August 8th, 2008

Edwards admits lying about affair, says ABC

Edwards endorsed Obama in May.
Edwards endorsed Obama in May.

(CNN) – Former U.S. senator and Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards admitted to an extramarital affair in an interview with ABC News, the network reported Friday. He denied being the father of the woman's child, as had been alleged in tabloid reports.

Watch: Edwards met Hunter at a bar

Asked by a reporter late last month whether he had provided any financial support to Rielle Hunter, or to Andrew Young - the former Edwards aide who claimed paternity of the child - Edwards replied that "I have no idea what you are asking about, I have responded to consistently to these tabloid allegations by saying I don't respond to these lies." He also said again that he had not lied during his presidential campaign when he denied an affair with Hunter.

Election Center: The John Edwards File

Speaking to the network for a story to be aired Friday night, Edwards acknowledged the affair with 42-year-old Rielle Hunter, which began after she was hired to make documentary videos for his campaign, ABC said.

He said he has not taken a paternity test, but that the timing of the affair rules out the possibility that he could be her baby girl's father.

Full story

Filed under: John Edwards • Popular Posts
  1. Anita

I dont like what he did but nobody knows the whole story or circumstances. Rather have an indiscretion than someone running the country that has half a brain and continues to damage our economy. I'd take Edwards with this story than what's happened to the US over the last 6+ years

2. Franky

"It's a sad story but infidelity happens all the time and causes grief in families every day."

No,no, I don't buy that. Yeah, there are people who cheat on their wives but there are as many people who have a wonderful and loving family. Infidelity is a choice not an option...

It is surprising that the GOP may have all the crazynness involve, but even the Dems themselves are following their footsteps...

I feel bad for him, I do. Is a big mistake that he said it publicly...

3. Dia

I'm sick over this; I really thought he was different. The republicans are running scared to dig this up!

4. Dean in Florida

The future Attorney General.

5. Shirley

Terrible, just terrible. What a scumbag.

6. MN

What else does the msm self censor? this is old news and the msm did nothing.....Remember the McCain rumors......they were all over that.

7. cb

Not surprising. These stories have become the norm rather than the exception. What I find most repugnant is this guy's amazing hubris – did he really think he could run for public office and keep this story buried? What stupidity! He can now join the prestigious ranks of lying cheating politico's like Newt Gingrich who did the same thing to his wife who was suffering from cancer. How very sad for his family – they are the ultimate victims here.

8. rob

Oh well another guy cheating on his sick wife. Can you spell McCain and his first wife?

9. JH

What a creep !!! I feel sorry for Elizabeth and their children.

10. POL

J Smith August 8th, 2008 3:14 pm ET

I wonder if this would have gotten more than 2 sentences if it were a republican former presidential candidate. And they say there is no media bias.
    _________________________________________
    I'm sure you would have seen it before now on CNN.... They (and other media) have been very quiet on this story over the last 2-3 weeks that it has been going on.

11. Tel It Like It Is

Infidelity is simply a standard of measure for the soul.

There are plenty of private and public examples of the selfish, petulant power hungry feeding their egos at the expense of spouses, families, friends, companies, supporters, etc

He has the company of Clinton, Gingrich, Spitzer, Greevy and multitudes of others

12. AJ from Austin

It's about time the MSM reported on this. These rumors have been flying for a while, but because he's a democrat, the media is in no hurry to report on it.

13. Danielle

Sad. Oh well.
    It's a good thing McCain can't say much of anything about this subject!
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

14. Cheri

Who cares this is between him and his family and is none of our business.

15. David

Why does it take FoxNews to break this story after the National Enquirer and CNN to take so long to finally look into it after John Edwards finally admits to it. I think CNN needs to focus on being a little more objective than filling up the news with unwanted and useless Obama news articles.

16. mark

"I really viewed John Edwards as one of the few really upstanding men of our time."???

a man who "channeled" the voice of a dead child in court to sucker a jury into a ridiculous verdict is one of the most upstanding men of our time? really???? these are dark times indeed

17. Tom

Oops. Wardrobe malfunction (zipper), I would guess.

18. Dorothy

Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I truly believed that John Edwards might be one of the few decent men/husbands in the world (as I think Barack Obama is), and am truly sad and disheartened about this. I truly believed that he loved and respected his wife so much that he was truly incapable of betraying her. Oh my God...I guess nothing is sacred. There are words that I could resort to to describe the kind of person who would betray a woman as decent, loyal, couragious and smart as Elizabeth Edwards is...but I will let you guys fill in the blanks. Elizabeth honey, just get the H away from that slimeball. Printable enough?

So men really ARE pigs...but then that would be insulting the pig in Mr. Edwards case.

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. N.S

I just heard the sound of a political career being shot behind a shed.

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. disenfranchised

What's the big deal? We're talking about a polititian here. They all have something in the closet. It's just that noone knows about them yet.

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Dianne in NY

A big disappointment for sure, especially with his wife being
    so sick. Now whats going to come out about Obama before
    this is all over. At least with Hillary it was all out there, like it
    or not.

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Tim in California

We have a chap above...John from California....wonders what skeleton's Obama has in his closet. Who cares...but then again let's count McCain's known skeletons first:

He cheated on his first wife with his current wife. One wonders how many times he's done that?

He took bribes from Charles Keating.

He took bribes from Paxson Communications.

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. Spencer, Newport News, VA

I respect the fact that Mr. Edwards is being forthcoming with the public, but I don't think that's any of my business and it shouldn't be none of America's business either.

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. Joe

Hey Luke Brown, this is not about McCain. This is about a sleazeball guy who thought he would not get caught or that people would feel bad for him because of his wife's illness. This should not be about politics and to bring in McCain is just immature.

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. StopOBAMAEXPRESS

Edwards is the lowest person on earth. His wife fighting cancer and he is out having an affair. I am sure Obama has dirty secrets too!

August 8, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |