August 7th, 2008

McCain to meet with Ohio residents facing job losses

Sen. McCain and his wife, Cindy, greeted voters in Marion, Ohio Thursday.
Sen. McCain and his wife, Cindy, greeted voters in Marion, Ohio Thursday.

LIMA, Ohio (CNN) - Facing questions about his role in a deal that established a DHL shipping hub in Wilmington, Ohio, John McCain has scheduled a meeting on Thursday afternoon with residents of the town to discuss a proposal by the company to shut the air park - a move that would cost Wilmington over 8,000 jobs.

In 2003, McCain and his campaign manager Rick Davis, then a lobbyist, helped push through the senate a merger between foreign-owned DHL and a domestic company that brought the hub, and its many jobs, to Wilmington, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

But now that the company may close the air park as a cost-saving measure, Democrats are calling on McCain to use his past links to the company to help save the thousands of jobs at stake. McCain will undoubtedly try to alleviate those concerns at today’s meeting.

It’s not the first time McCain has faced questions about the air park on the campaign trail. On July 9, at a town hall meeting in Portsmouth, Ohio, a Wilmington resident named Mary Houghtaling asked McCain to investigate the park closing.

“I have been briefed and read about the situation and the enormous dislocation, I believe its 8,600 jobs,” McCain told her. “This is a terrible blow.”

But McCain wasn’t optimistic the air park could be saved, and took several minutes to promote his plans for job re-training programs.

“I got to look you in the eye and give you straight talk,” he said. “I don’t know if I can stop it or not. Or if it will be stopped, so I have to tell you that. It’s some straight talk. In fact, some more straight talk: I doubt it. Okay? But I am for a thorough examination of this situation, and I will do everything I can to see that that’s conducted.”

The Ohio Democratic Party launched a web ad Thursday highlighting those comments. The spot accuses McCain and Davis of having “played roles in the fate of DHL Express and its Ohio air park as far back as 2003.”

Filed under: John McCain • Ohio
  1. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Any irony in the fact that his capmaign manager lobbied to put together the deal that is putting these people out of work? If you want the rest of America outsourced to India and China, then vote McSame. You'll get what you so richly deserve...

August 7, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  2. akaDoug

Only after it became public knowledge did he agree to meet with them. That is low! Take away 8,000 jobs with your lobbist buddies and don't even care until the media gets it that is! Very sad! I voted for this guy in 2000, but this election has shown just what a dirtbag he is!

I'm proud to vote for Obama!

August 7, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. BT in CO

Sincerely sorry Wilmington is losing the jobs McCain helped create, but maybe–gosh, just maybe–Hopama will save them. Click your heals and B E L I E V E!

August 7, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Remember McCain has never had to get a job. He went to a military academy at government expense (not great grades, by the way) – then went into military service (crashed more than one plane) and after refusing a promotion to Admiral, got elected to Congress:

He's always had government salary and health care. His government pension and health care is secure. He gets $58,000 a year from his country as a 100% disabled vet. He married rich and enjoys a choice of 10+ houses.

Retraining for what? What jobs does he have in mind? People working at a DHL hub may not have the desire to become teachers or scientists ... or flip burgers.

McCain has no real clue as to life in the real world.

August 7, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  5. Willy

People to lazy to get educated and rely on old jobs and ways are the dumb ones who need to keep voting dimwitcrat!

August 7, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. EqualBranchesofGovernment

At the meeting McCain will give them all six-packs of Budweiser and tell them to "drink up" now that Anheuser-Busch has been bought out by In-Bev.......Maybe he can send DHL to St. Louis when those jobs go.

August 7, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  7. dk

John Mccain is a FREETRADE Globalist he is not interested in you or your problems unless you are a crybaby JEW or live in Jewsylvania/Israel.

August 7, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  8. John McCain

My friends, Cindy and I have decided that if the airport closes, we will buy it and make it a beer distribution hub to keep everyone employed. We will also allow drinking on the job, hell, even I had a few drinks before I came by. What did I just say? Oh yes, I'm against raising taxes and we need to drill for more oil, right here, right now.

August 7, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. bridgette

What is he going to say. That he voted for all of the free trade laws that took their jobs. What is wrong with us as citizens why do we fall for this foolishness every four years. This man has been in the Senate for atleast 25 years and no one can say what he has done. I know you are going to bring up the Keating 5, but, that only happened after he made a plea deal for not going to jail. He was apart of the Keating 5 and turned on him when the Savings and Loans went under. So give me something else he has done.

August 7, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  10. Jo Ann

after 26 years he finally meets with the common people and it is only for their vote- once he make president it will be for the rich like Bush all
    the way.

August 7, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. voter

I'm waiting on McCain to blame this on Obama... just like he said it's Obama's fault oil prices are where they are.

26 years of BAD "experience"
    95% votes with Bush = NOT a "Maverick" at all

August 7, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. Intelligence is ruling the world and ignorance is bearing the burden

What is McBum or McSame or " Hey old dude" going to do to help the jobless in Ohio? Absolutely nothing. In fact if he had it his way he would allow more businesses to outsource. At least Obama is giving an incentive for corporations to stay in the US and a disincentive to go abroad.

August 7, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. Mark Webb

Welcome to the Double Talk Express.
    McSame / Hilton 08.

August 7, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. yala

I hope these jobless people gave Mcfree trade a piece of their mind

August 7, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Lost in CNN Moderation

Maybe he should fire Davis. Then he could continue to advise him like his buddy Gramm.

McCain campaign is basically a bunch of lobbyest with time on their hands.

August 7, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Caroline

Obama has become quite the accomplished "celebrity" since his only 4 years of senate and i think we should all applause him for trying to be a great American, but is a celebrity of liberal television, but not of his patriotic duties what we want for president. I think not. Vote McCain he will help America grow better as a country and not give what should be public service annoucments, such as filling up your tires, but give advice of off shore drilling to help preserve United States energy.

August 7, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  17. jason, tx

You gonna tell them what you told the people in Michigan? You're a waste of time McCain.

August 7, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. Vietnam Vet

Brian!
    Read the story and Make your comment.
    If you read the story- – Turn your brain to on and read the story!!
    Moron

CNN Post my commemts

August 7, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  19. HE'SaFAKE!

AND MCCAIN WILL NOT DO A DAM THING, BECAUSE HE DOES NOT GIVE A DAM. DOES HE GO HOME AND CAN HAVE ALL WHAT HE CAN EAT.

WELL, THA'S EXACTLY WHAT HE WILL DO WHEN HE'S FINISHED BEING FAKE

August 7, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. Pre-Menstrual United McCain Admirers-PUMA

Everybody in the world sucks except HILLARY
    I'm votin'for MCbomb

August 7, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  21. Pre-Menstrual United McCain Admirers-PUMA

Brian!
    Read the story and Make your comment.
    If you read the story- – Turn your brain to on and read the story!!
    Moron

CNN Post my commemts

August 7, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  22. Mike

Hypocrite McBush sends all our jobs to China then says Americans must retrain. Retrain to say, ' you want fries with that order?'

August 7, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  23. Travis

And when McWar finished his NOTE READING speech.....he ran out

the door faster than a scalded cat.....he wouldn't answer ONE question

And got aboard his 'MCLIAR EXPRESS"....running out of town before

they threw rotten tomatoes at him. So much for his "townhall meeting"

When it's convieniet and the audience is stacked with Reflipicans he'll

stay and BS us for national news.

August 7, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. Wilmington resident for Obama

Hey liberal media lies!,

I would like to see you get off of your lazy butt and tell the workers of ABX Air and DHL in Wilmington, OH that. I have lived in this community for over 20 years, and I am here to tell you it will completely destroy this town. After economic windfall, the total job loss will be close to 10000. Population of Wilmington, OH: between 11000 and 13000.

August 7, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |