August 8th, 2008

Tickets for Obama's convention speech sold out

Obama will accept his party's nomination at Invesco field.
Obama will accept his party's nomination at Invesco field.

(CNN)– Tickets for Barack Obama’s Democratic National Convention speech at the Invesco Field in Denver sold out within 24 hours, according to campaign officials.

In early July, convention organizers announced the Illinois senator would officially accept the Democratic nomination at the 75,000 seat stadium rather than a 20,000 seat hall.

According to the Colorado Campaign for Change, the application process closed Thursday afternoon after more than 60,000 seats were snatched up.

Due to unprecedented demand, the campaign has created a waitlist for Coloradans hoping to get a chance to attend the August 28 event.

Obama's largest event to date was in Portland, Oregon, in May, where he drew an estimated crowd of approximately 75,000. He has done at least one previous stadium event, a joint appearance with talk show host Oprah Winfrey at Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina that drew about 29,000 people.

John F. Kennedy accepted the Democratic nomination for president in 1960 at Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, a 92,500-seat stadium in which an estimated 80,000 people gathered for his speech.

1. FLA Voter

There will probably be over 100K people in there. Be careful Dumocrats who are in the front...you might get bum rushed by the star struck "fans" of "The One".

I can hardly beleive he will be live in concert...oh I mean live giving a speech to all the world to see.

August 8, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. LS

LOL @ Len in Washington :o})

August 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  3. millioner lady

can he TALK WITHOUT teleprompters.. just because oprah creation him

August 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Didine - Maryland

Wow!!!!!!! Congratulation Senator Barack Obama for bringing so much excitement in this campaign. Everybody wants to see you and you are truely a gift from God. We are all proud of you and wish you well. May God continue to bless you and your family!

August 8, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  5. TAMICKA,PHILLY,PA

MCSHAME NEVER OBAMA FOREVER
    OBAMA2008

August 8, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. Dusty

I love the Decembrists, but they're not a band that can pull in 75,000 people on their own. They play that area all the time in much smaller venues. The band's appearance, which apparently wasn't well-advertised ahead of time, wasn't responsible for the turnout. Nor was the fact that it was a sunny day and people hang out on the waterfront all the time. I mean, I'm sure they do, but not 75,000 people. 75,000 came to see Barack Obama. If it had been raining, it probably would have been less, but, still. They came to see Obama. The warmup act was a bonus.

And the Oregon crowd wasn't Obama's largest event to date. The 200,000 in Berlin was. The story should clarify that it's his largest event in America or largest campaign event to date.

August 8, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  7. Lesley

I hope that the American public can sift through the hate coming out of McCain's camp and see McCain for what he really is – a fearmongering, hateful, lying, grasping shell of a man who is selling his soul to get to the White House. And for those of you who believe in the Bible, do you actually read the Bible? Or do you just repeat what you hear. I agree completely with P, CA. Especially about vetting McCain this time around. He's at the end of his career and not fit for the job of President now. All the mudslinging should be a wake up call for people but apparently they take it as fact. Please check your facts people and don't listen to the hype or the headlines. You'll be doing us all a big favor.

August 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Richard Moore

I called Wed. afternoon late, just after the info. came out, and gave them my information. So maybe I'm on the list. I sure hope so. I've already got hotel rooms booked.

August 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. Raymond Duke

Of course it is sold out. Same old stunt that he did during the caucauses . He sends out his surrgoates who give all these welfare receipents and college kids money to purchase the tickets and then will provide free transportation. Why do you think he could win more caucauses then he could state elections where people had to come out and vote. The answer is quite simple. His people went out on the streets and into the poor parts of towns and the colleges and gave them money to attend these caucauses. Of course the welfare people came because it was easy money, didn't have to work, the strret people and panhandlers came for the same reason. As far as the college kids , the far left liberals came probably on their own screwed up accord and the rest came to get out of school and to drugs and party. You can have all these large groups that you want to try showboating and with the medias help try to portray to the american people that you are the great one but it won't fly that is the reason he will not win the general election.

August 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. Chalice

I am hoping that the PUMA's and related groups who all so NOBAMA have clusters of seats together for our protest.

Obama is a loser. He is not ready to lead!

August 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. WOLF

he attracted 215,000 people in berlin!

August 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. cas

Maybe the seats were sold to republicans who won't show up and the staduim will end up empty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  13. Garry

AS A YELLOW DOG DEMOCRAT WHO "used to believe" in the DNC, you couldn't pay me to attend this stupid convention. I am ashamed of the DNC and I am even more ashamed of those who support this wolf in sheeps clothing!
    You people will support whom-ever the DNC "selects".
    Some of us see thru this guise of deciet and distrust and lies.
    Too bad....
    Go ahead, elect him and see what a mess he makes...wonder where his radical friends will fit in, hmmnnn where will Racist Wright be? I mean "Rev" Wright...

August 8, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. Salina, Washington, DC

I'm bumbed I won't be there. Its going to be an historical event! God bless Obama and his family. I was waiting for the tickets to be available, I didn't know they were on sale. Dang!! Its going to be a fabulous event!! WOW!!!!

Obama '08/'12

August 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. Latina for Obama

I wish I could be there!!!!

history in the making!!!! GO OBAMA GO!!!!!

August 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. johnny

LOVE MY USA

Your screed is long on hyperbole, but devoid of facts

Congratulations on learning how to cut and paste though

August 8, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. Deb, Allentown, PA

Clinton/McCain August 8th, 2008 12:36 pm ET

The bias continues…

"Obama's largest event to date was in Portland, Oregon, in May, where he drew an estimated crowd of approximately 75,000."

He made a campaign stop where a free rock concert was being performed by a well known band. Obama did not attract 75,000 people.

**********

To Clinton/McCain...

You know, I like The Decemberists myself, but if you believe that 75,000 people showed up in Oregon for a concert by THAT band, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you.

August 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  18. Small Minded People are Risky

Julie August 8th, 2008 12:49 pm ET said: Makes me believe even more related to the TIME article, that maybe for those of us who believe in the Bible, that Obama is the antichrist. Pretty sure CNN won't allow this comment but there are millions more like me who think the same way.

First of all ANYONE who thinks that is an idiot. Now, I try hard not to name call but if you SERIOUSLY believe Obama is the Anti-Christ, you're an idiot. You can believe he's a Muslim (which is borderline), you can believe he's a socialist (still on the fence of idiocy), but to say he is the actual Devil... you have to be kidding me. I do not believe there are millions out there who believe that because most of us have common sense. Are these the same people who say he's a Muslim and he hates white people? It seems to be the same gene pool.

August 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. jo

that is the sadest news ever. I have been waiting for the announcement. I will be 75001 outside the stadium. I have taken a day off already.

August 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Timothy

the American People want change some of us our tried of the Lying and Corrupt Republicans and if John Mccain is elected we will be sorry because Mccain is the same as Bush and his corruptions.

August 8, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Democrat

I got my ticket a total of 100 ppl are coming with me as well !!! Wohooo Here we go Obama to support you %100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 8, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  22. S. Melville

Change is coming to the United States of America in 2008. The polls would be a landslide to the shock of many. Many people's heart would fail them at the results of this election.

Watch it. I told you so! (smile)

August 8, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Gloria

Julie,

I believe in the Bible. I believe that the original Scripture is without error. Your comment sounds as if you have not read it yourself to understand the character of the Anti-Christ or his timing on the earth. I suggest that you, yourself, read it allowing the Holy Spirit to reveal to you 'the' truth and cease being used by the enemy of your soul to instil fear in others like yourself who depend on others to interpret its meaning .

August 8, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  24. LLM from MD

HATERS, HATERS, HATERS.....way to go obama '08. I would give anything to be in attendance.

August 8, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |