August 6th, 2008

Obama touts Bayh, but not as VP

Sen. Barack Obama is pushing his energy plan at an event with Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh.

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama on Wednesday called Sen. Evan Bayh "one of the finest United States senators that we have," but gave no mention of what kind of vice president he thinks Bayh could be.

The Indiana senator, who introduced Obama, has been at the heart of the VP buzz. Political pundits had speculated that Obama might tap him to be No. 2 as early as this week because of their joint appearance.

Bayh, a former two-term governor of Indiana, was a big supporter of Hillary Clinton during the primaries. Advocates of an Obama-Bayh ticket say he'd help unify the party and could shore up some of Obama's weak spots because of his time on the Senate Intelligence and Armed Services Committees.

Full Story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Evan Bayh
  1. Gramma Faye /Idaho

All you people crying about McCain's voting record should take a look at a bunch of crap that was attached as "PORK" to a lot of it. The last vote a couple months ago had so much pork from one of ID Sen. I wrote him and it was not a pleasant letter. I am just glad he isn't running again. Some of these guys and gals will do anything to get some stupid slipped through. Even to a military funding bill. I would like to see that practice outlawed and everything gets voted on with its own merits. Make these politicians earn their keep.

August 6, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Charles

Obama would never select Evan Bayh for VP because Bayh would come across as clearly more qualified than Obama. Obama needs someone who will not overshadow him in ability. Hmmm. Now I see the problem.

August 6, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. Peter

Bayh is in my top 3 best choices for VP

August 6, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  4. Phil in KC

Bayh would be a good choice for VP. So would 2 or 3 other people touted to be on the short list. But I think Obama is looking to inject a bit of surprise factor, either in his choice or the timing of his announcement – or both.

August 6, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Ron democrat turned independent

being the king of mind changers, obama will not select a VP till he as a comfortable lead in the polls. till then he will keep his ace in the hole (HILLARY) on stand by. hopefully it all backfires on him .

August 6, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  6. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

I thought the wonderkiind Obama was picking a candidate with a foreign sounding name like Mohammed or Ashai. Maybe they will become his secret advisors instead.

Maybe he will pick Barney Frank or Larry Craig. I think he likes Larry better since both he and Larry won Idaho, while Hillary beat Obama in MA. By the way Hillary won the mid west; both coasts; and Michigan, Florida and Texas. Tell me again what states Obama won? Oh yeah, I forgot, Bam won Iowa. Give me a break.

Bam is a loser and is a risky choice.

August 6, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. Noah

If anyone actually thinks Hillary supporters will support Obama because of Bayh are dillusional..I can not get behind my party unless they do right by Clinton, who broke records this primary season. I want Clinton on the ticket, she earned my vote and it should be voters choice who will be second in command. Silly that we do not have a say in that position. Well, my say is its Clinton or I stay home.

August 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |