August 6th, 2008

Obama holds on to edge over McCain

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s advantage over John McCain remains unchanged – but some voters for both candidates seem to be slipping back into the undecided column, the latest CNN Poll of Polls suggests.

CNN Election Center: View the latest state polls

The presumptive Democratic nominee still holds a 5-point advantage over the presumptive Republican nominee in CNN's average of national polls, 46 to 41 percent, with 13 percent of voters surveyed undecided. On Tuesday, Obama held the same edge, 48 to 43 percent over McCain, and 9 percent of voters said they were unsure of their choice.

CNN’s Wednesday survey of major national polls consists of the CBS survey conducted July 31 to August 5, the AP-IPSOS poll conducted July 31 to August 4, and the Gallup tracking poll results for August 3-5. The CNN poll of polls does not have a margin of error.

1. jack

The only reason that McCain got the nod from the GOP was no smart politician with a future wanted to go up against ANY democrat this election cycle.

August 6, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  2. good morning iraq

Capt. Smash, you are right some people will not vote for a person of color no matter who he is. However, others will vote for him because of his color. Which is worse?

August 6, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  3. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

Obama has consistently held an age. Why, can't McCain get ahead???

So, it sounds like Clinton has tricks up her sleeve for the convention. No surprise there. Tell me PUMA's, etc., If she is able to wrest the nomination from Obama, and does in fact become the Democratic nominee, how will she win over Obama supporters???? Serious question. Will her poll numbers be better than Obaqma v. McCain's??? Will she in fact be 10 to 20 points ahead??? Will she be able to pull in Obama supporters to include AA's, Independents, Democrats and Obamacan's??? Will the Republican's and McCain go after her as they have Obama??? LOL.. How would McCain go after Obama supporters??? These are question's I would like to have answered.

Personally, I am an Independent. I got pulled into this because of Obama, but am not beholden in anyway to the Democratic party. (No, I never voted for little Bushie). McCain would have a hard time ever getting my vote, he would have to retract his statement about overturning Roe v. Wade, for one thing and promise to get us out of Iraq. But, on the other hand, I would never ever vote for Clinton. I would have voted for her on an Obama/Clinton ticket, but I have never been pro Clinton for anything.

Good Luck PUMA's, if Hillary does take the nomination away. You are on your own. The Republican's I know that are lukewarm towards McCain will be coming out in droves to vote for him, because of hatred toward Hillary. No lie.

Only Obama for Me

August 6, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  4. Wisconsin

Hay look its the next round of Hillary voters for McShame (republicans).

So forget that Hillary and Obama have much the same stance.

Forget that McShame stands against everything that Hillary stands for.

McShame: against equal pay, against health car, pro-war, tax breaks for the rich, bought by big oil, and the list goes on.

August 6, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  5. Blinded by the light....

OK you boneheads...let's think about how we are going to cast our votes. You are going to THINK, aren't you?

August 6, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  6. Jay

Obama will be fine. Here is a list of problems with current polling.

1. As someone mentioned, they are missing an entire generation of voters who don't have a land line, I believe calling a cell phone is illegal.
    2. They can't possibly account for the voter registrations that have taken place over the past three months, where Obama staffers and volunteers like myself have been registering away while McCain puts out more negative ads that don't reach the people we're registering.
    3. A pollster on NPR today freely admitted that they are having a really difficult time getting any information from the low income city residents, the population that will surely vote for Obama.

So why isn't Obama pulling ahead? Because the pollsters are asking The Old America who they are going to vote for, and they are splitting with a 5 point advantage for Obama, if they were capable of asking The New America that Obama has inspired to hit the streets and CHANGE this country for the better, they would get a much, much different answer.

August 6, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. Rus

These polls are consistently over-interpreted by CNN and others. The only relevant/ interesting facts are that the gap has been relatively small over time, and Obama has been ahead in essentially every average poll.

August 6, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  8. Allan

Again talk about color. This is crazy. I don't obama at all. I trust C.Powel, C Rice. So, if my family vote against Obama -we all racist. How stupit is it.

August 6, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  9. Allan

Again talk about color. This is crazy. I don't trust obama at all. I trust C.Powel, C Rice. So, if my family vote against Obama -we all racist. How stupit is it.

August 6, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  10. offwallst

BAD NEWS CNN AND OBAMA

I AM TIRED OF YOUR BIASED REPORTING OF POLL RESULTS SO DECIDED TO GO TO MORE OBJECTIVE POLLING RESULTS...RASMUSSEN AND ZOGBY..WHICH BOTH ARE ON THE SAME PAGE.....MCCAIN HAS A SLIGHT EDGE 42-41....

THE TIDE IS TURNING IN MCCAINS FAVOR