August 10th, 2008

Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama get prime time spots

Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama are slated to speak at the Democratic convention.

(CNN) – The Democratic National Convention announced its “headline” speakers Sunday, with Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama each getting a starring role in prime time.

As CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux and Candy Crowley reported last month, Clinton will speak on Tuesday night. That day, August 26th, will be the 88th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

A statement from the convention called Clinton a “champion for working families and one of the most effective and empathetic voices in the country today.”

Michelle Obama will address the convention in the headline spot on Monday night.

Wednesday night will feature a speech from Barack Obama’s still unnamed running mate. Former president Bill Clinton will also speak that night.

Obama will accept the party’s nomination Thursday night, delivering his acceptance speech away from the convention hall at the larger Invesco Field at Mile High. Sixty-thousand tickets for his speech were given away the first day they were made available. His speech, on August 28th, comes on the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

The announcement only gives the final speakers of each night. A spokesman tells CNN a keynote speaker will be named in the coming days.

Convention co-chair Kathleen Seleblius said in a statement, “We are at a critical moment in our nation’s history. The politics and policies that have divided us will not allow us to achieve the change we need. Barack Obama is a leader to move America in a new direction and bring us together to turn moments of great challenge into moments of great opportunity. This year’s Democratic Convention is the story of people from across the country who believe it is time for change.”

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. seah

Do you think Michelle will finally be All Proud?

August 10, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. Debby, NJ

Michelle will be an outstanding speaker !!!
    BARACK THE VOTE !!!

August 10, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. Alejandro

Why Michelle is going to speak in the Convention BEFORE that Hillary Rodham Clinton......The first and most famous woman in this country.
    I would like Hillary will be the next Presiden of USA....and I hope she
    will be respected at the Convention.....She has millions of supporters,
    and she won all the swing states except Illinois.......
    The Press and the DNC didn't give her what she deserved.......its a shame.

August 10, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  4. Fredrick-London

I wonder why Americans get confused! every mistake u make, u put the entire world to suffer!
    U picked Bush in 2000 when 100% u knew he was UNFIT To govern!! Again in 2004 u brought him back!! See how he has messed-up yr country and what the entire world's suffering!!!
    Its Bush's POOR Administration that has brought about all this chaos!

McBush's again playing/fooling you around, i know many dont want say it openly, but democratic's choice-Obama being African-American is Repblican advantage Again!! That hate's pushing America further into the grave!
    McBush's laughing! he's taking a big stake even from the low-minded democratics!
    I know the Clintons very well, they're doing their best but the die-hearts mis judge Obama and its VERY VERY LIKELY U've given away the whitehouse to the repblican again which u're to regret!
    Plz we'v suffered enough, if u dont feel it, its unfortinate, but listen to the world's Out-cry!!!
    Obama's far far better than McBush in EVERYTHIG Plz

August 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. Desmond Sequeira

UNITY PLEASE, ALL THROUGH! GO, DEMS GO!

August 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. Sherry, Atlanta

IT SHALL BE, A GRAND AFFAIR!

August 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. Joe from Germany

I pray that the Americans get it right this time around.Mccain victory is a victory for Bush.

August 10, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. julie johnson

I think it is superb that Hillary's speech coincides with the 88th anniversary of Women's right to vote. And, then Obama being able to speak on the 45th anniversary of Dr Martin Luther Kings "I have a Dream" speech is just icing on the cake. Whether Obama wins or loses this will be a campaign to remember for a very long time.

My very best wishes for all the Democrats and Republicans, too! We need a change in Washington and I just hope it's the right change that we get.

August 10, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. MK LA

So I guess this means Hillary is definitely off the "short" list of VP's ? disappointing

August 10, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  10. What if?

Dear CNN,

I think the news is being very unfair to Obama, if I'm not mistaken Bill Clinton was in the news every chance he was given....and that was morning, noon and night.....now it’s Hillary……He also had few years of experience that seem to be overlooked by the news media.

When are you going to have a poll on how many voters are sick of SEEING Clinton, whom by the way isn't our winning NOMINEE?

I would like to see if you have the guts to list my comment……..I look forward to voting SOON.

August 10, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. no name

I THINK MICHELLE AND HILLARY SHOULD GO ON STAGE TOGETHER AND SHOW THEIR SUPPORT FOR ONE ANOTHER. THEY ARE BOTH WOMEN SO LETS SEE THEM STICK TOGETHER AS IF THEY ARE SISTERS.

August 10, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. PUMA-Jessie

My goodness gracious! All this to go down to defeat in November. He is a serial flip flopper, with little or no subtances. Obama will lose all the southern and border states, all of the normal red states( he is now losing Florida by six points ands Missouri by 7 points. If that holds and it should, all McCain has to do is win one of the following: Michigan, Ohio. Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

August 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  13. Clinton/McCain

"Convention co-chair Kathleen Seleblius said in a statement, “We are at a critical moment in our nation’s history. The politics and policies that have divided us will not allow us to achieve the change we need. "

Hmm, playing the race card and accusing McCain and the Republicans as being racist isn't dividing????? Please, this guy is a divider not a uniter.

This 29 year old PhD candidate and his 60+ year old parents from PA refuse to vote for Obama the fraud.

Here's hoping Hillary accepts the nomination at the convention.

August 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  14. Susan

I cannnot wait to see and hear these speeches. It will be a great night for women everywhere!

August 10, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  15. Corwin7

Who in the hell decided that Michelle Obama qualified to speak at the democratic convention??? What the hell is THAT about? Maybe Barak would like to have his preacher there to give us a "Hate White America" speach too...GOD how did we get saddled with this idiot.

August 10, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  16. NG in DC

What the heck do we need to hear from Michelle Obama for ... her plans for WHAT ???... being proud of her country after her husband did everything in the book to prevent Michigan and Florida from voting and stealing the election from Hillary Clinton.

August 10, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. Kevin

As he will be the first Black Democratic candidate for President he had better have the good grace to give his VP slot to Hillary making her the first possible female Vice President in history. I'm not a fan of Obama at all but he would redeem himself a great deal if he would do this. He should have announced it months back instead of going through all this insulting vetting process considering she came a close second and even that is debatable condsidering the dubious way the Caucus elections were held. Have the good grace senator.

August 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  18. Allan

Again bla,bla,bla,bla and nothing else. If not HRC- my family go for McCain.

August 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. Chris from Indy

I'd prefer that Hillary give a speech on Wednesday night as Obama's running mate, but apparently that isn't going to be the case. I may not vote this year as I'm truly not happy with my voices for President.

August 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  20. aware

Why Michelle?

She has been nothing but trouble! Oh, that's a good thing!

Mccain 08! :)

August 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  21. aware

Why Michelle?

She has been nothing but trouble! Oh, that's a good thing!

McCain 08! :)

August 10, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  22. Danny

The VP Choice better be a well thought out one or we may have some problems here. Obama better not mess this one up.......

August 10, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  23. Priscilla

I love the Obama. They will be great leaders in our nation.

Yes We Can!!!

August 10, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. Doris,Memphis,TN

What a historical week this will be. Dr. King's is smiling from above.
    If the democrats are truly unified, they can not be stopped.

August 10, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  25. barb

I don't like to appear divisive but Im having a really difficult time believing the Clintons are sincerely going to bat for Obama. From what I've heard, they have soemthing up their sleeves, like a few lies [erhaps. I haven't had time to find out what. I'm just hoping for no eefects.
    It bothers the heck out of me that people may make up their mind on the election based on McCain's ads or the Clintons claims. Sadly none of these are honest.

August 10, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |