August 7th, 2008

Congressman wants to bring up “Paris Hilton plan”

Rep. Michael Burgess things the 'Paris Hilton plan' for energy should be considered.

CAPITOL HILL (CNN) - The lines between celebrity and politician blurred into a haze Thursday at a Republican news conference, as one congressman began pushing Paris Hilton's “plan” on energy.

"Let's bring up the Paris Hilton plan," goaded Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas.

Burgess and his fellow Republicans are in day five energy speeches on the House floor, despite the fact that the chamber is closed for August recess. They're trying to pressure House Speaker Nancy Pelosi into holding a vote on offshore oil drilling.

As they plan for another week of House protest, those Republicans have found an unlikely ally and publicity magnet in Hilton. The model and actress launched a parody campaign commercial earlier this week, suggesting a hybrid of energy plans from presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain

"We can do limited offshore drilling, with strict environmental oversight," the heiress suggested in an animal print bathing suit, "while creating tax incentives to get Detroit making hybrid and electric cars."

"Even Paris Hilton had an energy plan that she's talking about," said Burgess, seizing a chance to make Democrats look lackluster on the issue.

The Texas congressman tried to put Hilton in the Republican camp, claiming her words mirrored current GOP legislation known as the "No More Excuses Energy Act". But, while that proposal does allow offshore drilling, a congressional summary shows it does not contain tax credits to encourage new automobile technology.

And that keeps Hilton, strangely, in the centrist chair on energy. A centrist, poolside lounge chair

Filed under: Congress
  1. SZ

Since youth and good looks are the current requirements for the job of POTUS, Paris Hilton is logically a better potential candidate than Sen. Obama.

(This was my last post here, CNN. I can no longer read/listen to your terrible blogs and joker pundits. And the new "NO BIAS, NO BULL" bit is ineffective, not to mention far too late. Cheerio!)

August 7, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. An Independent Hillary

I'm writing in Paris Hilton! She's a lot cooler then the clowns we have running for President now!

August 7, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. RapidRay

Great. Now it's called the "Paris Hilton Plan".

I'm seriously considering moving to Belize....

August 7, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. cph9680

What an imbecile. Perhaps Dr. Burgess should keep his mouth shut.

August 7, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  5. Glenn

What a publicity stunt by the GOP! The GOP politicians along with Bush caused the problem we are all suffering from and these same GOPers are hiding out in Washington rather than going home to face their constituencies who are not fooled by their same old political shenanigans. So what else is new? The American people have figured out that the GOP is only interested in lining their own pockets rather than solving problems. We now hear that GOP politicians are also going to duck their own National Convention.

August 7, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. Chris K.

Silly Americans. Are you aware that offshore drilling will net you nothing for at least five years? Sure, that claim has gone down – from five, to three, to two and now 18 months – but it's all an empty promise.

Truth is, by the time you got that oil in your systems, it wouldn't make much of a difference at all (your energy needs show no signs of dissipating). And where oil companies vs. foreign oil are concerned, do you really thinking that ANYBODY would have an interest in driving the price down, offshore or no offshore?

In the face of demand from such countries as China, the price of oil is the price of oil – sucking it out of your seabed will only benefit the bottom lines of the very oil companies who take advantage of you now. None of this has ANYTHING to do with solving your energy woes.

Remember all the talk of Ethanol by McTired and Obama? Thing is, it takes more energy (i.e. oil) to grow, process and transport a gallon of ethanol than it gives back in energy. So it's no wonder that these two 'polar opposities' managed to agree on something – particularly an issue in regards to your energy future. Once again, it's not YOU who stands to benefit...

Stop being the puppets of your government.

August 7, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  7. DJ Los Angeles

NO MORE Offshore Drilling! We already have oil rigs all over the gulf of Mexico and along the California coasts. Guess what they leak too and result in toxic spills and beach closures.

That's the whole reason why we had a ban of further offshore drilling in the first place! The Republicans are the official party of big oil and will stop at nothing to spread lies, propaganda and games.

August 7, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. Andy in Charlotte, NC

Paris's plan does sound like a good idea! Why aren't Republicans talking about more energy-efficient and electric/hybrid cars? And why aren't Democrats talking about offshore drilling? I think the American people would like both...to diversify, and decrease our dependence on foreign oil. Both measures would help. I don't think she was support McCain...I think she was supporting the energy plans of both. Whether you like her or not, I think the American people agree with her on this one. Forget party loyalty...let's just do what's right!

August 7, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. Ollie

While I agree that the plan offered by Paris Hilton is a sensible new direction for our country I really don't think enough credit is being given to the man behind the idea. Everyone is calling this Paris' pla or the Hilton plan, when no credit is given to Adam McKay the ad's writer. Sure Paris threw in a line or two here and there, but the core of that, the plan that everyone is so wild about is most definetly the work of the comedic powehouse that brought us Anchorman and Talledega Nights. If we're going to be praising anyone it should be him, Paris Hilton is just the pretty(arguably) face presenting it.

August 7, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. Kelby from Houston, TX

That's not hot, THIS IS INSANE. Somebody voted for these people and I think that they should be held accountable for their actions. AND BY ACCOUNTABLE I MEAN HUNG BY THEIR THUMBS!

August 7, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. mello doug New Mexico

How ignorant and pathetic can the Republicans go?

August 7, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. Republican for Obama

I'm ashamed to be republican. The republicans sticking around in congress is the same ploy the dems used a few years ago. Now they are using Paris' plan? Which is Obama's plan... Come on guys! Get in touch with reality and get your own ideas. That's why I'm voting for Obama.

August 7, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. fella from Chicago

If Paris is on the ticket, John's got my vote.

August 7, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Elizabeth August 7th, 2008 1:07 pm ET

Godness, are the Republican party so bukrupt they need Paris Hilton satire plan……which is basically Obama's Energy plan.

I invite you to visit The McCain web site and you will see that this is McCain's plan And has been for some time now.

Or maybe you would like to enlighten me as to how you can say that it was Obama's plan to drill now and invest in alternative renewable energy. Feel free to respond. I look forward to you making a fool of yourself.

August 7, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Justin

It is kind of sad that Paris Hilton's energy plan is actually better than McCain's or Obama's.

August 7, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Ben (Eugene, OR)

I think Paris' plan is actually pretty logical. It blows Obama's plan out of the water for sure.

Hilton/Rihanna '08

If I'm going to vote for a celebrity, why not go all out?

August 7, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Really bored Obama supporter

When I heard Paris's plan, I immediately thought that it sounded just like what I had heard last weekend from Obama when he "flip flopped" and said that he would be willing to consider a compromise like the one that the "group of 10" members of the senate has proposed. Paris didn't come up with this on her own (as brilliant as she may be ???)

August 7, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. Robert in Toronto, ON

I actually thought that Hilton's plan was pretty good. I mean... it makes perfect sense to incorporate both plans. I'm just shaking my head that it had to come from Paris' head and not from the elected officials in the Senate. Seriously, in politics it's all about COMPROMISE.

August 7, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. Susan

Another great showing of Republicans wasting our money. How much ENERGY are they using us to keep up this farce ? I know – they can follow McClame and DRILL,DRILL,DRILL! MORONS!

August 7, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  20. Matt-NE

I'd vote for Paris Hilton before I would Barack Obama.

She can at least speak without a teleprompter and actually has a better energy plan than Obama.

August 7, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  21. Marc PDX

Where can I buy an Obama tire gauge? I'd pay $10 for one of those (I'm sure it would save me $100 – LOL!)

August 7, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Hasn't anyone inside that chamber noticed that HIlton's plan coincides more with Obama's than McCain's?

Actually they did. This is a textbook demonstration of spin.

August 7, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  23. Aaron Hussein

wah wah wah, maybe we our a bunch of whiners. Listen to you people making fun of the republicans over them copying Hilton. Did anyone listen to what Paris said? I actually agree her idea is a great solution which contains a compromise between the 2 parties. As much as I hate the idea of drilling offshore I'm all for it if we can get moving closer to green technology. Sometimes you have to give to get which apparently only a "dumb blonde" heiress recognizes.

Obama '08

August 7, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. Republican for Obama

Oh, and McCain flip flops more than a fish out of water. Yeah, and I did adjust my tire pressures yesterday. At least that is something tangible I can do to contribute immediately to the oil concern. If we're going to get through this energy problem, these little things can make a huge difference.

August 7, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  25. Matt

It's amazing how many people on here don't get that commercial.

pssssssssssst Paris was the ~medium~ for the message. It's like getting mad at Scrooge in a Christmas Carol.

August 7, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |