August 7th, 2008

Pawlenty: GOP needs to 'freshen up'

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty has been mentioned as a potential VP pick for Sen. John McCain.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty – mentioned as a top contender to be John McCain’s running mate – said Thursday that the Republican Party needs to change its image and outreach geared toward young voters.

“I don't think we're doing a very good job reaching out and attracting the support of young people right now and that is part because we need to freshen up the party a little bit,” Pawlenty told CNN Headline News’ Glenn Beck. “Doesn't mean we dilute our values or change our values. We just have to do a better job of making sure we translate that them into the modern generation.”

Watch: Pawlenty on GOP, guns, bailouts

Veepstakes speculation has recently surrounded Pawlenty, a governor from a state in play this year. Political analysts say the Minnesota governor – who possesses a Washington-free resume - could take some of the same-old/same-old feel off the Republican ticket, counterbalancing McCain's age and decades in Congress with a light touch.

Watch the full interview on Glenn Beck tonight at 7 p.m. ET on Headline News.

Pawlenty also touched on a hot-button issue: Gun rights.

“[I’m a] strong supporter of the second amendment and I have been supported in all my elections by the NRA,” he said. “I'm the only governor in the USA to sign the concealed carry legislation twice. Once after the court threw it out and once before.”

When asked if car companies such as GM, Ford and Chrysler – who have fallen on hard times with a sagging economy – need a bail out, Pawlenty said the government “can be in the business of bailing out every large company that's in trouble.”

“We'd be bailing out the airlines we'd be bailing out lots of other companies, I think the answer is to have those companies … be competitive and compete in a world marketplace.”

The Minnesota governor also praised McCain’s ideas on tax credits for people who purchase next generation vehicles, which he said includes low emissions, fuel efficiency and next generation cellulite battery technology for their cars.

Filed under: John McCain • Tim Pawlenty
  1. obama is the most dangerous man alive

Hey,thetruthhurts, boy are you confused...or just stupid. Which is it.

August 7, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  2. truth

exxonmccain.com

August 7, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  3. SwingVoter

Perhaps McCain can pick Paris Hilton as his running mate. That will freshen the party...

August 7, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  4. Clergyman IN tn

Perhaps if Sen. McCain knew how to turn on a computer , use the internet and e-mail, all tools of the modern age you might catch up to the technological advances of Sen. Obama.

But as Paris Hilton said: "John Mcain is the oldest celebrity in the world, like super-old, old enough to remember when dancing was a sin and beer was served in a bucket," and she asks, "but is he ready to lead?"

August 7, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Clergyman

August 7, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  6. Nancy

To "TheTruthHurts" Yep! Luckily when I was young the Republicans never appealed to me because they always seemed filled with greedy "I only care about myself people" I liked your description though except for the old guys who end up working for oil companies making 45 million or more a year salary-then they stay Republicans because they want to hold on to all their money and care even less about others!!
    Who the H needs to make 45 million a year I ask? I wouldn't know what to do with one million and I think that is more than enough for most people. It is sick....

August 7, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  7. Catty

Sherry, I would have to disagree. Being a recent college grad, the idea of starting my own company, working hard and making as much money as I want is what I relate to. I don't relate to big government taxing me to death, charging me for medicare that I'll never be a recipient of, social security that I will NEVER get back! I don;t relate to giving anyone breaks without their personal excerted effort.

August 7, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  8. Franky

"I think Republicans do fine with young people until they get their first job. Then they begin to realize how they're getting screwed. Then in their 50s if they've got any money, they go Republican again becuase they hate taxes. About retirement time they change back to Dems because they want Social Security and Medicare to be there for them.

See, we all flip-flop."

Good point, good point...LOL!!! But you know what? It is tough, to tell you the truth. Me personally, I'm lucky, to tell you the truth. Why do you think I like President Bush?? Is not because I agree with him, is because he does share my values, believe it or not. I always have a soft spot for him, is not easy. Plus, the President was my first......ohhh man that didn't sound right, LOL!!!!! And I guess you always remember your first.....man, I gotta stop, LOL!!!!

Boy, are men bad, huh? LOL!!!

August 7, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  9. McCain:SmallWeakCowardlyMan OffersMoreOfTheSame TearsOthersDownToBuildHimselfUp

Good luck freshening up Grampy, Mr. Pawlenty. If you are his VP pick, will you trade off with Cindy to freshen up his adult diaper every time he poops himself while lying on the campaign trail, my friend? Better show up for the debates, 'cuz he gonna be needin' a big boy diaper for the mess he leaves under those hot lights and direct questions.

August 7, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. bob

Obama for President, Mcsame for Arizona senate!

August 7, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. Independant Thinker

To – Ardnuas

"Pawlenty is a decent person, he should become a Democrat, and leave the HATE filled Republicans alone. All of the decent Republicans should switch parties TODAY!!!"

-----

That's funny, I made the same suggestion a while back to all the decent members of the democratic party. To leave the HATE filled democratic party.

Leave those democrats behind that bash our troops, that hold up good legislation, that won't drill for oil as part of the solution to our energy problems.

And yes, there are a number of democRATs that fit that bill.

August 7, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. Alan

Can someone stop a man called Romney from destroying social security ?

August 7, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Indiana Bob

I think Obama needs Rezko as his VP. Rezko bought the senate seat for Obama, set up the real estate deal so Obama could purchase his estate at $300,000 under market value, and Rezko personally paid for a $17,000 fence around the Obama mansion. So Rezko is owed some political favors by Obama.

And why isn't Obama being prosecuted for receiving bribes just like the senator from Alaska? Oh that's right, Obama would play the race card.

August 7, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. Veteran for Obama

Your tax credit idea is great but for the last month it has been blocked over and over again in the Senate and House. By REPUBLICANS.

August 7, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. Indiana Bob

PUMA - Vote McCain

August 7, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  16. In case you didnt know

The tax cut for the wealthy funded China's growth to American workers detriment. Rather than invest it here they invested in China to build the plants that took away American jobs. Now those same foreign workers who are buying cars are driving up the price of gasoline.

The tax break was a double wammy for American workers. Not only was the capital used to outsource their jobs but now the oil demands by the low wage employees who tooks those jobs is pushing up fuel prices and creating more misery and unemployment.

The wealthy tax break is a job eating ebola virus to the American economy. John McCain thinks this is wonderful.

August 7, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  17. PUMA

Good luck "freshening up" with a 72 year old candidate...lol!

OBAMA/SEBELIUS 2008-2012

August 7, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  18. The Texan

Perhaps McCain should stick with the "celebrity" ads because it's obvious most Republicans don't remember or know their own political history... Cough, cough... Ronald Reagan... The actor! ... The eloquent speech writer!

August 7, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  19. Adolf Hitler

Avoid the trauma, stop Obama!

August 7, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  20. Lisa

Obama a McCain wannabe. They both suck. Can I vote for Cindy McCain?

August 7, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  21. jason

you guys are doing worst job keep it up we need democrats to win

August 7, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  22. KatieL

Obama – no one knows what he stands for. Change We Can Believe In means, We Can Believe He Will Change – any time he can get a political advantage by changing.

August 7, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  23. empty vessel, empty words

Maybe when schools don't hire professors or teachers that only spew the liberal leftist agenda set forth by hack teachers unions, we might get young people to hear a differing view BEFORE they enter the REAL world.

I agree with Winston Churchill who put life wonderfully: "He who is not a liberal in their 20's has no heart, he who still is one in their 40's, has no brains".

This is about indoctrinating our young in schools and NOTHING ELSE.

The truth hurts you are a bit off, Democrats do fine with young people until they get their first job and have to pay EXTRA taxes for social programs for people that DON'T WORK or EVEN BETTER, WHEN they LOSE a job due to some affirmative action program that liberals covet.

Churchill was so right.

August 7, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  24. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Someone in the media said John McCain doesn't care how old he is, he just wants to be president. I agree because logically speaking why would McCain at age 71 even think he can lead this country into the 21st century which is a world of technology. The only thing McCain will be capable of doing is starting another war. McCain is scary and dangerous for our country.

August 7, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  25. Joe D'Agostino

Freshen Up? McFossil doesn't even no how to work a computer thingamajigee. At least Bush knew about the Internets. All one of them. The Republican party should stick to what they know best: taking bribes from the oil companies, running oil services companies like Haliburton, and keeping America addicted to oil while simultaneous running up the price of oil by fighting endless wars with oil rich nations and telling America the solution to our crisis is drill drill drill when we have 2% of the world's oil and we use 25% of the world's oil which of course will only make the oil companies have another umpteenth record profitable quarter for a public company.

August 7, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |