August 8th, 2008

Edwards admits lying about affair, says ABC

Edwards endorsed Obama in May.
Edwards endorsed Obama in May.

(CNN) – Former U.S. senator and Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards admitted to an extramarital affair in an interview with ABC News, the network reported Friday. He denied being the father of the woman's child, as had been alleged in tabloid reports.

Watch: Edwards met Hunter at a bar

Asked by a reporter late last month whether he had provided any financial support to Rielle Hunter, or to Andrew Young - the former Edwards aide who claimed paternity of the child - Edwards replied that "I have no idea what you are asking about, I have responded to consistently to these tabloid allegations by saying I don't respond to these lies." He also said again that he had not lied during his presidential campaign when he denied an affair with Hunter.

Election Center: The John Edwards File

Speaking to the network for a story to be aired Friday night, Edwards acknowledged the affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter, which began after she was hired to make documentary videos for his campaign, ABC said.

He said he has not taken a paternity test, but that the timing of the affair rules out the possibility that he could be her baby girl's father.

Full story

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. Obamalism

hypocracy transends party lines...always has, always will.

August 8, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. Boye

Hm... and I liked the guy. I guess he is off the VP list.

August 8, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  3. SJM

No wonder why he didn't want the #2 spot

August 8, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  4. Derek

"There's gambling in Casablanca?!?"

August 8, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  5. Ok

He wont be VP now

August 8, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. Nick

Thank God. Now no one will claim that he is a good choice for VP.

August 8, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  7. Ellen in Ohio

Wow, it's sad when the NATIONAL ENQUIRER was the publication that revealed the truth. I guess our mainstream media are too busy talking about Paris Hilton's fake ad.

August 8, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. Jaime in Texas

Obama: "This is not the John Edwards I knew."

August 8, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. I love America

Shame on you John Edwards!

Thank goodness I supported Barack Obama over your and Hillary.

Barack has proven to be a good family man.

Elizabeth, you're in our prayers.

August 8, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. Patty

So sad.

August 8, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Generation X

This is news? This is a every-day occurence world over. As long as there are men and women willing to give and receive, this will continue. It would only be a problem if the woman was underaged. It takes two to entangle and no job has been lost by Edwards sleeping with this woman. Give it a good rest for good!

August 8, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. kisha

WOW! ...didn't see that one coming.

August 8, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. Kay

I for one am not surprised. He didn't show much empathy for Elizabeth, when they were campaigning in the dead of winter. I felt so sorry for her. She is a strong women, who loved her man more than he loved her. God be with you Mrs. Edwards.

August 8, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. Liar, Liar

"Do As I Say, Not As I Do" new moto for Edwards re-election campain.... I bet John Kerry is saying thanks alot....

August 8, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. NoMcSame

Well I guess we can count him out. How stupid can these guys be with all eyes on them. He must have learned from Bill Clinton how to cheat and keep the wifee.
    Obama is the only man standing by his woman. McSame ran out on his so his word means nothing to me.
    Obama08

August 8, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. mike

Gonna be kinda hard for the liberal media to keep this quiet now, HUH?

August 8, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  17. Jeff

Wow, Fox News and the National Enquirer really scooped everyone on this one. Personally, I think the kid is his.

August 8, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Angelina

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Think of all the dimwits who wanted this guy to be PREZ. He can't even tell the truth about his own life! Democraps are dumb

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Rob Stumpf

Impossible!!!! Democrats NEVER lie.

This must be a Rovian trick to destroy him because Johnnie is our strongest VP candidate. That MUST be it. It's a conspiracy!

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Aaron, Sterling VA

I can't believe pot is still the head story even though this has broke and Russia has invaded another country that's allied with the U.S.

Boo to CNN for pushing things that are actually important under the rug and giving attention to stories that don't really impact anything.

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. Joe

Who cares, he is not running for anything now~~

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. KM

Okay, so he admits that he's human. This happens everyday but since he is in the spotlight, we rake him through the coals. The only person that he needs to answer to is his wife.

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Alex

Lying: bad.

Affair: worse.

Affair while wife WAS UNDERGOING CANCER TREATMENTS: Horrible.

Thanks, John Edwards.

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. Kevin,FL

How sad and disgusting, I feel bad for his wife Elizabeth(and kids), she's sick and now she have to deal with this,truly disgusting,poor judgment on John's part.

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. oh well

u were such a shoe in for vp too. missed ur chance

August 8, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |