August 6th, 2008

Poll: Americans say they have seen too much Obama

Americans have seen too much coverage of Obama, a new poll suggests.
Americans have seen too much coverage of Obama, a new poll suggests.

(CNN)— John McCain’s campaign has spent the summer complaining about Barack Obama’s dominance of the news cycle. Now, a new poll suggests a majority of Americans may agree.

A Pew Research Center poll released Wednesday found that since January, Americans think Obama’s visibility has overshadowed John McCain 76 percent to 11 percent. The survey, conducted via telephone interviews on 1,000 adults shows 48 percent of those questioned think there is too much media coverage of the presumptive Democratic nominee, and only 10 percent said there is too little.

In contrast, those polled said they have heard too little about presumptive Republican nominee John McCain: 38 percent said there is not enough coverage of the Arizona senator, and 26 percent think there is too much.

There is, however, a break across party lines: Republicans said they have heard too much about Obama and too little about McCain. Meanwhile, 57 percent of Democrats think the coverage of their party’s presumptive nominee has been just right.

While the poll shows citizens feel coverage of the candidates is not been equal in time, it does show they have seen virtually equal amounts of campaign commercials from both presumptive nominees. Fifty-five percent said they have seen a McCain commercial and 58 percent said they have seen an Obama spot.

The poll has a sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. orlando

Yes. I have seen Obama all the time on TV and I have seen that he changes his mind all the time. Obama is a person who changes at every second. Obama is a person who does anything to win.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. CitizenAJ

I agree with my man Jack. How about a haitus of campaign stories, speeches, town halls and ads until the democratic national convention. The media has went over the top! I still support the real choice in this campaign, Senator Obama, but leave the man alone for a while, John McCain too. Thank you media!

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. Observer

Ummm...I'm kind of tired of the overblown news coverage on the campaigns, whether it's Obama or McCain. Every day we hear there's a new poll out showing either Obama or McCain in trouble, and things are a possible catastrophy for one of the campaigns. Then the next day, we hear just the opposite point of view. For the most part what I'm hearing is superficial stuff. What I'm not hearing is SUBSTANCE. That's the media's fault, not Obama's or McCain's. Oh well, once the Olympics get here the news coverage on the campaigns will die down.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Barack Obama is Our 44th president! YES WE CAN !

This is definitely no negative reflection on Sen. Obama. The fact is, he is well loved all over the world and every thinking intelligent person knows in their heart that he is the one who is fully capable of leading this country successfully in the 21st century as comander-in-chief.

So everyone, including the media, is intrigued by Barack and wants to get to know him better.

It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time to elect Barack Obama for president !

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Ridgeway

Duh? Ya' think? If goes on thru October we'll all be nuttier than the guy himself. Che Obama, head of the SLA.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse, NY

License to broadcast on the public airways demands equality and fairness in coverage. It's been clear for months that we haven't had that. Maybe some TV networks should start getting their broadcast licenses pulled. I bet that gets their attention.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Dave

Proof: Number of CNN Political Ticker Obama posts compared to McCain posts, nearly 2 to 1

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Ex-PUMA

Although I was for HRC, I played with the thought of voting for McCain. But when I look at the varying positions, I can't for the life of me see how any HRC supporter can vote for McCain. He is 180 degrees from what HRC stands for. At least Obama is closer to HRC's positions.

I have to vote my conscience. I have to vote for my values (not my frustrations). I have to vote for the future of this country. I hope others will join me.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. bernice

I just prayed to God this morning that McCain does NOT get elected because I don't think I can stomach his laugh or humor or that weird grin for much longer than November. I used to always hear how great he was, but now that the focus is on him I wonder is this the same man. But then again, I guess I got used to Bush when he was elected - I wonder if the people of this country will do that to us again by electing McCain?

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Vig

Yep, we've had a belly full of this prima donna. The remote goes on mute when Obamaspeak comes over the airwaves.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Joseph, Los Angeles

In answer to Lisa; they haven't debated because neither are official as the nominee yet. You have to wait until after the conventions.

McCain is upset that Obama hasn't debated him yet because Obama can fill a room, stadium, park, city, where McCain cannot. Obama get's more coverage because people are interested are interested in this profound figure. You gotta admit, he's different.

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Demogogue

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH OF OBAMA

He is not that much of a pop star.

I am appalled at this bandwagon effect created by Oprah and the media hype of a totally unvetted and unaccomplished- but beautiful- half-black man.

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. TOM

but yet he is the unknow canadate acording to your polls.

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. jmp

This just in: CNN mistakenly puts internal memo up on PoliticalTicker.

The man is running for president. If you're seeing him often, he's doing a good job.

If he's being overexposed it's because of awful articles like this one. The media chooses how much they cover his campaign.

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. Vietnam Vet

I would like to know where the heck are these polls taken, I have never been called, to those hillary people get over it already,dang!!, Obama can win without the baggage of both Clintons.

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. al

Why don't we here more about McCain's past? Keating-Five scandal, his truly tasteless divorce of his first wife, his constant flip flopping and pandering? I would love for the press to pay more attention to McCain...

by the way...Hillary who?

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Rick

The strategy of CNN and the rest of the liberal media(aka:the Obama Public Relations Team) may be backfiring. The more people see of Obama the more they realize what a clown he is.

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Michael Templer

first of all while receiving more coverage

he has disproportionately received more bad coverage and statements attributed to him 3 or 4 people removed.

based on the latest media study

The Democrats have been the story since Iowa and because the
    primaries went so long no thanks to you know who. The coverage has been like the biggest American Idol competition.

The Republican race was essentially over after Feb 5th

that gave the press from then till the first week of June

and yes as the first Non-100% white male to run makes a difference

but I would say it would be a good time to go on Vacation

no-windsurfing , riding in tanks, or try to invent the Internet

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  19. Election Watcher

Obama's presidential bid... A FAD!!
    Heaven forbid!!
    HA-HA on O-BA-MA!!

Just say Nobama '08

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. Cheryl Fontaine

I would like to see way more Obama and absolutely NO Mcbush, excuse me, McCain.

CNN, why don't you do something for the country that supports you and start reporting on some of the lies, stupidity, and absolute corruption committed by your buddy McCain and party. How he changed his mind about offshore drilling and received a whopping donation from the oil companies? How he offered up his wife for topless dancing in Sturgiss? How he thinks it would be great if people didn't keep their tires inflated to combat gas consumption? The list goes on and on..why don't you come out with the truth? and stop trying to win McCain's campaign for him.

Do you actually have any real reporters left on staff?

August 6, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Brett

obored.... obama...

Obama scare of people...such as he wont debated with mccain, all me me me, "the one", and copy other people's words.....

he is sucks!

August 6, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. McCain:SmallWeakCowardlyManOffersMoreOfTheSame TearsOthersDownToBuildHimselfUp

Please, please, please put the spotlight on Grampy to show what a stumbling, mumbling, bumbling mess of a candidate he is. Hasn't it been a week now that he has been avoiding any unsolicited press coverage? Can't give him too much coverage or the truth about all his disconnected moments will be documented and witnessed. Pump him up with his meds before you get him on camera. Ever notice how he never does late day or evening appearances? That's because by the end of the day all his meds have worn off, and he can't form a complete thought or sentence to save his geriatric soul.

Just wait until the debates. Can you say M-E-L-T-D-O-W-N? Just like his "nucular" energy proposals.

August 6, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Ridgeway

Lorraine? How can you breath in a vacuum? Is it dark under the mushroom and manure?

August 6, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Robert Tooker

I think it is time for CNN to let the nation know who this Obama person realley is. Where is he from, the windy Chi. Town, and who his boosem buddies, let us know his background, what he realley stands for, since the media seems to already place him in the whiteHouse I think the american people would like to know the truth about this person. He surley cant be as clean as you people in the media portray him to be, he is a POLITISION, windy like all the rest of them.

August 6, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. aware

I am so sick of Obama's Cheshire cat grin that I switch channels whenever I see him!

This waffling guy is aging fast in more ways than one! :)

Senator McCain is looking better and sounding better all the time!

McCain 08! :)