August 7th, 2008

Bill Clinton to speak at Democratic convention

Bill Clinton will speak at the Democratic convention later this month.
Bill Clinton will speak at the Democratic convention later this month.

(CNN) — Multiple sources tell CNN that former President Bill Clinton will have a speaking role at the Democratic Convention, scheduled to take place in Denver later this month.

The sources say he will speak Wednesday night, the night of the vice presidential nominee’s speech. Barack Obama will officially become the presidential nominee the next night.

Candy Crowley also reports Obama and Bill Clinton spoke today.

News of the former president's role leaked out as reports of tension between the Clinton and Obama camps over fundraising and convention planning issues, and the release of a YouTube clip showing Clinton telling supporters they should develop some sort of “strategy” to make sure their positions were represented at the Denver convention.

Obama said Thursday that the controversy over whether the New York senator's delegates would be able to vote for her at the Democratic convention was a media creation.

“There hasn't been controversy other than what you guys are projecting right now,” he told reporters. Obama described conversations between the two campaigns over convention planning as “seamless.” “It has not been a problem,” he said.

Earlier in the day, Hillary Clinton did not offer a clear answer when asked in a Web chat whether she might ask that her name be submitted for the presidential nomination when the Democratic Party meets in Denver at the end of the month.

“I know that there have been a lot of questions on this subject. Senator [Barack] Obama and I share the goal of ensuring that the voices of everyone who participated in this historic process are respected,” she wrote. “I want to assure everyone we are working together with Senator Obama’s campaign and the DNC, and I am confident we will have a successful and unified Convention in Denver.”

Asked later in the day whether he would be content if Clinton’s name were placed into nomination at the convention, Obama responded “I didn't say that. I said they are working it out, guys.”

Hillary Clinton will campaign for Obama Friday in Nevada.

1. bellabella

Great News!! Will Jimmy Carter's speech follow? Jimmy Carter is another living Democratic former President!! He should be invited to speak too!!

August 7, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  2. ADAM

HE NEESD TO GET OVER IT. HE DOESN'T EVEN DESERVE IT.
    GOD BLESS YOU OBAMA. ALLOW HIM TO SPEAK AFTER WHAT HE SAID ABOUT YOU, YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON.

GO OBAMA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  3. love ya Bill

The best president that I've seen in my life. Wish his wife was on the ticket. Hate to vote for Obama but I might have to.

August 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  4. rachel

Please haters need not post. Bill you are a gifted orator. Do what you do. I am sure bill cant win with this one because people will either say it wasnt enough or he's just trying to get the lime light.

August 7, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  5. Anna C

Sixteen years!!!

Sixteen years!!!!

Sixteen years!!!!

August 7, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  6. S. Boatman

I Wonder If He Will Say Obama Has The Experience To Be President!

August 7, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  7. Charlotte

Bill Clinton deserves to speak, but watch the hate filled Obama-bots make with the nasties. I am so sick of them infering Hillary was behind the attempt on Obama, sickos all of them. I will write Hillary on my ballot in November. I hope Obama loses. Whether Hillary runs in 2012 or not I don't want him or his hate filled people in the White House in 2009...

August 7, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  8. non white & non-black person

i hate the democratic party because of evil, deceitful, threatening, liar Hillary. She has single-handedly brought down the democratic party along with her 18 million idiots! geraldine ferraro included. I will never forget the racist remarks they threw at Obama and his supporters during this campaign year. This is why the world laughs at us. We are the only ones finding a problem with Obama the rest of the world loves him. GroW UP America!

August 7, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  9. Juanita S Pinion

It would be a good idea to remember that Afro-Americans have supported the Democratic party ,no matter who the nominee was, 85% to 95% over the years.

What would happen to the Demo. party if people didn't support Barack Obama this time, whatever their reason!!!

August 7, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. BK

I hope Hillary and Bill pull the lever for McCain after what the media and the DNC did to HIllary. I know I am going too.

August 7, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. Charlotte

After the convention he can always say he was in favor of having her name put in contention... King Flip-Flop...

August 7, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  12. FL4Obama

Thank you Bill. Democrats '08

August 7, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  13. Fred

Mr. President & Senator Clinton,
    We are avid Democrats, but we wouldn't vote for Senator Obama
    if he were the last person on earth. We don't believe in anything he
    says.. He has slipped up to many times. We also don't understand
    why he can't admit he's just as much white as he is black.. We feel
    that he has blind sided the American people, both black and white
    by portraying himself as an African American. We feel that he has
    misled everyone with the race issue.. We feel he just plays on it, and
    with all the respect we have for the Clinton's, we see no need to
    support Senator Obama.. We have talked to many other Democrats
    who feel the same way... We feel at this time with Hillary out that
    our many votes would go to Senator McCain. We would be more
    confident in a McCain presidency the next four years, then not being
    sure were Senator Obama would take this nation. We feel he can't be trusted and is hiding something. We want a true American in the
    White House , not somebody that can't even admit who he is.

August 7, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  14. Darrel from Denver

The momentum after this speech and after the convention will be insurmountable. With the Clintons on board, McCain has absolutely zero chance.

August 7, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  15. Janet

First of all, how very wonderful that President Bill Clinton will be giving a speech at the national level. It's been a long time since we've had an intelligent, articulate, and poised President give a speech.

Secondly, my dream would be for President Clinton to place his wife's name into nomination for the Vice Presidency.

Thirdly, I wonder if he's been given this opportunity to help difuse any demonstrations that will occur if Hillary is not selected as the Vice Presidential candidate.

I don't believe in party unity. I believe in Hillary Clinton.

August 7, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  16. Democrat gone to Independent

Of course Bill Clinton should be honored and should speak at the Democratic convention, although I can't think why he would want to. He probably doesn't want to.

It is my fervent prayer as a life long Democrat that Barack Obama loses this election. That's what it will take for the DNC to recognize what, under the watchful eye of the cunning Mr. Obama, they have done to this party. Essentially, the same thing that the Supreme Court did to Al Gore.

Then I hope they run Howard Dean and his gang out of power.

I can wait for four years. I care much more about what happens to the Democratic party in the US than I do about Roe v Wade, the Supreme Court picks du jour, energy policy, the war in Iraq.

These things come and go, but the DNC is forever, and there's no time like the present to clean it up and get the Chicago thugs out of there.

So, go McCain! And Hillary, I'll be there to cast a vote for you next time around.

August 7, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  17. M

I don't care if God him or herself was speaking! For nominating an inexperienced empty shell of a candidate instead of Hillary, I'm casting my vote for McCain.

August 7, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  18. Paulina

Well , if only the delegates would use their common sense and vote for Hillary Clinton.
    Obama will not win in November.
    The more one finds out about him the more one realizes what a shyster and phoney he is.

August 7, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  19. JCH Philly Democrat

I hope Bill goes there and gives 'em hell!!!

Obama stole the election from his wife on account of our stupid everyone-wins-a-delegate-if-you-get-15%-of-the-vote primary rules (plus those undemocratic caucuses, such as Texas where Hillary won the primary by 4 but lost the caucus by 12). If you run the states that Hillary won through the electoral college compared to the States Obama won, Hill wins like 335-180 (oh, and did I mention the popular vote!!!). Bill isn't bitter, he just doesn't want to take a sip of the Kum-bai-ya Kool Aid and is just telling it like it is.

So no matter what Bill says at the convention, just ask yourself this... When Bill and Hillary are in the privacy of the voting booth Nov. 4, who do you think theyre voting for? (I'll bet its McCain, and voting with them)

Independent Dems for McCain/Lieberman 2008 (of course CNN won't post this comment, because this message conflicts with the "all Dems are united" mantra)

August 7, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  20. tess

i really can't believe that even the clintons have this much gall!! my god, what does it take for those people to know when to go away? i just wonder how much evil they will do to obama if he wins – just think vince foster and a host of other people connected to the clintons – it is freightening!

August 7, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  21. Patrick

Hillary Clinton needs to be the vice president. No Hillary – NObama. Otherwise, this longtime Democrat will vote McCain.

August 7, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  22. go away mongers- Ventura ca

This will be a chance for Bill Clinton to do what he does best- Wow the Democratic base with a speech on HOW IMPORTANT THIS ELECTION IS for not just Democrats- but Americans everywhere.
    He can put the pumA's in their place and point to the long term meaning of this election.
    He can take back some of we Obama supporters (and former supporters of him) by preaching UNITY and what is best for our Country!
    Do it Mr. President. You served this country well- Do it again.

August 7, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  23. Mary In AL

yea! I'm so glad. Can't wait for the convention.

August 7, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  24. Frank, MO

OH NO !

August 7, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  25. Jeff

Great news! Bill Clinton is one of the most powerful members and leaders of the Democratic Party. He should be allowed to speak at the convention. Has anyone forgotten the eight great years we had with him in the White House, minus the Lewinsky fiasco (which was way overblown–no pun intended). Compare those eight years with the most previous eight disastrous years. Hell ya! Let him speak, and speak as long as he wants to.

August 7, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |