August 6th, 2008

Poll: Americans say they have seen too much Obama

Americans have seen too much coverage of Obama, a new poll suggests.
Americans have seen too much coverage of Obama, a new poll suggests.

(CNN)— John McCain’s campaign has spent the summer complaining about Barack Obama’s dominance of the news cycle. Now, a new poll suggests a majority of Americans may agree.

A Pew Research Center poll released Wednesday found that since January, Americans think Obama’s visibility has overshadowed John McCain 76 percent to 11 percent. The survey, conducted via telephone interviews on 1,000 adults shows 48 percent of those questioned think there is too much media coverage of the presumptive Democratic nominee, and only 10 percent said there is too little.

In contrast, those polled said they have heard too little about presumptive Republican nominee John McCain: 38 percent said there is not enough coverage of the Arizona senator, and 26 percent think there is too much.

There is, however, a break across party lines: Republicans said they have heard too much about Obama and too little about McCain. Meanwhile, 57 percent of Democrats think the coverage of their party’s presumptive nominee has been just right.

While the poll shows citizens feel coverage of the candidates is not been equal in time, it does show they have seen virtually equal amounts of campaign commercials from both presumptive nominees. Fifty-five percent said they have seen a McCain commercial and 58 percent said they have seen an Obama spot.

The poll has a sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Cathy

The same people that say they've seen to much of Obama are probably the same people who say they don't know who Obama is or what he stands for….huh?!?!?!

Obama is all over the media…but he's talking about issues important to America. Anyone that says they don't know Obama or know how he stands must not have a TV, read the newspaper or search the internet.

I've been following the election for 15 months now and I know what type of man McCain and Obama is and what each stand for…and that's why I'm voting for Obama!

Obama has the leadership to get America back on track!!!!

August 6, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. Bayou Joe

It is not too late to Save the Democratic Party from Obama. The Convention can decide who is the best Person for the Job. It defintely is not Obama. Anyone else would have been forced to give up the quest for the presidency with half of the stuff that has come out about
    Obama. How much more will it take to convince people that he is not
    the right choice for America.

August 6, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. Vanessa

Who are you polling? We, Obama supporters, are just laying low, taking August off.

August 6, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Tom Williams

I have truly seen a great deal of Obama on many subject. The more I have seen of him the less I like him.

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. demwit

Americans think Obama’s visibility has overshadowed John McCain 76 percent to 11 percent???

Come on! There's no media bias...., only objective observers!!

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Obama dose get more coverage. Allot more coverage. He is the world's biggest celebrity. CNN has posted almost two times the amount of articles on Obama as compared to McCain. The NY times printed an article from Obama but would not print a rebuttal from McCain.
    You should not need to conduct a poll to see the obvious. That 11% you referred to are just people that only see or hear what they want.

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Open Your 3rd Eye

Ok? Why would you want to cover the guy who is NOT going to be president?

Obama 08'

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Tony

Obama could get 100% of the media coverage and I still wouldn't care. I'm voting for McCain anyway, since a vote for Obama is a vote for Socialism. I don't need my wealth redistributed, thanks.

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. Texas Pete

CNN (nor the corporate media) wouldn't dare cover McCain's constant goofs and gaffes; they'd all be out of a job if they did, and the American people would know that the Emporer (and "war hero") truly has no clothes.

Cafferty and Olbermann are the only ones that seem to see things clearly; the rest of you smooch McCains flabby shanks daily-

Gotta keep those ratings up, I suppose, but we're not fooled.

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Vegas Barbie for Obama

If folks feel there has been too little coverage of McCain, at least half of that reason is because the only person McCain talks about is OBAMA! The reason the media covers Senator Obama is clear; listen to one of Obama's speeches with folks cheering and full of hope, then one of McCain's "town halls" where the applause amounts to the sound of one hand clapping. McCain talks about Obama, media covers both candidates, and yet the public, per a CNN news commentary show last evening said that most Americans polled feel they do not know enough about Senator Obama. Which is it, CNN? I know all I need to know: Senator Obama= the next POTUS!!!!!

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. Tom Williams

I have truly seen a great deal of Obama on many subjects. The more I have seen of him the less I like him.

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. SD

I think the head lines is all wrong

August 6, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. What if?

OK, let's think about this for a minute, this is coming from the same whiners who claimed that they knew nothing about Obama for a moment........now that Obama is kind enough to enlighten us and let us get to know him and his family better, you continue to whine...........

McCain's tricks of old politics of whining seems to be working as it did for the Republicans in 2000 & 2004......Please let's not be FOOLED again.

I guess this is Obama fault to?

Obama 08............DEMOCRET PRESIDENT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. Ron

McCain is an old man, who appears to have had a stroke. He's ill and has poor mental health... He gotten way to much coverage, if he's covered more his ills will become more apparent. I will be amazed if he makes a serious run...

August 6, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Felicia

They didn't interview me but I agree! The Obama show is getting TIRED!

August 6, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. Wayne

The survey actually showed that Two-thirds of Republicans and about half of independents said they've heard too much about Obama, as did a third of Democrats, a pretty significant number.

August 6, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Ted - NYC

Rather see Obama than the 'Surge, Drill, Attack' scary white haired dude wo has no plan.

Oh, you headline is misleading CNN. People said they have seen more Obama, not too much. Big difference!!!!!

August 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. VOTER

But I thought the last poll showed Americans didn't know him well enough...which is it? Yes Obama gets more coverage, but he also gets more negative coverage, McCain gets less coverage but all his "dirt" is covered up. i.e. "not paying taxes, affair etc."

August 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. Marc

Can't say I agree. I think there has been too much POSITIVE coverage about Obama and not enough about all his flip-flopping (telecom immunity, iraq war, nafta, etc.). Someone needs to call him out and tell this joker that a president needs to be strong and stand for something other than ambiguous calls for change. You, sir, are no Sen. Clinton.

Former Democrat

August 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. bill for barack

if i ever see mclame's face again it will be too soon.
    the man is not worthy of america's attention

August 6, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. CD

Please the press should concentrate on McCain too. This is what we Obama supporters have been crying about for weeks now. McCain needs to be asked difficult questions and be caught in more shameful moments. The press really sulks! How can they miss all those gaffes and senile moments from McCain?

August 6, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. Liz

We have been bombarded wih press coverage of Obama that sometimes I just want to throw something at my TV. It reminds of a cult lifestyle where someone or something is being pushed on you 24×7 and it becomes too much. Give us break from Obama for about a week maybe even better forever but I know that won't happen. He is becoming like stale news now and he has nothing new to say. He is being overexposed and I think that will be his downfall because by the time November comes around, the voters will be so fedup of hearing about that him that it might just turn off of voting for him. I hope that happens so the DNC and superdelegates will learn their lesson from stealing the nomination from Hillary Clinton.

CNN is one networks that over does the coverage of Obama. I can turn on my TV 24 times in one day (every hour) and each time I will see something about Obama. CNN, please, please give us a break and let us hear something new. You have the same discussions everyday but just that it may be different people expressing their views. If they know so much why don't they run for the presidency instead of mouthing off negative comments on the other candidates but of course not Obama. Obama is like christ is coming again and we have see him 24×7. Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  23. Lisa

Why hasn't Obama debated Mccain yet?

August 6, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Shari, NY

They have seen too much of Obama partly because Sen. McCain's camp is fixated on him and not their concrete plans for the country. So what will happen if by god's grace he wins the presidency? Will they want him to go into obscurity and forget about them?

August 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  25. Monica, Texas

That is b/c the media has Obama under a microscope and every move and word he says they are ready to pounce....If McCain had half the coverage it would only reveal his many gaffes and how he is NOT capable to lead...Lucky for McCain on this one.

August 6, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |