lead our country. He does not know the meaning of humbleness adn I am not sure he ever will.Pleas get him off stage

August 6, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  18. Anonymous

in relation to a message posted by some idiot named bro for bro we're racist? you ignorant simple minded freak read your comments all you talk about is black power this and that what does that tell you? read between the lines and be above your group and more educated its obvious why his towel head buddy quit, he's a towel head in disguise himself, let me guess your thinkin obama will improve everything for blacks everywhere right? he's god or something or maybe the next best thing?? try getting an education and a job see if that wont improve your life as well as any one else regardless of race. use logic not hipocracy

August 6, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  19. Charlotte

I will write Hillary on my ballot doesn't matter who he picks. I think he is tired and wishes he wasn't running after all. He has been at this longer then he has been a US Senator. He is putting in some pretty long days and it is showing. I think he is wishy-washy and I absolutly cannot stand Michelle. I think he dreams of his face on Mt. Rushmore.
    or at least a $ bill? Maybe we can come up with a three dollar bill just for him.

August 6, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  20. gary

SHARON VT. YOU DONT KNOW JACK. YOUR A YOUNG HATER. I HOPE HRC DOSN'T HELP O.B. AFTER ALL THE SLAMS FROM PEOPLE LIKE YOU THROUGH THIS WHOLE ELECTION RACE. HRC SURE DONT NEED O.B. AS MUCH AS HE NEEDS HER. OBAMA IS A BIG JOKE AND CON MAN. NOT SAYING HOW MUCH OF A MEDIA CLOWN HE IS. AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY ASK FOR.

August 6, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  21. ben

We will not vote for Obamas wife,nor McCains wife,nor the pope, nor a Rabbi, or a protestant preacher. All this crap about a VP is simply the media trying to make news instead of reporting what is real news! Do you remeber Barkley or Wallace? They were both vice presidents under Roosevelt. Who cares???????????????

August 6, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  22. texas DEM

Bayh (IN)
    Strickland (OH)
    Rendell (PA)
    and ALL DEMOCRATS...

WANT VICE PRESIDENT CLINTON IN 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  23. Rita of Dallas

I hope he doesn't pick a Washington insider. That would hurt him more than help him. If Obama played the race card, then McCain played the relegious card with the add showing Moses parting the waters. SAD

August 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  24. dr. yes we can

the one will pick who and when he wants.its good to be chief!

August 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |