August 8th, 2008

Edwards admits lying about affair, says ABC

Edwards endorsed Obama in May.
Edwards endorsed Obama in May.

(CNN) – Former U.S. senator and Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards admitted to an extramarital affair in an interview with ABC News, the network reported Friday. He denied being the father of the woman's child, as had been alleged in tabloid reports.

Watch: Edwards met Hunter at a bar

Asked by a reporter late last month whether he had provided any financial support to Rielle Hunter, or to Andrew Young - the former Edwards aide who claimed paternity of the child - Edwards replied that "I have no idea what you are asking about, I have responded to consistently to these tabloid allegations by saying I don't respond to these lies." He also said again that he had not lied during his presidential campaign when he denied an affair with Hunter.

Election Center: The John Edwards File

Speaking to the network for a story to be aired Friday night, Edwards acknowledged the affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter, which began after she was hired to make documentary videos for his campaign, ABC said.

He said he has not taken a paternity test, but that the timing of the affair rules out the possibility that he could be her baby girl's father.

Full story

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. Chris

Great work by CNN and the mainstream media. The National Enquirer has been on this for over a year, yet not a peep from any "legitimate" news sources until now. Edwards is a complete and utter disgrace of a man. I hope all his liberal supporters realize that he was always a phony.

August 8, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. JDS N.C.

We in NC dont like him but the Dem party nationally loves this guy. What a hypocrite. Obama is next.

August 8, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. TESAP;SAVANNAH, GA

jOHN IN cALIFORNIA?????? WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH OBAMA??????

No wonder he did not want the VP spot................. Sooner or later he would have to face the music

August 8, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  4. Matt

I was an Edwards supporter in 2004 and 2008. I am very disappointed in his appalling judgment and personal conduct, but he would still make a better president than Barack Obama.

NADER '08!

August 8, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Betty

"Just makes you wonder how many skeletons in the closet Barack has!"

Don't know, but its a pretty sure bet that McCain has more!

All of these guys are just human. The Edwards have been through some pretty tough times and I think all of us, UNCLUDING THE MEDIA, should cut them a little slack.

August 8, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. Paul

He's a democrat. What else is new?

August 8, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Andrea

A man's going to be a man please! Like this is new information, McCain and Obama probably have some skeletons in their closet. Bones just keeping jumping out for all these policitians. They are not angels and if a woman is willing, believe me these men would put their tally wackers where ever and when ever.

August 8, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Mortal Kombat

Two Americas, two John Edwards.

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. DJ Los Angeles

Last time I checked it is still not against the law to have an affair. Although unethical yes...but not illegal.

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Cheryl in North Carolina

How in the world could he do this to his family...especially to his wife who is battling cancer? Now he is adding this additional mental tourture to the mix. What a senseless and unthinkable act!! Another anchor is being thrown overboard on the Democratic Ship.

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. AG, Erie, PA

I must admit though I wouldn't vote for him he seemed the most upstanding of the three original front runners from the democrats. I'm sort of disappointed.

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. I used to enjoy politics

Let the bombshells and gotcha reports begin! It looks like the network nightly news will be more exciting than anything on the new Fall lineup. God bless America! Oh well at least Kwame F. will get bumped off the lying politician of the week list. The networks couldn't write better material...uggh!

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. Big Deal - Illinois

who cares.... once again , one of our Democratic hopefuls thinks with the wrong head.

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Wow I liked Edwards but a what terrible thing to do to Elizabeth and his children.

Wow the National Enquirer got something right?!?!?!?

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. Jason in Juneau

Wow, I really didn't see that coming at all. It's too bad but it also is common place in our society to cheat, it's everywhere you look. It's not an excuse, and I hope they are able to repair their marriage. I have this feeling though they've dealt with the issue between them before it went public, Elizabeth had to have had some idea about it.

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Brooke in PA

I always had a bad feeling about Edwards, like something about him always rubbed me the wrong way. I found out about this three weeks ago but now I'm glad it's coming out.

Funny, it's nearly 10 years to the day (August 17th) when another well known Democratic party member admitted to lying about an affair..hmmm.

My thoughts are with Elizabeth and the kids.

August 8, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  17. Maxine in Tennessee

This is a personal matter between him and his wife. No one can know the stress they've been through–certain cancer treatments prohibit conjugal relations. However, I wonder about the effect of this on public confusion with the OTHER Edwards who has been suggested for Democratic veep. Now confused voters will think HE had the affair.

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  18. Karen,

I am very disappointed in Edwards even so I know things like that happen all around us.
    With his wife Elizabeth suffereing with cancer it would have been nice if Edwards use some self control.

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  19. Anonymous

"His campaign aide acknowledged paternity.."
    Wow, that's both taking and getting one/some "for the team."
    Did John know his mistress was unfaithful?

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  20. AGW

Don't you worry about Barack's skeletons. Believe me, IF he has any, the republicans would have dug them out by now. He and Edwards are not one in the same.

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  21. Dan J

Suddenly the republican affairs don't seem so bad.

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. Patricia Conroy

If I have to watch his lovely wife stand next to him on National TV with that fake grin of acceptance in support of him, I will scream. Please, somebody, tell her not to do that!

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. PaulE in Louisville KY

Seriously, the right-wingers better be WAY careful condemning him for this. There have been so many sex scandals on the right side of the aisle, lately, it's been hard to keep track!

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. George

Hmmm... a Plaintiff personal injury attorney/politician caught lying about where he had been lying... I can't believe it! I'm shocked

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  25. Patrick Howard

Edwards has just confirmed what most of America already thought. He is just another empty suit with a great haircut. Always thought he would do well as a used car salesman, however, given his pitiful sense of ethics he should just continue his legal career.

August 8, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |