August 7th, 2008

Giuliani: A Democrat possible as McCain's VP

CNN

Watch Giuliani on American Morning Thursday.

(CNN) – Rudy Giuliani, former presidential candidate turned John McCain supporter, said Thursday that a Democrat could conceivably occupy the number 2 spot on the Republican presidential ticket.

“The reality is either way you might see something like that,” the former New York City mayor told CNN’s Kiran Chetry on American Morning when asked about talk of Sen. Barack Obama choosing a Republican like Sen. Chuck Hagel as his running mate.

Giuliani said he has not spoken with McCain about possibly choosing a Democratic running mate. “But, if you’re asking me is it possible in this day and age that you could have a ticket like that? I think so.”

While he conceded that he could think of “a couple” Democrats who might fit the bill as potential McCain VP’s, Giuliani said the decision was ultimately McCain’s.

Watch: Giuliani on American Morning

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Just because the poor are forced away from public areas to spray their graffitti–and do not leap into the street to wash windows–because theres a cop on ever corner-and their tazers are used daily–doesn't mean those homeless and poor are any better off–they are just better hidden.

August 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. Anne E.

Nothing and no one can help McCain. Only one thing worse than a loser, and that's an old loser.
    And for those of you so-called Dems who believe in cutting of the nose to spite the face by voting for McCain because you can't have Hillary,
    get over it and get a clue - SHE'S not voting for McCain, so why should you?

August 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  3. Janice Patoka Illinois

Mr. McCain Get out there and tell us what your going to do for us, how your going to fix the problems, leave all other garbage out. You must bring our troops home, you must get to the bottom of oil crisis, by taxing big oil, Sir if you don't give on these issues you could NOT possibly win the election. Its your ONLY chance,say what you mean and for all our sakes mean What you say.

August 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  4. Joe Kiloz

Kind of shows why Rudy was sent packing

August 7, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. Jim

I am amazed some bloggers here think Sen. Clilnton would even consider joining McCain's ticket! She is grounded in Democratic values and strongly supports the Democratic platform and candidate (Obama).

Winning or losing to another Democrat in a primary election is a normal part of one's political career. I support Obama, but I know Sen. Clinton would not abandon her principles. Let's give her credit for integrity!

August 7, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. Anoop Dogg

2008 McCain picked 2000 McCain to run as his vp.

August 7, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  7. Yam

CNN: Why do you always close the comments so early on?

I find this election depressing. It's a shame that the actions of a few will affect millions. I want to suggest that my fellow country men get together and elect someone who is interested in the people first, but if this nominee happens to have an un-American name (just for kicks, lets say Barack Obama) and does not have pale white skin, most will cut their noses off to spite their faces. Not only that but they will claim they didn't vote for him for all other reasons other than the real one. I am not sure if I have completely lost faith in this country, but I know my faith has been greatly diminished. I hope they prove me wrong in Nov, but judging by all the "Democrats for McCain", "PUMA", "Hillary or Bust" , "Clinton supporters to stage '18 Million Voices March" BS, it just looks like I'll completely lose it. Maybe if we put more emphasis on education in this country, people wouldn't be duped so easily...but then again, they probably would just find more sophistocated ways to do it.

August 7, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  8. Beverly, NYC

I wouldn't believe Rudy if he told me water was wet. Keep dreaming no democratic would cross lines to run with McCain. McCain should pick his translator Lieberman as VP.

August 7, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |