August 8th, 2008

McCain, Hillary Clinton react to news of Edwards affair

(CNN) - John McCain was tight-lipped Friday afternoon when it came to answering any questions about former U.S. Senator and Democratic hopeful John Edwards's admittance to having an extramarital affair. Edwards acknowledged he had had an affair with a former aide in 2006 but denied being the father of her baby. McCain told reporters "I don't have any comment on that" during a press conference in Rogers, Arkansas.

In Nevada, New York Senator Hillary Clinton said her "thoughts and prayers are with the Edward's family today" when asked if she thought her party would suffer any repercussions because of the scandal. Senator Clinton held an impromptu press conference following a campaign event in Las Vegas for Barack Obama where the statement was made.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John Edwards • John McCain
  1. patrick

Yeah i wouldnt think Mccain would be making any comments on this matter seeing how his fling with Cindy left his ex wife hi and dry and disfigured.

August 8, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  2. No democrate cheater

Serve you right , Edwards! hope you bring Obama down with you too.

August 8, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  3. Peter E

So, according to the media, when it's the Clintons, it's not just a public matter, but his cheating is clearly her fault.
    But when it's Edwards, ooo, then we should forgive and forget, it's a private affair...
    And people keep denying that sexism is rampant...
    And now to return to reading all the hateful spin from Obama supporters, how Edwards' cheating is ALSO Hillary's fault somehow...

August 8, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  4. Peg

Of course McCain doesn't have a comment. He doesn't want anyone to mention that he did the same thing to his first wife. He cheated on her while she was sick, and got a quickie divorce and married Cindy the queen of beer.

If I was McCain, I would continue to keep my trap shut.

August 8, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  5. The truth will set you free!

When one cheats and lies on the most sacred of vows, the marriage vows, that he makes to God and his wife what else will he lie about. He repeatedly denied having the affair and then when caught he said he had it back in 2006 and it was over. What was he doing in her hotel room just this past July? The man is an habitual liar and to think he wanted to be President! I'm sure there is a lot more ugliness that is going to surface in the next few days.

I sure feel for his kids though.

August 8, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  6. FactCheck

GALESBURG, Ill.
    Maytag Plant shuts down and moves to Mexico, putting 1,600 people out of work.

Kathryn
    __________________

Nice piece of investigating Kathryn….some of us blogger do more than the MSM does in presenting the facts. Hope you Obamabots read Kathryn's blog and see the double standard set by the Obama campaign.

Laura, Boston
    _________________

Yeah, nice piece of investigating... too bad you left out the part about how all of this happened in **2004**!!! I guess as long as there are idiots who will buy into this crap, there will be idiots who will keep bringing it up.

August 8, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  7. LINDA,FL

I wish to hear more about McBush affairs.
    When it came up – media did NOT develope the story. And now you are researching Edwards deal under microscope.
    Enough.
    Go to McCain and give all details
    Right Away.

August 8, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  8. And the winner is:

Hillary: Boys will be boys!

August 8, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  9. Maureen

McCain is a disgusting pig.

August 8, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  10. Vig

Hillary Clinton – seasoned, experienced, mature. Hillary '08!

August 8, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. I miss Hillary

I never trusted John Edwards. He always seemed like some kind of snake-oil salesman to me. My other half told me I was too judgemental and had no reason to think ill of him. My Pisces intuition is still working.

John Edwards is a pig; right up there with Newt Gingrich. He doesn't need thoughts and prayers, he needs the Bobbit treatment.

August 8, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  12. mary

Let's use this as a litmus test to see if the pundits and reporting media treat the Edwards the same as they treated the Clintons. If all democrats forgive Edwards and the pundits and media gloss over the affair, then it is just proof again, that all media coverage that goes on in the news is skewed, biased and very unbalanced against the Clintons.

And that make any success that the Clintons achieve, whether it be Bill or Hillary, all the more impressive, given what they have to work against.

August 8, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  13. Independent Voter

And, silly me, I thought John Edwards was an empty suit.

August 8, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  14. paul swartz

Well, one wouldn't expect McSame to comment upon John Edwards infielity considering that McCaIn had an affair with Cindy BigBucks while he was married to his first wife whom he eventually left for the big donation from BigBucksBud corporation.

August 8, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  15. Peter E

And once again, CNN blacklisted me, I guess because not enough of my comments are pro-Obama enough...

August 8, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  16. S.B.

Hillary has a right to be ANGRY ! If Edwards had been honest or not run then Hillary would have picked up a large share of the votes that he received. The whole primary was WRONG. Hillary very well may have had more deligates than Obama. I was not a Hillary supporter but even I feel that she was the biggest loser in this deal next to Mrs. Edwards! To have an affair was not as wrong as intentionally lying to the american public and affecting the outcome of the primary vote.

August 8, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  17. Dayahka

Since John McCain also had an affair and divorced the wife who had supported him throughout his allegedly "heroic" days as a POW to marry a rich and not-too-far-from-a-bimbo socialite, is it any wonder that he has nothing to say?

August 8, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  18. dlm

Yeah.. McCain remains tight-lipped because if he doesn't want anyone bringing up the fact he is guilty of the same things Edwards is.

August 8, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  19. Peter E

Sometimes I do wonder about the automatic filters on this website. Do they look for such phrases as 'Obama 08' before allowing to even make the comment to the editor?

August 8, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  20. Javone

For once Mccain knows when to keep his mouth shut LOL

August 8, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  21. john

EDwards, another example of a politician with money, influence the national spotlight and NO brains... no brains..what is wrong with our world?? ...and apologizing for one's behavior does not excuse the behavior..so are we on a sinking ship...

August 8, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  22. Kim

I think John McCain has the right idea on this one....."no comment".
    Find me a politician who HASN'T had an affair, and tell me about it all day and night.....Cause that WOULD be news!

August 8, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  23. Jody Monroe

Edwards is not a saint. I hope this incident humbles him and brings him closer to God. God is ready with open arms, waiting to offer forgiveness.

August 8, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  24. Stephen Bravo

THANK GOD HE DID NOT WIN THE NOMINATION AT ALL. I DO NOT THINK THIS WILL HURT THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY BECAUSE OBAMA IS TO BIG A STAR FOR THAT TO HAPPEN

August 8, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  25. Pam

McCain did the same thing to his wife after she was disabled in a car accident. Why aren't we hearing about that?

August 8, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |