August 8th, 2008

Tickets for Obama's convention speech sold out

Obama will accept his party's nomination at Invesco field.
Obama will accept his party's nomination at Invesco field.

(CNN)– Tickets for Barack Obama’s Democratic National Convention speech at the Invesco Field in Denver sold out within 24 hours, according to campaign officials.

In early July, convention organizers announced the Illinois senator would officially accept the Democratic nomination at the 75,000 seat stadium rather than a 20,000 seat hall.

According to the Colorado Campaign for Change, the application process closed Thursday afternoon after more than 60,000 seats were snatched up.

Due to unprecedented demand, the campaign has created a waitlist for Coloradans hoping to get a chance to attend the August 28 event.

Obama's largest event to date was in Portland, Oregon, in May, where he drew an estimated crowd of approximately 75,000. He has done at least one previous stadium event, a joint appearance with talk show host Oprah Winfrey at Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina that drew about 29,000 people.

John F. Kennedy accepted the Democratic nomination for president in 1960 at Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, a 92,500-seat stadium in which an estimated 80,000 people gathered for his speech.

1. Irma in North Carolina

Well I sure hope they can keep the puma supporters away, they are so childish, stupid, and racits that they say they are going to vote for Mccain and get us formore years of Bush. These sick people need to be brought down on their knees. I never thought that usa would have such hate people as the puma gang.

August 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. LOVE MY USA

BO Known as Dr NO! Is a wolf in sheep clothing. Maybe he will shed his ware at the convention, then I wished I would have bought a ticket to the 3 ring circus of Deceit, Deciet, Deceit...!

CHANGE??????? BO – null null – otherwise known as Dr. NO!

"CHANGE"......What I Believe BO's Definition of Change Is!

C = COMMUNISM
    H = HATRED
    A = ABORTION
    N = NEGATIVE
    G = GREED
    E = ELITISM

"Change" is fleeting! Positive and Negative – Good and Bad. Obama's self-serving "change" born from contempt and controversy, is like a wrecker destroying in a day or two, what it took noble builders – our founding fathers – years to construct.

The tale of the sinister scorpion, mirrors BO's blueprint of deceit.

The scorpion, a poor swimmer, asked the turtle to carry him across the river. "Are you mad?" exclaimed the turtle. "While swimming, you'll sting me and I'll drown."
    Laughed the scorpion, "If I sting you, you would drown and I would go down with you. Where is the logic in that?"
    "You're right. Hop on!" said the turtle.
    Halfway across the river, the scorpion gave the turtle a mighty sting. As they both sank to the bottom, the turtle resignedly asked, "You said there'd be no logic in stinging me. Why did you do it?"
    "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion replied. "IT'S JUST MY CHARACTER."

MORAL – “IT’S NOT WHAT I SAY, BUT WHAT I DO”

LOVE MY USA

August 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. al phillips

All I can say is WOW.

This is INCREDIBLE

August 8, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  4. Jani

There was a huge concert going on at the waterfront where Barack Obama gave his performance in May, hence the 75,000 in attendance. Also it was a nice, sunny day and a lot of people hang out at the waterfront. This concert event was reported in their daily newspaper, the Oregonian.

Jani
    Richland, WA

August 8, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  5. Len in Washington

"BREAKING NEWS".......

Senator John McCain has selected the IHOP next to the RNC Convention as the site for his acceptance speech. Everyone attending will be served a shortstack and full order of Bunk. Tickets are $1.00 at the door (refunded later if over 50 are in attendance.)

Call 1-800-DUH to order your tickets now.

August 8, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. Julie

The way it's being reported you'd think Obama IS the Democratic party – his "celebrity" deserves a much larger stadium – way to go. And as Oprah said, "He is the ONE". Makes me believe even more related to the TIME article, that maybe for those of us who believe in the Bible, that Obama is the antichrist. Pretty sure CNN won't allow this comment but there are millions more like me who think the same way.

August 8, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Wisest one of All

What kind of moron would pay to see ANY politician????

Obama supporters are retards!

BTW, every one of you will be paying through the nose if he ever gets elected. Proven fact!

August 8, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Ted - NYC

I wish i could go. We love you Barrack!

Let's vote for the smart guy this time around. Not the angry guy.

August 8, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. violet

People actually have to pay for this man's vapid, repetitious,much-ado-about nothing rhetoric?

August 8, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. FactCheck

> I wonder how many bands are scheduled that day.

Yeah, that band that played at Oregon (the Decemberists) must have been the reason for the crowd. After all, a band that can't sell out a 3000 seat bar hall (look at their tour schedule) is exactly the type of band that would attract over 70,000 older couples, children, and naturalized citizens. You would do well to check some facts before proving your idiocy to the world.

August 8, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  11. Wisest one of All

Why Hussein Nobama can sell out this but not get bigger polling numbers??? Good question???

The DNC has plenty of money and can buy plenty of tickets!!! Proven fact!

August 8, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  12. James From Chicago

Please correct me if I am wrong, but dosen't every Michael Jackson
    concert sell out within hours??

August 8, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Greg

Pathetic! When did it become acceptable to openly support socialism in this great nation or ours?? Very disappointing!!

August 8, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  14. Patriot

Only his co-CON-spirators, the Keating Five Crooks, will be turning up for McCaint. lol

August 8, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. Willow, from Iowa

The Republicans laughed and thought Obama was so uppity when he requested giving his speech there. And reality is, everybody wants to go, and it sold out that fast. Hm, must be telling McCain something here about the RED state of Colorado, which is starting to turn blue.

August 8, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. John

The coverage of Obama starts to make me sick. I used to like Obama, the more coverage I see, the most I don't wanna vote for him. Instead of talking issues, he is now acting like a celebrity.

August 8, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

McSame will be spouting his IGNORANCE to his group of republican bigots convention as his "botox face" wife goes topless!!!!!!

August 8, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. Herman in LA

There will not be any Buffalo Chip stripping going on at this convention.

Vote Obama

August 8, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  19. Helene

Good. No place left for the Clintonistas and their 18 million so-called supporters I hope.

August 8, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. Mack

Sold OUt!!!!!!! What are they talking about – I have been waiting to hear how tickets will be given out...

This sucks!!

August 8, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. joli

wonder if theyre having a free music concert to draw people in... like they had for the Oregon event as well as the one in Berlin.... Liberals are always looking for a free be here and there...lol

PS I like how the media fails to mention these free concerts as a tactic to get people to hear him...

August 8, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. Rose

P, CA

I found your comments to be salient and I agree with you about the MSM. I too wonder why McCain's military screw-ups (USS Forrestal fire he started; 4 planes crashed) and the Keating 5 scandal have been ignored by the media. I only hope that Obama is holding these as his trump cards.

August 8, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  23. Snerdboy says

Rush and I are having a tupperware sale for McCain.

August 8, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  24. Kevin-Seattle

Are McCain's acceptance speech.....the odds out of Vegas that the over/under is set at 65 of how many times McCain says "my friends"

August 8, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |