August 6th, 2008

Poll: Americans say they have seen too much Obama

Americans have seen too much coverage of Obama, a new poll suggests.
Americans have seen too much coverage of Obama, a new poll suggests.

(CNN)— John McCain’s campaign has spent the summer complaining about Barack Obama’s dominance of the news cycle. Now, a new poll suggests a majority of Americans may agree.

A Pew Research Center poll released Wednesday found that since January, Americans think Obama’s visibility has overshadowed John McCain 76 percent to 11 percent. The survey, conducted via telephone interviews on 1,000 adults shows 48 percent of those questioned think there is too much media coverage of the presumptive Democratic nominee, and only 10 percent said there is too little.

In contrast, those polled said they have heard too little about presumptive Republican nominee John McCain: 38 percent said there is not enough coverage of the Arizona senator, and 26 percent think there is too much.

There is, however, a break across party lines: Republicans said they have heard too much about Obama and too little about McCain. Meanwhile, 57 percent of Democrats think the coverage of their party’s presumptive nominee has been just right.

While the poll shows citizens feel coverage of the candidates is not been equal in time, it does show they have seen virtually equal amounts of campaign commercials from both presumptive nominees. Fifty-five percent said they have seen a McCain commercial and 58 percent said they have seen an Obama spot.

The poll has a sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. Erika

The problem is NOT campaign ads, it is the media's coverage. The media CLEARLY FAVORS Obama. It is in Poor Taste for the media to continue to pick sides, either way. For once, could someone simply report the FACTS and TRUTH?!

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Andrew James

Finally! Are you "journalists" at Cnn allowed to say something negative about Obama? That's what you get for trying to shove Obama down our throats. The American People are smarter than the media.

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. Donna from Colorado Springs

Polls only work if they are taken correctly. It depends who answers the phone and if the caller is actually wanting an honest opinion or slanting the question to favor one party over the other, McCains slanderous ads have evidentally won over those who will believe anything an old, white headed presidential looking person is telling them. I don't think that the majority of people are tired of seeing Obama on tv. Every time I turn the tv on, all I see is another hatchet job by McStupid. No matter what Obama says or does, in McStupids opinion, he is wrong or un-american. If you aren't a card carrying conservative republican, McStupid doesn't care what you think or how you feel. I'm sick to death of negative name calling by a man who promised a clean,issue based campaign. Another lie!

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. D. May

I am curious to why the media seems to dissect everything about Barack Obama's life but leaves McCain's past virtually untouched.

Does anyone remember the Keating 5? Where Senator McCain wasn't charged but the courts deemed he shower very "poor judgment" in the Savings and Loans Crisis scandal.

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Mikey

I agree. We have not seen enough coverage of McCain. When you think about it, Obama has been dissected for 8 months, yet McCain's vetting took place 8 years ago and only in the early primaries. The Republicans selected George W. Bush over him as their nominee.

There are some issues involving his personal past that probably should be examined more carefully, but his shifting positions on issues over the past year and his voting record in the Senate, or more appropriately, the lack thereof deserve the most scrutiny.

Also, he is still taking a fair amount of time off the campaign trail. Why? POTUS is not a part time job. It is, perhaps, the most demanding job in the world. Is he up to it? (his age is of no importance, IF he can do the job)

I, personally, would like to see Obama tell McCain that he will debate him anytime, anywhere, and propose a series of formal debates and town halls. Let's go twice a week for 8 weeks – get down to business and may the better candidate win!

Obama '08

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. Brooke

I look forward to seeing much more of Obama at the State of the Union speech when President McCain arrives. The media has given Obama a free ride, we've all been inundated with "Obamamania" and he still can't crack the 50% mark. The more we know of Obama the less we like.

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Kevin,FL

Now that Statement is Accurate! he's every where, its getting very sicking to watch TV(News)

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Eyes

You are telling me and not asking me.

McCain is doing a good job of getting coverage (albeit negative) for himself with the way he has chosen to portray Obama. The New Yorker has taken him to task. And so did Paris. Perhaps it is the type of coverage he is getting with which people have a problem. And I would agree that it is poor.

August 6, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. Look in the mirror

And who is covering Obama non-stop in order to sell their product, which is 24/7 "news"?

August 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  10. Dems are stuck in the fix they rigged

I am sick and tired of Obama...

I will never vote for this media circus show.

August 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. Trudi DeWitt

I agree, I am SICK of Obama. I do not think I could handle him as President of the USA because I am already sick of hearing his name.
    I am also sick of hearing people complain about how OLD McCain is. What happend to RESPECTING our elders?? Does no one practice this any longer? As I grow older I find that my wisdom has increaded. Why would the same not be true of McCain?
    When I am seeking advice and wisdom I do not go find my 14 year old to talk to. I seek out the council of others who have gained experience throught their life experiences and may have insight into my situation.
    These individuals are also known as my parents and grandparents............ or OLD people.
    Get over it AMERICA, look at the real issue, who is for AMERICA, stop wearing blinders by listing and being lead to the slaughter by the one sided news and media.
    OPEN YOUR EYES, A SNAKE IS A SNAKE.

August 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  12. PC

In order to win this November, I think that Obama needs to do a couple of different things. First of all, McCain's campaign has shown a willingness to scrabble for every last vote, Obama's campaign needs to do the same. Second, Obama needs to demonstrate he is willing to take unpopular stands on certain issues, even if it costs him votes. And last, he needs to denmonstrate, without being fake or contriived, that he personally cares about the hard times Americans are facing.
    At this time, Obama is running the risk of appearing aloof and out of touch; this is what sunk Dukakis, Gore's and Kerry's campaigns. While Voters wan't a candidate who agrees with them on the issues, they also want one with whom they can personally identify.

August 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. Corey, Maryland

i support Barack Obama 100% but i can honestly say i am sick and tired of both of the candidates! we have been listening to them bicker for the past 2 years, and i cant stand it any longer. I just want them to announce their VP's, debate 3 times and then shut up until election day!

Obama Richardson 2008

August 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. Nija

We have seen Grandapa McCain for the past 30yrs so we need a new face.

August 6, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  15. Realist

Fine... put McCain on 24/7 with all of his gaffes, sexist remarks, and poor attempts at humor.

This country will tire of McCain in less than a week.

August 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  16. EMJ

Why hasn't Obama debated McCain yet? Duh, how about we wait until these guys actually have been nominated??? And yet again another supposed Hillary supporter not voting for the democrat most likely to be the nominee – at this point you are either a closet repug pretending to be an ex-Hillary supporter to keep stiring up crap or your just a flat out loser wierdo who can't face reality. She lost, OK? She lost OK? Gonna vote for McOld cause Hillary didn't win? Now that's real mature.

August 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  17. ANNE

IF HILLARY RUNS, I WILL VOTE FOR HER.

August 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  18. McSame is scripted

Yeah! Let hear more about McCain 9 homes. His 500 dollar shoes. How his wife spends money like 750000 in a month. Let's hear what MCSame is going to do with nuclear waste from 45 plants. Let here about what he plans to do when the first huge offshore oil spill contaminates the Florida beaches and kills millions of wildlife and put the Floride vacation economy out of business. Do your job CNN.

August 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. Eileen from Maine

Pew Research Center poll released Wednesday found that since January, Americans think Obama’s visibility has overshadowed John McCain 76 percent to 11 percent************************************************
    *******************************************
    That is because they have bought into Johnny M's constant complaining that he isn't getting all the attention that he is accustomed to from (his base) the media.

Frankly I think Obama's visibility has overshadowed McCain's as well. The Media is like hawks (or vultures) waiting for their opportunity to lay claim to the fame of 'the one' who brings Obama down.
    The benchmark for McCain has been very different. He screws up and if it is covered at all it lasts about a minute, compared to 24/7 of any perceived Obama misteps.

How about bringing average Joe into the picture to analyze the situation, instead of all these guys who have failed in their own election campaigns so they become 'political pundits' who don't know up from down.

August 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  20. marianna

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOO MUCH !!!

August 6, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  21. Life Is Sweet

I wonder if the 57 percent of Democrats that think the coverage of their party’s presumptive nominee has been just right were polled from ALL 57 States?

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Becky

I think McGaffalot needs to stay in the crypt until Nov because then people might not remember that he isnt half the man he was in 2000....The more I see him the more I am disgusted by him....No wonder people actually believed that he had a love child.

In hinesight, it seems Bush WAS right about one thing....GAG me with a fork...That this man's temperment and piggish aura is NOT suited for the presidency.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  23. jon

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for pointing this out!

Here's an interesting question-

What happens when Indepdents (or Dems that don't support Nancy Pelosi) find out that McCain is NOT Bush????

It's bound to happen!! These guys are very different personalities, with hugely different careers. McCain is solid.

I see Obama's lead just evaporating should his McCain = Bush smear get questioned.

People don't want Bush.

But I'm super excited for McCain to come in and clean house!!!

Viva McCain!

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. Tom

Yes. Obama is like that hit song that you've heard on the radio just a few too many times. You like it at first, but after a while, you're like, "OK, enough." Besides, when he talks, he doesn't say much; his words are just a bunch of fluff, but his lackies/groupies applaud everything he says anyway. He's got an endless supply of Kool-Aid and people are drinking it up.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  25. Katie - Atlanta

Lisa:

McCain nor Obama are the party nominees. They are both PRESUMPTIVE. Why debate before you get the nomination? Just be patient, they'll get there once they've gotten the final nod from their prospective parties.

August 6, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |