August 7th, 2008

Essence editor: Obamas a model for kids, community

(CNN) - The September issue of Essence magazine features an interview with Sen. Barack Obama and his family inside their Chicago home.

Essence editor-in-chief Angela Burt-Murray said it took a year for the magazine to gain access to the Obama's Illinois home for an intimate interview with the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, his wife, Michelle, and their daughters, Sasha and Malia.

Burt-Murray talked Thursday with CNN "American Morning" anchor Kiran Chetry about the interview and the Obama family.

1. Gary of El Centro, Ca

A beautiful American family indeed. I pray for their safety every day......there are a lot of "kooks" out there that are bothered by their rise to the top.

August 7, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  2. Boston For OBAMA

We Need The Change Barack Obama Can Bring. He is Clean

August 7, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  3. jason, tx

I agree. He's an excellent role model. All the bigots who have posted, please keep your ignorant ideas to yourselves.

August 7, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. Never Again CNN

These racists spread the hate filled lies and republican propaganda simply because he's black (I'm not saying that republicans are racists, but that the racist help spread their proppaganda). Instead of looking at a strong connected family, which shows up the philandering (that's cheating to you republicans) McCain with his lack of respect for women, wanting to enter his wife in a biker rally beauty contest. If you think about the cmparison of family values between the candidates, how could you make some of these comments. Well I guess you racists don't think much, just spout you garbage. No wonder you fit in so well with the republicans.

August 7, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  5. Mike

The Obamas are a fine example of an American family. They do America proud.

August 7, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. Rob in Texas

A model for kids ... because he's pretty childish himself.

August 7, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  7. Rob in Texas

According to People magazine, he doesn't even buy his (little) kids Christmas or birthday presents .... model father, that Obama

August 7, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. Goodie

Yes and of course he is a very good model for my kids, your kids and any other kid(s) . Go ahead and leave with it . It is what it is. Simply the truth and the fact. GO BAMA !!!

August 7, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. Vig

Obama is NOT a model for anybody. He's a pollyanna prima donna full of himself and offers no substantive agenda that isn't piggbacking off of someone else's. He's been made to be something he is not. He's just a third rate politician.

August 7, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  10. Kyle, MA

Great, I can't wait to buy a copy.

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone
    I can see all obstacles in my way
    Gone are the dark clouds that had me down
    It's gonna be a bright bright bright bright Obama day
    It's gonna be a bright bright bright bright Obama day"

-adapted from Johnny Nash

August 7, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  11. Amanda

Thanks Mike TX for all the stereotypes–but we're moving on, buh-bye.

August 7, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  12. Shotta Nic

Aaaaahh, the fresh smell of ignorance and racism on this board.

Everybody, lets take a deep breath of it.

Ofcourse if a black magazine focused on the advancement of minorities interviews Obama, some people will have problems with it.

Hey, how about you haters stop hating on the next President of the US (it probably burns when you think of a black man as president, huh?)

August 7, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  13. Jean, MS

Bill Clinton will be jealous of that too. But you could "make an argument" that says he won't.

August 7, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  14. Splurge

Esscence? Duh.

August 7, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. Grow A Brain

In response to "Never Obama".

Blacks are voting overwhelmingly for Barack because the Clintons played the "RACE CARD". End of that story.

When Bill Clinton ran he got 82% of the black vote, nobody complained then or said anything about racism. When Dukakis ran, he got 89% of the black vote, not a word from anyone. The minute a black man runs and gets 90%, you cry foul.

Grow a brain, you idiot.

Obama 08

August 7, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  16. Concerned Citizen

Is it me or are the people who have the severe hatred for Obama so seemingly obsessed with him at the same time? They can't stop talking about him. I'm no fan of McCain but I don't go around looking for what he has done, says, etc. Frankly, I find him boring and uninspiring, too much Bush-like. I disagree with the man but I respect him and his views.

August 7, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. Vig Is A Pig

Thanks for sharing Vig, we'll take that into consideration–NOT.

August 7, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  18. Moses Ibeh

Obama is the MAN, the man is the IDEA and the idea is IDEAL. GObama, for you are a true LEADER.

August 8, 2008 04:47 am at 4:47 am |