August 8th, 2008

McCain, Hillary Clinton react to news of Edwards affair

(CNN) - John McCain was tight-lipped Friday afternoon when it came to answering any questions about former U.S. Senator and Democratic hopeful John Edwards's admittance to having an extramarital affair. Edwards acknowledged he had had an affair with a former aide in 2006 but denied being the father of her baby. McCain told reporters "I don't have any comment on that" during a press conference in Rogers, Arkansas.

In Nevada, New York Senator Hillary Clinton said her "thoughts and prayers are with the Edward's family today" when asked if she thought her party would suffer any repercussions because of the scandal. Senator Clinton held an impromptu press conference following a campaign event in Las Vegas for Barack Obama where the statement was made.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards • John McCain
  1. Out with McWar

You left out Newt, the Gov. of New York ,Idaho Craig and shall we keep adding ?
    He said I HAD an affair 2006 when it seems to be more than had "it was only hours ago his little Johnny was out and about during the midnight fling was it just looking the place over?

August 8, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  2. Alan Boyer

Time for McCain to admit his affairs...

August 8, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  3. Aaron, American in Taiwan

Why does something as irrelevant to the political future of our country as this get so much more coverage than the things that are?
    Are we really so entertained by scandal?

August 8, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  4. Ridgeway

Well, the truly amazing thing is this guy actually had the nerve to run for President. Duh. Maybe that's why he pulled out. Oops, did I say that? I mean this lady was on his staff and...oops there I go again. How do I say this delicately? I mean Monica wasn't on Bill's staff as she was just an intern. She was close but no cigar. Oops, I did it again. Another Freudian slip. Bill and John should have stopped while they were ahead. Oh, geez I can't stop.....

August 8, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  5. Billy Mange

I am so sick off CNN and the other "news" outlets anchors and reporters showing their "outrage" over this story. This is between John Edwards, his wife, and his family! Period! We've had nearly eight years of deception, half-truths, media manilpulations and a host of other "real stories" that could be reported on...but yet we focus on the sensationalism and gossip. In case you guys haven't notice – our troops are dying in droves in Iraq and Afghanistan, good people are losing their homes, Exxon has posted outrages profits on the backs of hard-working Americans, Russia is taking over Georgia, and all I saw on CNN this afternoon was "John Edwards had a SEXual affair!!!!!!! Wolf,and others- you are a sad commentary on real "journalism".

August 8, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. T Harris

maybe they will catch Obama in a hot tub with some real doozie – get rid of the whole democratic bunch. Now that Hilary is selling out her supporters – get rid of them.

August 8, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. Ridgeway

Edwards says he was "stripped bare". Yeah, no kidding. Does he mean recently or like back in 2006?

August 8, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  8. Brett

Other D screwed up.. :)

August 8, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  9. gene

I'm sure McCain wasn't about to make a comment about that one... considering his own history :) and Hillary of course just gave the most generic answer you can possibly give.. because she was the victim of being cheated on.

Obama can actually comment on this because of all these polititions.. he's the only one who seems to be in a genuin relationship.

August 8, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  10. Michelle, MO

Of course McCaine has no comment and he better stay tight lipped because he don't want to be accuse of doing the same thing to his first wife....LOL

August 8, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  11. Jill Reynolds

Hmmmm, John McCain had NO comment? I wonder why.....

August 8, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  12. Same ol' stuff

This must be a new fad!! Have an affair and apologize. That makes it OK. Just when the Democrats have a chance for the White House, they never seem to disappoint me!!

August 8, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. Barbara - 65 yr old white female in NC

Rabble-rousers – cut my comments

You all just stir and stir – you're not even the journalists that NI has.

Shame on you

McWarmonger left his crippled wife for a millionaire – leopards don't change their spots. He's still a womanizer!!!!!!

August 8, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. Delegate from California

My thoughs and prayers are with Elizabeth and her kids.

I honestly don't have any respect for John Edwards now, I know this is none of our business and this is only between them, but for someone to have an affair while your spouse is fighting cancer, I am sorry but he is a son of a gun.

I am glad I voted for Senator Clinton and not John Edwards.

Delegate from California...

August 8, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  15. projectial barfing

Let's hope Elizabeth has more intestinal fortitude than Hillary by divorcing Edwards. The women I know would ... no more wick dipping ! ! !

August 8, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  16. PAT California

McCaun had better not say anything or his own affair mught come out!!! At least Edwards is holding his marriage together. McCaun divorced his injured wife and married the homewrecker!

August 8, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  17. Muz

What...Hillary comments but no mention of Bill?

August 8, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  18. Sue

This is an issue for the Edwards family to work out. NOT CNN.

August 8, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  19. jim

CAN NOT BE A DEMOCRAT UNLESS YOU CHEAT ON YOUR WIFE AS IN CLINTON,JACKSON AND EDWARDS

August 8, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  20. Anonymous

yada yada yada...more democratic oops

August 8, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  21. G.I. Castillo-Feliu/Rock Hill, SC

Correction: it's "the Edwards family," NOT "the Edward's family," and, by the way, why should his personal behavior be national news? Whatever he did is his own business and it concerns him and his family.

August 8, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  22. Rick

Given the way everyone nowadays links personal no-nos to the party, I won't be surprised at any attempt. Both sides are just as bad. My only comment is that among his other faults, Edwards has really BAD taste.

August 8, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  23. Cheryl

McCain told reporters "I don't have any comment on that......Because he is guilty of cheating on his 1st wife ...........If this was about Senator Obama he would be bumping his gums .......and running some type of negative Ad ....Old HOG JAW!!!

August 8, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  24. Dee Clements

Of course he was tight lipped! He is guilty of the same thing and now is not the time to remind everyone that he left his disabled wife for the wealthy beer hieress! Once a cheater, always a cheater. But, this is the real McCain. Obama 08

August 8, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  25. Peter Moore

Russia is rebuilding the Soviet Empire as we speak and this is all you can talk about? Pathetic.

August 8, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |