August 7th, 2008

Giuliani: A Democrat possible as McCain's VP

CNN

Watch Giuliani on American Morning Thursday.

(CNN) – Rudy Giuliani, former presidential candidate turned John McCain supporter, said Thursday that a Democrat could conceivably occupy the number 2 spot on the Republican presidential ticket.

“The reality is either way you might see something like that,” the former New York City mayor told CNN’s Kiran Chetry on American Morning when asked about talk of Sen. Barack Obama choosing a Republican like Sen. Chuck Hagel as his running mate.

Giuliani said he has not spoken with McCain about possibly choosing a Democratic running mate. “But, if you’re asking me is it possible in this day and age that you could have a ticket like that? I think so.”

While he conceded that he could think of “a couple” Democrats who might fit the bill as potential McCain VP’s, Giuliani said the decision was ultimately McCain’s.

Watch: Giuliani on American Morning

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Marilyn

Great idea! Most moderate Democrats are leaving the party anyway and becoming Independents.

August 7, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  2. Praetorian, Fort Myers

It won't be Lieberman...he's way too busy cozying up to ALL parties to ensure the $2+ billion and growing annual allowance from U.S. taxpayers to Israel keeps on flowing–thats a full time job in this economy!

Are you guys tired of the posturing and the lies about how much better the Democrats or Republicans will make things–only to find out 4-8 years down the road things aren't really so good–and lots of scheming has resulted in yet another devious way to increase your tax payments?

Libertarians–2008
    We believe America's majority should decide the direction of the country–continuously (not just on election day). Real change that finally has the American citizen as the focus (not a foreign government, special interest, or coroporate interest).

August 7, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  3. Republican for Obama

What a bunch of garbage. Rudy knows as well as everyone else that McCain must pick a conservative as his VP, as he can barely keep his base together as it is.

August 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  4. KDM

To Former Democrat-Now Independent-Dusgusted with Obama. Per "Obama is bad for this country. He is being forced down our throats for some reason." I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. It was noticeable during the primary when Obama seemed to be given a free ride while Hillary was scrutinized over everything she said and did.

I think you are correct about the press picked Obama long ago.

August 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  5. Mike in Houston

Praetorian: Give me a Website to learn about the Bob Barr, I am interested in seeing who else is running. I'm not liking the Repub or the Dem party at this point. Thanks

August 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  6. Omar C. Baez

I'm sorry I can't take Guiliani seriously when he talks.

He sounds way too much like Sylvester the Cat when he talks.

Sufferin sucatash!!!

The only "Democrat" that would join with McSenile is Joe Loserman.

August 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  7. Major Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

That a Democrat could conceivably occupy the number 2 spot on the Republican presidential ticket is like a bald man saying, "I'm not ball, I'm just taller than my hair." That is never going to happen.

August 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  8. Jasmine in Germany

It has occured to me that if McCain linked with H. Clinton, he'd probably win. And she just might accept, after all, she doesn't seem to be supporting her party's candidate as well as she could be and it would fulfill her long term desires.

If she really supported her party, she would ask "18 Million Voices Rise Hillary Rise" to cancel their event in Denver. This event takes away from the Democratic nominee; Obama, and their shared party. But I guess she's willing to take some of the spotlight away of others who have earned it – again.

August 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  9. RB

Coming from the guy who lost the primary in the worst way, his comments don't amount to much. Besides, a republican MIGHT be Obama's VP, Rudy.

August 7, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  10. Puma Stench

Yeah, that would be brilliant. McCain is likely to last a year in office with his health and the stress it puts on you, and then he'll hand the presidency off to a Democrat. The Puma idiots would probably love it to be Hillary.

August 7, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  11. Peter

McShame is trying to get attention, so little Rudy says this crap

August 7, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. Ed, Santa Fe NM

Ya pick Hillary... she'd take the VP job slot under anyone just to stay in the limelight.

August 7, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. Omar C. Baez

RJ

For you to make such a dumb comment " I'm a supporter of Hillary but now im going to vote for McCain"

you know all of you Hillary supporters who are going to vote for McCain are just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Yeah go ahead and vote for a republican just because your choice for president lost. wah wah wah.

Vote against your best interests. Go ahead. God makes me sick!!

August 7, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  14. Reality Check Richmond Virginia

Loserman?

August 7, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  15. Chuck, Montgomery, AL

Giuliani was a gangster like figure in NYC when I worked there, and he still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck when I see/hear him.

No credibility.

August 7, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  16. Bulldog

These people claiming to be PUMAs or Democrats for McCain are frauds. They are Republican frauds pretending to be Hillary supporters. The march in Denver is a bunch of Republicans claiming to be Hillary supporters. Frauds. Anyone including a 3 year old can pretend to be someone else. I for one am not falling for your games.

August 7, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  17. Jake Bryant

Former Mayor Giuliani then added, "September the 11th."

This won't happen, we're fully in wild VP speculation mode.

August 7, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  18. Open Your 3rd Eye

That Rudy sure is a slick one. Make sure you powder your hands in this guy's presence.

August 7, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  19. L. Shaver, New York, New York

A Democrat for McCain here. I would love to see a McCain Clinton ticket...talk about a dream team!

August 7, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  20. Patrick

This would be great. I hope Obama and McCain both pick people from another party to be their VP. This is what we need more of as a country; working together and not hating/bashing the other side. There are so many lunactic Obama supporters who bash McCain but probably have no idea of his voting record. They're like robots who bash Republicans constantly. If Obama picks Hagel and McCain picks Lieberman than both sides would have to eat it and learn to like someone from the other party.

August 7, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  21. XB Cold Fingers

How bout the Honorable Senator Joseph Lieberman.

Not only is he a Democrat, but was a candidate for Vice President, he's a neocon, and he's a moron.

August 7, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. LI Guy

Rudy the Rude is finished, but cannot resist the temptation to get in front of the cameras. If he had somehow been elected president, I was ready to move my family to Norway.

August 7, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  23. Cathy

I don't believe it for a second he would pick a democrat.

McCain is already on thin ice with his party and was just the fall-out pick because every other nominee was even worse then him.

August 7, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  24. Johnny London

the Republicans are a bunch of really sick people.OB is a presidential candidate. One, you say people don,t know him...now you say you've seen too much of him.you confused people.One thing for sure is your problem with this candidate....your innermost nature. I NEVER EXPECTED YOU TO BE DIFFERENT FROM YOUR PARENTS OF THE 40's.

August 7, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |