August 8th, 2008

McCain, Hillary Clinton react to news of Edwards affair

(CNN) - John McCain was tight-lipped Friday afternoon when it came to answering any questions about former U.S. Senator and Democratic hopeful John Edwards's admittance to having an extramarital affair. Edwards acknowledged he had had an affair with a former aide in 2006 but denied being the father of her baby. McCain told reporters "I don't have any comment on that" during a press conference in Rogers, Arkansas.

In Nevada, New York Senator Hillary Clinton said her "thoughts and prayers are with the Edward's family today" when asked if she thought her party would suffer any repercussions because of the scandal. Senator Clinton held an impromptu press conference following a campaign event in Las Vegas for Barack Obama where the statement was made.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards • John McCain
  1. HoldenLitgo

Only an ignoramus would connect the party with the private affairs of a man and a woman, even if it was an adulterous affair. Now, if, as a member of congress, he'd voted for discriminatory legislation against gays and was then found to have engaged in illegal homosexual acts but denied any wrongdoing, we might have to connect the dots and denounce him as a hypocrite. But to then say that the entire party was hypocritical for their stance against equal rights for gays as the result of the hypocritical and homophobic actions of one or two or three or even a thousand or more of the closeted homosexual members of that party, that's going too far.

August 9, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  2. Carl from MI

Now he joins the ranks of the Washington elite with sex scandals...

Bill Clinton
    Tim Hutchinson
    Henry Hyde
    Bob Packwood
    Richard Curtis
    Randall L. Tobias
    Mark Foley
    and more... and these are only the ones we've found out about!!

August 9, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  3. Carl from MI

Actually... Kwame doesn't count! I just threw him in there because his scandals are just as big as any of the other people on the list....

August 9, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  4. Gobama

Zip it, Hilary!
    You are a mere surrogate, remember?
    No comment is an option. Use it!
    Stay on message and don't allow yourself to be distracted. The opponents would love to divert attention to irrelevancies.

Allow the Edwards to talk about their PRIVATE affairs if they wish.
    You have nothing to add.

If you feel for the Edwards, you can say it PRIVATELY.
    Stop feeding the insatiable media alligators over someone else PRIVATE FAMILY affairs.

August 9, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  5. Sarah

Ia this a joke, after her husband behavior over the years!!! Ha, ha, ha

August 9, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  6. tim

Mrs. Clinton should get away from Obama, Edwards, the crazy church,
    the crazy minister, the empty words and all the other nothingness that
    is the Obama campaign. She has a shot at the nomination now and
    should step quietly around the Obama wreck.

August 9, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  7. Rob Stumpf

So a politician looks you in the eye.

And lies. Repeatedly.

You then TRUST the person?!

It doesn't make a difference if the lie is about an affair, a war, policy, or anything else. It doesn't make a difference if it's a Republican or Democrat. It doesn't make a difference what else is going on in the world.

You can't trust a liar. You don't want a liar to your President. You'd think people learn this after the past several years...but no.

August 9, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  8. Goodson

Why ask Mccain? this is really an uncomfortable issue for him, his own sins is always by his right side and staring into his eyes whenever he's giving a speech. What an uncomfortable way to be reminded of ones past, Edwards, why now?

August 9, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  9. Dragon

ABSOLUTELY.....

COMMENT....

Private! Private!! Private!!! Matter.....

That is it Period!

August 9, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  10. Lee Anderson

If the citizens in this country were as concerned about how our government operates as they are about individuals' sexual prowess we would be in much better shape right now. Sadly, if the sex lives of all our presidents - past as well as present, as well that of all the "hopefuls" - were exposed on TV and the internet, I doubt there would be any saints to extol. With the failing condition in which we presently find every area of our government I strongly suggest that we take care of first things first!

August 9, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  11. jayjayaye

What in the world does John Edwards' infidelity have to do, other than ending his political career, with the curremt Obama vs. McCain fight for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency? Other, perhaps - and this wouldn't surprise me at all - to see a McCain supportive TV ad hinting that it was Obama and his nefarious agents who acted as pimps to set up the whole affair.

August 9, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  12. THE LADY WITH MEN PROBLEMS LIKE THIS

MEN ARE GREEDY AND NEVER SATISFIED WITH THE ONE THEY ARE WITH.

August 9, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  13. Sarah

Ha, ha ha. What a joke. Clinton should know all about affairs. And he is going to speak at the DNC. Pathetic.

August 9, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  14. JOEL

First it was Clinton then Edwards is Obama next?

August 9, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  15. Boston For OBAMA

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Pray for the Edwards family.

August 9, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  16. Jeremy Smith

He is human and we all make mistakes. Had he not been in the spot lighgt it would be no big deal. We are all human. I have been married and I was cheated on and no body ever made it fromt line news on CNN. My god let Mr. Edwards and his family deal with it but the whole population doesnt need to be apart of what he did. Let him be and let him and his family deal with it. If we have nothing better to talk about than this we have to many news stations. My God talk about the good things that happen and not worry so much about bring someone down. Its the news people who are wrong for making it a big deal. How many times has the person who broke this story had an realtions with somebody else that who they where with?

August 9, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  17. Mike Mace

I can't Imagine how hard it is for the Edwards' It was probably just as hard for Hillary. My ex bf did the same to me. Thank god it wasn't in the national spotlight I would have been devastated. My thoughts are with the Edwards family. And as a Hillary supporter some food for thought for other Hillary supporters: vote for the green party if you can in your state. I can't and I am just going to write her name in if she isn't picked for VP. To the anti-Hillary people: I am not doing it out of anger, I honestly do not trust Obama in the oval office. And I donate to pay off her debt monthly. :P

August 9, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  18. Fadi

Obama-Edwards 2008.

Doesn't get any better (at lying) than this. Actually, doesn't get any more disgusting than this. Listen, Democrats, morality is not optional.

August 9, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  19. jayjayaye

What "moderation" would you like before you send out my comment? I mean, who could possibly blame McCain personally for such an unfounded suggestion? After all, he is only 100 % in charge of his own compaighn.

But whatthehell, obviously what I have to say is politically incorrect (McCain using political innuendons? Unthinkable!!!) So I don't expect ever to see any more of these thoughts on this program.

I still enjoy watching your programming whenever I can't.

August 9, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  20. Pat

John McCain better not "comment on that". It would be the pot calling the kettle black. I wonder why his previous affairs haven't been brought out. On the other hand.....why are we bothered with any of these affairs. We already know that a lot of the politicians are not accountable for their actions and feel very entitled to do whatever they please while spouting morality. Since that's a given, and so many of them are doing such things, I have to wonder why it's such big news, or even such a surpirsing scandal.

August 9, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  21. WORD UP!

The Edwards affair will have a negative impact on his public image. Clinton and Jackson committed adultery and now this guy. The downside is this chick was't even worth it!

JFK was fooling around with Marilyn Monroe. Two thumbs up for that guy!

August 9, 2008 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  22. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Both Clinton and McCain know that they are not perfect either, so their comments were very appropriate. John Edwards is the one who lied and is still lying about why he was at the hotel with his so called former mistress. He should do a paternity test to silence the question about the baby girls father. Obama's comments were also appropriate, but everyone thinks he is perfect, just like JFK.

August 9, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  23. Anonymous

It is alright for McCain to have a lot affairs on his first wife and even
    having affairs with Cindy while he was still married to the other.
    Don't tell me.you didn't know about it. It was on TV a few years back.

They say on the news that Edwards will never be in public office
    again because of his affair.

I guess no one can talk about McCain affairs. Also anything like the KEATING SCANDEL and the votes in the sentate. I guess it's
    must be he is a hero from 50 years ago. He won't let anybody forget
    that . Don't let any body know that McCain has the worst recored
    in the senate on helping the Vets.
    By the way I'm a Independet !!!!

August 9, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |