August 8th, 2008

Tickets for Obama's convention speech sold out

Obama will accept his party's nomination at Invesco field.
Obama will accept his party's nomination at Invesco field.

(CNN)– Tickets for Barack Obama’s Democratic National Convention speech at the Invesco Field in Denver sold out within 24 hours, according to campaign officials.

In early July, convention organizers announced the Illinois senator would officially accept the Democratic nomination at the 75,000 seat stadium rather than a 20,000 seat hall.

According to the Colorado Campaign for Change, the application process closed Thursday afternoon after more than 60,000 seats were snatched up.

Due to unprecedented demand, the campaign has created a waitlist for Coloradans hoping to get a chance to attend the August 28 event.

Obama's largest event to date was in Portland, Oregon, in May, where he drew an estimated crowd of approximately 75,000. He has done at least one previous stadium event, a joint appearance with talk show host Oprah Winfrey at Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina that drew about 29,000 people.

John F. Kennedy accepted the Democratic nomination for president in 1960 at Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, a 92,500-seat stadium in which an estimated 80,000 people gathered for his speech.

1. Bosworth

I'm excited!!! I can hardly wait! The coverage will capture some film and pictures that will rival Leni Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will."

Anoint Obama 08.

August 8, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. smokesignals

They are not for sale.
    Application process is closed.
    Hope I get mine.

August 8, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Laura

I can see it now....hundred and hundreds of Hillary's supporters chanting HILLARY all the while Obama speaks. That would be totally wild....!

You PUMA's who are going to be there...what are your plans?

I will watch boring Barry read his speech off the teleprompter (same as always) if I know some excitement will be sitting in the audience. You know they won't be able to expel all of her supporters.

Laura, Boston

August 8, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. Gary of El Centro, Ca

There was no doubt that Obama could fill the stadium.......McCain could hold his in a phone booth.

August 8, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. gl

So what do the McShame and their camp have to say about this one. I can not wait for all their lies start up again!

August 8, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  6. blue

Does this mean Barry [Obama[ Soetoro didn't have to pay off attendees with a Free Concert and Free Food and Free Beer and Wine before him taking the stage this time? lmao

Wow. Thank goodness the party leaders and delegates and loyalists were going to be there for the announcing of the OFFICIAL Democratic nominee and Barry didn't have to pay more folks off. He should be running out of money with the way he spends it. OH WAIT, all those donations for endorsements, 18 K, 11.5 K, etc to each Congressman came from his Hope Fund, so people couldn't claim his campaign was buying people. LMAO!

August 8, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. NEVEROBAMA

So what!!!!

All he can do is give good speeches!

We need a true leader!

Mccain 08'

August 8, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. proud army and navy mom

The tickets were free, but you had to show you had the ability to get there if you are a out-of-towner (ID, air ticket and hotel room receipts).

They didn't want some idiot sellig them on ebay, that why proof was needed. They wanted everyone who wanted to come to be able to, that is why they were free.

August 8, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  9. Vickie, Maryland

Just goes to show that the polls are not an adequate reflection of the people. I and any of my friends or family have yet to be polled. Any of you get polled yet? Doubt it. They're just giving and polling barely 600 people, suposively at random. But my guess is that it's all a crock. the News stations, etc. want it to appear as if it is a close race so that we'll stay tunned in and keep their ratings up.

August 8, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. Obama supporter: When is it McCain's turn for Scutiny?

My understanding is that the tickets were free..."sold out" is the wrong headline as usual...

Poll numbers like they didn't matter in the primaries; it's electoral votes just like it was delegates...PUMA people need to go back and study about how American elections work...

August 8, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  11. Stephanie, Maryland

Those who supports Obama, wants a change. We are tired of bush/cheney/mccain/gop by laws. The loss of jobs by the thousands, rising fuel cost, health plans out of control, hard working citizens lossing their homes, public schools in mayhem. Hopefully this party will do it's best for the american people. With the attendances of 75 thousands, we certainly need a change in leadership.

August 8, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  12. BudInTexas

75,000 people, hah!

"My friends", I plan to speak loud enough to wake up the people at my convention. I may even throw in a lie or two (he he, "thumbs up").

I may be old and boring, and maybe even a little stupid; but I can come up with more one word solutions for our problems than anybody (scary grin........)

August 8, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  13. Peggy - TX

The 42 PUMA rebugs who say they are going to attend need to tread lightly in that stadium as the 74,958 Obama supporters who will attend may not be as congenial as Obama to a traitor in their mist.

August 8, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. Barack Obama is Our 44th president! YES WE CAN !

The United States' 44th president – Mr. Barack Obama – will officially accept the Democratic Presidential Nomination that will lead him to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Oh my what an enjoyable time !

It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time to elect Barack Obama for president !

Isaiah 54:17 (King James Version)
    No weapon that is formed against [ Barack obama, his campaign, his presidency, his family ] thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against [ Barack obama, his campaign, his presidency, his family ] thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Amen.

August 8, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. Done with Dems

Chester Drawers:
    McCain's acceptance speech will be in front of 50 rabid AARP members at the Golden Corral.

You made me laugh so hard I cried! Hillarious.

McCain/08

August 8, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. Voter

I guess Charleton Heston will be making a comeback.

This is exactly how Adolph Hitler came to power in a free, democratic (Democratic???) election.

August 8, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  17. gl

THE MAIN REASON OBAMA POLLS ARE NOT UP IS BECASUE OF HILLIARY AND SOME OF HER SUPPORTERS THAT ARE HOLDING OUT BECASUE HILLIARY STILL THINKS SHE IS THE WIN THE NOM!
    Remember her base is uneducated white women and you have to give them time to figure out the Hilliary have lost.

August 8, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. wanda a.

hey debbie, WHAT'S FUNNY IS THAT MCSHAME WHO HAS BEEN IN WASHINGTON FOR 30+ YRS. IS NOT LEADING PRESIDEN BARACK OBAMA, NOW GO FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 8, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  19. Debby

Dear Shari, its August and its about 2 weeks to the DNC convention and a little over 2 months to the election yes polls matter now being so close. Obama can't get a double digit lead on McCain now how will he do it in 2 months with all their issues proposed to us already????????? The undecided might not take a chance with Obama and they are the ones who will elect the next President not the die hard Obama supporters who will vote for him anyway.

August 8, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. Texas Trail Dog!

I WONDER HOW MANY WILL BE UNDERNEATH THE STANDS MOUTHING FOUR LETTER WORDS.

August 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. Laura

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

CNN why do all my comments need to await moderation. I am not using foul or obscene language.

August 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. Scott L

Which musicians did they book!!!???? that is the only reason people will be going...free concert and tons of booze...duh

August 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  23. Denise W

I cant believe people still vote for Nadar. The guy is washed up. Your vote for Nader is meaningless. You might as well not vote. Evren voting for Bob Barr makes much more sense than Nader.

August 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. aware

Enjoy it Rock Star! This last stand will give you an entré into show business!

You will never be president. :)

August 8, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  25. Peggy - TX

RE: LOVE MY USA, I like the scorpion and the frog tale, It is about lime the American people wake up to the fact that the Rebugs will lie to get 51.001% of the vote and then act against the interest of the vast majority of Americans.

I have read your cute play on words before and I sincerely hope that by the time you finish high school that you actually take some time to read a little about current events before you blast your silly comments over the Internet.

August 8, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |