August 10th, 2008

Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama get prime time spots

Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama are slated to speak at the Democratic convention.

(CNN) – The Democratic National Convention announced its “headline” speakers Sunday, with Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama each getting a starring role in prime time.

As CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux and Candy Crowley reported last month, Clinton will speak on Tuesday night. That day, August 26th, will be the 88th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

A statement from the convention called Clinton a “champion for working families and one of the most effective and empathetic voices in the country today.”

Michelle Obama will address the convention in the headline spot on Monday night.

Wednesday night will feature a speech from Barack Obama’s still unnamed running mate. Former president Bill Clinton will also speak that night.

Obama will accept the party’s nomination Thursday night, delivering his acceptance speech away from the convention hall at the larger Invesco Field at Mile High. Sixty-thousand tickets for his speech were given away the first day they were made available. His speech, on August 28th, comes on the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

The announcement only gives the final speakers of each night. A spokesman tells CNN a keynote speaker will be named in the coming days.

Convention co-chair Kathleen Seleblius said in a statement, “We are at a critical moment in our nation’s history. The politics and policies that have divided us will not allow us to achieve the change we need. Barack Obama is a leader to move America in a new direction and bring us together to turn moments of great challenge into moments of great opportunity. This year’s Democratic Convention is the story of people from across the country who believe it is time for change.”

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. susie

All of a sudden, all the Democrats that threw Hillary under the bus now saids how wonderful she is. Amazing.

August 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obama is our hope to lead our nation into the 21st century which is vitally important to our future and the future of our children. John McCain doesn't understand there is more than one war our nation faces and that is the war on technology and our economy both of which McCain knows nothing about. McCain is not best fit to keep our nation safe while we are imploding everyday from Bush policies which McCain is part of and undoubtedly will continue. Obama is our future to save ourselves by taking back our government. Support Obama.

August 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  3. Texas

I'm a Hillary Clinton supporter. If she is not the VP...I will vote for McCain. It is amazing to me that the democratic party would think that we would all unite in some "cumbaya deal"...
    ...the only way at this pt. that I would vote for Obama is if Hillary is on the ticket....

August 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  4. jimmie brenner

Talk about a smooth move! MICHELLE IN THE PRIME SLOT. YOU GO GIRL. (for the record........I'm an older white grandma.

JB from WA

August 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  5. SENIORS 08

GO HILARY AND MICHELLE! AMERICA NEEDS YOUR HELP WITH THE RIGHT WING REPUBLICANS DOMINATING THE SUPREME COURT AND BLOCKING WOMENS RIGHTS.

OBAMA 08

August 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. Dr. June Dobbs Butts

When I was only eight years old when American women won the right to vote. I didn't understand why my parents were so excited.

I grew up in the heart of southern segregation, however, I had a politically activist father, John Wesley Dobbs. He taught us that the power of the ballot lay in correcting many of the inequalities that
    suppressed minorities and poor people. My Dad worked for voter registration in the 1940's and 1950's, laying the foundation for my nephew, Maynard Jackson, to become the first Black mayor of a major southern city – Atlanta, GA! .

Thus, I've learned from my family that the price of liberty is eternal vigilance. And now, at age 80, how do I spend my time? Well, today I went to a meeting of OBAMA FOR AMERICA! He's OUR FUTURE!

August 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  7. Hillary supporter

we need democrats back in the White House we are tired .

August 10, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  8. Maritza

It will be great to see both of them and I cannot wait for till November so that I can vote for Mr. Obama. There is hope in the air.

August 10, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  9. Jaime in Texas

Michelle Obama? This is a joke right?

August 10, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  10. Melinda

It starting to look like a bunch of collective desception.

Let me guess MIchelle: will now be pround of America
    Hillary will now claim: Obama is capable of answering a phone
    Oh blah blah will: appreciate the work Clinton did for Bill 4 Blacks

The Democrats are starting to look like the bitter people of society, the media over hyped the situation and people are starting to get turned off as the whole thing looks phoney.

I wonder what Bill and Hillary negotiated to do this dog and pony show.

I was excited before but now I am starting to get turned off.

August 10, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  11. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

Who is Michelle Obama to presume such a prominent role at the convention?

Hillary Clinton has earned her place at the convention, in fact I believe she has earned the nomination!

Just another reason NOT to vote for Obama...this is a twofer we can do without.

August 10, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  12. Willy

Maybe they can sing Ebony and Ivory together.

August 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  13. Rob indetroit

HRC has something up her sleeve ,i don't trust her.

August 10, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  14. k

Oh Geez, the writing is on the wall...Menacing Michelle will be running for the nomination in 2016...

August 10, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  15. tushyadev jadunundun

awesome...Hopefully all wounds will be healed, the democratic party united and everyone jump on board..let's make history and send claim back the white house...

August 10, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  16. WOW

Sounds like its going to be a real party

August 10, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  17. Sue - Believe in Liars ???

Sounds like the Liars club
    Bill never had sex with that woman, Hillary landed under sniper fire, Obama wasn't referring to race on the dollar bill, Edwards never had an affair.

All these Liars kind of makes it hard to believe any of these people, who are all after their own personal interests.

What else are they lying about, but don't worry the wilfully blind will clap for long periods of time like trained seals.

August 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Nora

I don't think Michelle Obama should speak. If I vote for Obama, I'm voting for him, not her. I'd rather that this time slot be given to Senator Bill Nelson (FL) or Senator Barbara Boxer (CA).

August 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. C Willie

Hillary deserves more than a prime time night spot- she deserved the nomination!!!!! The only way Obama gets in is if he picks Hillary as his running mate– it's a no brainer. Hopefully Bill is speaking on Wednesday night to introduce his wife as VP nominee.

August 10, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. maurice

Yeah lets give a woman who has been ashamed to be
    an american the keys to the white house.

August 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  21. Voter

Who wants to hear from Michelle Obama? I bet they're working overtime on a make over!

August 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. rachel

All fine and good. I am a big Hillary supporter please don't make this post hate full of hate for Hillary or hate for Michelle.

August 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  23. Ken, LA California

We all have pleasnt dreams that Obama and Michelle will be in Whites house and will help lead our great country to more prosperity, God Bless America, God Protect Obama and his family.

August 10, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. C from Texas

"Sixty-thousand tickets for his speech were given away the first day they were made available."

----------------------------------

Funny the first report said the tickets were SOLD in what two hours, now the truth comes out. Obama the man of twists and turns, or would that be the media?

McCain '08

August 10, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  25. ree

I will be watching for Sen. Clinton's speech but don't think I will tune in for M. Obama's speech.

What is she going to say that now she is proud to be American and she really is not a racist. I just can't picture her first lady.

The Obama's are just not doing anything to make me vote for him. I don't think his or her speech will change my mind.

August 10, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |