August 8th, 2008

Edwards admits lying about affair, says ABC

Edwards endorsed Obama in May.
Edwards endorsed Obama in May.

(CNN) – Former U.S. senator and Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards admitted to an extramarital affair in an interview with ABC News, the network reported Friday. He denied being the father of the woman's child, as had been alleged in tabloid reports.

Watch: Edwards met Hunter at a bar

Asked by a reporter late last month whether he had provided any financial support to Rielle Hunter, or to Andrew Young - the former Edwards aide who claimed paternity of the child - Edwards replied that "I have no idea what you are asking about, I have responded to consistently to these tabloid allegations by saying I don't respond to these lies." He also said again that he had not lied during his presidential campaign when he denied an affair with Hunter.

Election Center: The John Edwards File

Speaking to the network for a story to be aired Friday night, Edwards acknowledged the affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter, which began after she was hired to make documentary videos for his campaign, ABC said.

He said he has not taken a paternity test, but that the timing of the affair rules out the possibility that he could be her baby girl's father.

Full story

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. NG in DC

No wonder he endorsed Obama - Hillary told him to get lost, creepy man who cheats on sick wife.

August 8, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  2. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

Here goes another Bill Clintons of this world and the cheating John McSames. And the audaucity that these lying, cheating bastards spouses still want to rule america and become president is very troubling!

John McSame – One Man, Multiple Wives, Multiple Lobbyist Concubines!

Obama is the ONLY true family man with true family values!

Barack Obama – One Man, One Wife, One America – The True Leader!!!

Obama '08/'12! – VOTE FOR CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. WOW!

My heart goes out of Elizabeth – while she's battling cancer her distingished husband is bedding other women!!!! Won't even hire him to clean toilets in House House.

4. PUMA in Training

Jaime in Texas:

Obama: "This is not the John Edwards I knew."

----------------------

Who does Obama really know? His recently Muslim coordinator, Rev. Wright, Michael Pfleger, Michelle Obama? That's his 'out' for everything.

5. stuart_zechman

This is all part of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy against Democrats.

6. Cynthia

Feel sorry for his wife but the reality of it he is no different from the rest of the men out there who cheat, be they Democrat or Republican.

7. carlo

Nobody's perfect! Goodness people. I didn't think it was funny when Elliot Spitzer got caught and its not funny now.

Why don't you just pray for people when these things happen and not throw stones?

I will admit though, he shouldn't have run for President with this looming over his head. That part is totally inconsiderate. However, I'm not his judge, and none of you are, either.

8. kathryn

NOW we know why he did'nt run with Obama. What a jerk! And his poor sweet, cancer-stricken wife probably knew what a creep he was all along. What a rat. Kathryn

9. Just to say

Well... I suppose I'll have to throw my full support behind La Clinton for VP now. I was counting on this guy... what a shame!

10. Michael

Sleeze, Power and Politics. Forever linked!

11. hooooey

Thanks National Enquirer for actually having breaking journalism. I am sorry Mrs. Edwards unless you knew about it which may not suprise me. Now O'Reilly will have to report on it that dirty big poppa bear

12. BigBear

I Love America. Not very much, I would say, when your definition of a good family man is someone who subjects their wife and kids to the diatribes of Reverend Wright, and the relationship of a convicted felon.

13. GMLP

"We have ALL sinned and fallen short..."

14. AK

Wikipedia says John Edwards is not a reliable source for stories on John Edwards.

15. TIm

Groan, something else that my Republican friends can chide me about. Thanks a lot, John.

16. jackjack

Obama clearly loves his ONLY wife, Michelle and she loves and respects him in return.

McCain with his SECOND wife...not so much.

My prayers go out to Elizabeth and the kids...

17. VegasGurl4Fun

Tha National Enquirer knows the law and the limits and they aren't going to print something in this litigious society that they know they can be sued for. They're the experts and have been in the business long enough to know what to print! Better start reading it for the truth!

18. Navy Veteran

Ouch! I smell divorce.

19. David

Well, that's the end of his political career.

20. stevep

Well said Ellen!

21. Neutral

TO THE MEDIA

LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!!!!!

You people in the media has done enough DAMAGE to this country!

22. Greg

There you go. Another person (man) cllaiming he knows what's best for me and my nation. Sleeping around on his wife, who has cancer of all things. What an idiot.

I'm not the least bit suprised by his behavior, and who cares if he was lying about it or not. Would it made him a better man if he admitted to it when he was running or what? Obviously, he lied to his wife, and what worse a behavior than that. Thank goodness people didn't vote for him.

Well, I wonder if Obama still wants the support of a man like this?

23. Aubrey

Congratulations for finally picking up the story, CNN. This has been in the blogger circles for MONTHS. Way to cheat on your terminally ill wife...Jerk.

24. Steve

Breaking News...Powerful men sleep around! Shocker!

25. Nisha

Shame on him!
    What a pain he caused to his deadly sick wife, who was campaigning with him all over the country.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10