August 6th, 2008

Obama and Bayh deny veep talk

Obama and Bayh campaigned together in Indiana Wednesday.
Obama and Bayh campaigned together in Indiana Wednesday.

(CNN) – A few hours after all eyes in the political world watched Barack Obama and vice presidential contender Sen. Evan Bayh embrace onstage at a town hall in Elkhart, Indiana, the pair stopped at a diner in nearby Portage and denied there had been any talk of the No. 2 slot.

“Nothing today,” Bayh said, according to a pool report of the stop, adding that he and Obama talked about sports and family on the hour and a half-long bus ride to a local diner.

But Obama and his Senate colleague couldn’t escape questions from Hoosiers about their senator’s chances.

“He your vice president?” a woman asked Obama. “You get a job offer yet?” a bulky steelworker shouted at Bayh.

“Shhhh,” Bayh responded, eyeing Obama “with mock stealth and discomfort” according to the pool reporter. To the woman, Obama said, “I haven’t made a decision about my vice president yet.”

Throngs greeted the duo outside the diner as they tried to make their way back to the bus. Obama spotted supporters sporting the gear of his team, the White Sox, and remarked, “White Sox fans, go White Sox.” Nearby in the crowd, Bayh was telling someone else he’s a big White Sox fan.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh
  1. An Independent Hillary

Why can't Obama close the deal? Why is he not way ahead in the polls in a year that WAS guaranteed to go Democrat! The Flip Flop man was a TERRIBLE choice.

Just waiting to see who is VP is going to be before I decide on my vote. It does not need to be Hillary, but it needs to be someone who can bring about party unity. Dianne Feinstein is a good choice no one has thought of...

August 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. Noah

People really should back off Hillary Clinton supporters. First, we are not all women, we are not all Puma members, and most of us have an education. What our problem is is that we see a Party who went with popularity over experiance, let our media run rampant with sexist comments and hatred. Hillary Clinton fought hard. She made mistakes, but can anyone deny that out of the 22 debates, she won 21 of them. She earned a spot on the democratic ticket. Some of us think the top spot, but some also think the second spot. Why would the DNC and Obama deny 18 million plus voters this choice. I have not decided to support Obama yet. I will if Hillary is on the ticket. I am not fond of his other choices and would have a huge problem voting for two people I do not believe in. Obama supporters and Clinton supporters want the same outcome, and thats a win. Hillary gives us that, not Bayh or Biden, or Kaine.

August 6, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  3. Nicole

I will always be a Hillary supporter because I believed in her views on alot of issues that are important to me and my family therefore it would only make sense for me to throw my support toObama since his views are pretty similar to hers.

I would like to see Hillary on the ticket but I won't be disappointed if he didn't pick her. Lets face the fact that Bill comes along with her and he has been totally disrespectful toward Obama since she started losing in the primary. So to all my fellow other supporters of Hillary if you want to be mad at someone if she isn't on the ticket it should be Bill. And stop making all these excuses of why you cannot vote him and be honest and say the real reason is because he is black, because him and Hillary same views on all the majors issue affecting America today.

August 6, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  4. Ardnuas

Tim Kaine is my first choice and Bayh is my second choice..... these are the winners!!!!

August 6, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  5. bz, CA

It doesn't matter who he picks. Its over for him – Hillary has turned him down 3 times, she doesn't want to be attached to this big loser.

He has turned out to be a big joke. and a serious disappointment.

August 6, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. rainbowgirl

Frank, NY you are BRILLIANT!!

August 6, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  7. Texas Trail Dog!

WHO CARES THEY'D MAKE A GREAT DUNCE PAIR. NEITHER KNOWS A DARN THING ABOUT ECONOMY, SECURITY, MILITARY, MEDICAL NEEDS & ENERGY, BUT OBAMA DOES KNOW ABOUT MUSLIMS, TERRORISM, AND HOW TO MAKE LOTS OF MONEY ON SHADY DEALS WITH KNOWN FELONS LIKE REZKO. GO OBAMA THE MAN OF CHANGE. GO RIGHT TO THE DEVIL.

August 6, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  8. Joe Reg

You are right T Coffee, a lot of code words have been flying around averywhere as if only select few will understand; it is pathetic really.

The Mcain people are in going down fast. No more repubs, not this time around.

August 6, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. Canadian black & white man for Obama.

Bayh, is very good man we should really look at the who will help us get Obama into Office. One thing for sure Obama administration will do what ever it takes to prove to Americans that he cares and he can keep his promises.

So, please for the good of democratic party we have to come together and stand up for our interested.

God bless.

August 6, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  10. Desmond, Grand Rapids, MI

Good, Bayh is not good for Barack. He's technically still in Hill's camp and looks at Barack with disdain.

This is not the man for Barack, or America.

O/08

August 6, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  11. No Vice President Clinton

Yes, Hillary should not run with Barack. She should wait until 2012 and lose again. Then run in 2016 and really lose again. I'm so sick of Hillary I don't know what to do.

And to think I was going to vote for her until she went bullistic in NH. Thank God she had a meltdown. I would never have know the real Hillary.

Also, Bill hates Barack, and I'm sure Hillary does too, except she need him to help her raise money to pay herself back. So Billary would be throwing knives at Barack's back. Let the two of them fade into the Democratic sunset.

August 6, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  12. VP Vetting = More Vetting

No Bayh, no Rendell, no Kaine. The only one I want is John Edwards. The others are opportunist and would not be loyal.

And don't even talk about the Hillary. I'm sure she and her friends talk about Barack's political demise every night. You know she is rootin for McSame.

August 6, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  13. Janet

A Vice President's first job requirement should be their ability to succeed if, god forbid, something happens to the President. Hillary Clinton is the most qualified to be President. (In fact, she should be at the top of the ticket.) 18,000,000 of us voted for her and many, many of us will not vote for him without her. For the good of our country, why not put the two top vote-getting candidates on the same ticket? This is the major league, people; not an American Idol competition. We need the BEST candidates we can find to begin solving the myriad of problems this country faces.

August 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. Linda from Prescott AZ

Obama will choose soon, good luck to Senator Bayh.

August 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. No Hill & Bill

And to think I was going to vote for her until she went bullistic in NH. Thank God she had a meltdown. I would never have known the real Hillary.

Also, Bill hates Barack, and I'm sure Hillary does too, except she needs him to help her raise money to pay herself back. So Billary would be throwing knives at Barack's back 24/7. Let the two of them fade into the Democratic sunset.

August 6, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  16. Nanette

Frankly I will be disappointed with any VP. I just don't trust these people. I trust Caroline, and hopefully she will make a good choice.

O/08

August 6, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  17. Linda K.

"Anonymous" didn't have the courage to print his/her name. I can tell you I don't appreciate the comment about "towel heads."

Barack is a Christian but I am a Muslim who supports him. I wear a scarf over my head, not a towel. And you have no idea how hard it is to be a Muslim in America these days. Don't tell me to go home, either. I'm American born and so are my parents. My father fought in Korea. Is that American enough for you? i chose Islam as an adult even though I'm the only one in my family.

In general, don't say anything unless you can speak from knowledge. Thank you.

August 6, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. akaDoug

Note to all you HIllary worshipers: SHE LOST! She lost not because she's a woman, she lost because she ran a lousy campaign and underestimated Obama. Don't like it, then stay home or vote for McCain, then you'll have a Supreme Court that overturns Roe v. Wade, no health care, no end to Iraq, drilling on the coast, etc.

As for me if Hillary is the VP, I will stay home. That right there will show a lack of judgement from Obama I can take Bayh, I can take Biden or Kaine but I can not take Hillary. God help us all!

August 6, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  19. Kyle Ellis in Evansville, Ind.

I think the headline on this entry is completely misleading based on the text of the story. Bayh's "Nothing today" quote and Obama's response "I haven't made a decision yet...." aren't denials that Bayh could be Obama's No. 2. It just means they didn't talk about it today.

August 6, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  20. Noneoftheabovein08

Is this what it's come down to, yet again? Voting for Dumb and Dumber? Isn't anyone else tired of being forced to vote for two under qualified individuals that are nothing more than sock puppets for the wealthy elite? Obama promises hope and change, and I ask does anyone actually know what he means? McCain is part of an old system that needs to be dismantled or pushed into the tar pits. Is it too late to ask for better candidates for what is THE most important job our country has? Bush/Clinton/Bush/Bush and just when I thought they had emptied the barrel of rotten apples, the Reps and Dems pull out two more for us to eat. Spit them out people and demand new ones.

August 6, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  21. Ron Nebraska

Retiring Senator Chuck Hagel would be an absolutely excellent choice. And by the way, all you Hillary supporters get over it! She ran a very flawed campaign and justly lost her chance, it happens. GROW UP!!!!!

August 6, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  22. Informed Voter

Why don't all you People STFU .. Obama will choose you he wants ... this goes for both Obama & Clinton Supporters .. but more to the Clinton Supporters I'm tired of your idle threats

August 6, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  23. aware

Evan Bayh would make a nice boring VP for the tedious waffling Obama! :)

August 6, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  24. Joe

Evan Bayh is a highly respected politician who has all the makings of a great one.
    2 term governor and now a senator from Indiana.
    Many thought he should run for president in2008.
    Obama would be well advised to pick this guy.

August 6, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  25. RJ, CA

All hugs and kisses for two guys who couldn't be more opposite on the issues - yikes, how STRANGE can the Obama campaign get:

• Bayh supported Hillary Clinton during the primaries – NOT Obama.
    • Bayh was an early supporter of the Bush administration's policies on Iraq.[42] On October 2, 2002, Bayh joined President George W. Bush and Congressional leaders in a Rose Garden ceremony announcing their agreement on the joint resolution authorizing the Iraq War
    • Bayh's record is one of a genuinely fiscally conservative Democrat.
    • He was selected by Bill Clinton to give the keynote address at the 1996 Democratic National Convention to reinforce his efforts to cast himself and the Democratic Party with a new moderate image.
    • Evan Bayh appeared on CNN's Late Edition in January 2006 and referred to the "radical, almost delusional nature of the Iranian regime" and . . . their recent sponsoring of terrorism, their search for a nuclear weapon - ought to be a wake-up call to every American. Appeasement won't work.

August 6, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |