August 10th, 2008

Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama get prime time spots

Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama are slated to speak at the Democratic convention.

(CNN) – The Democratic National Convention announced its “headline” speakers Sunday, with Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama each getting a starring role in prime time.

As CNN’s Suzanne Malveaux and Candy Crowley reported last month, Clinton will speak on Tuesday night. That day, August 26th, will be the 88th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.

A statement from the convention called Clinton a “champion for working families and one of the most effective and empathetic voices in the country today.”

Michelle Obama will address the convention in the headline spot on Monday night.

Wednesday night will feature a speech from Barack Obama’s still unnamed running mate. Former president Bill Clinton will also speak that night.

Obama will accept the party’s nomination Thursday night, delivering his acceptance speech away from the convention hall at the larger Invesco Field at Mile High. Sixty-thousand tickets for his speech were given away the first day they were made available. His speech, on August 28th, comes on the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

The announcement only gives the final speakers of each night. A spokesman tells CNN a keynote speaker will be named in the coming days.

Convention co-chair Kathleen Seleblius said in a statement, “We are at a critical moment in our nation’s history. The politics and policies that have divided us will not allow us to achieve the change we need. Barack Obama is a leader to move America in a new direction and bring us together to turn moments of great challenge into moments of great opportunity. This year’s Democratic Convention is the story of people from across the country who believe it is time for change.”

Filed under: Extra • Hillary Clinton • Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Jodi

If he would choose Hillary as his running mate the general public would vote for him, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
    Who gives a %$#% if we have Bill helping out, Obama needs all the help he can get, why? He really isn't ready and his past decision making process isn't impressing me either.

Everyone I've talked to is voting McCain or not voting. Not sure who is doing all the polling, but mine is completely random via chat rooms, game rooms, and strangers I meet at parties.

I am completely undecided. Personally I have a gnawing feeling in my gut with Obama that I can't put my finger on (and no, it has absolutely nothing with race) and I'm completely against McCain's social views.

I'm beginning to think there is no party that truly represents a very large segment of voters who are fiscal republicans and social democrats.

OBAMA choose Hillary, begin oil production off-shore, stop large companies from outsourcing jobs overseas, and grow some balls... we are all in for a very bumpy ride and you"ll need to make some difficult decisions, which worries me.

August 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. Evette

Finally this is good news..there's nothing better than seeing women working together instead of bickering....kudos to them

August 10, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  3. gary

HILLARY BACK AWAY. YOU TOOK ENOUGH HATE ALONG WITH YOUR SUPPORTERS AND FAMILY THROUGH THIS RACE. LET THEM FALL ON THEIR OWN. O.B. SWIFTBOATED YOU OUT OF THE RACE WITH DNC,S.DELIGATES ETC. PUT YOUR NAME IN AT THE CONVENTION. AMERICA NEEDS YOU WETHER THEY WANT TO BELIEVE IOT OR NOT.

August 10, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  4. Shannon

are we electing Michelle Obama to something. I hadn't heard, how arrogant of this woman to take center stage. As a Democrat, I feel this woman and her militant ideas aren't for me. I'll certainly be voting elsewhere on election day. We have great democrats, leaders of our party who could speak. This woman, who is now only proud to be an American, hasn't been elected to anything. She doesn't represent me, and neither does her husband.

August 10, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  5. obama is the most dangerous man alive

Oh Hillary, I hate to see you and Bill make this big mistake of speaking up for this clown. What are you going to say about supporting him when he bankrupts the country? Bring us together ?????????? do you see how divided he's made us already? He wants to deliver this country to the far left liberals in this country who surely mean to do harm to America. His energy plan is really a "fairy tale". It's a joke! This man is a joke! In your heart I believe you know this guy is a liar and doesn't have a clue as to how to run a country. He is a fool with puppet strings.And his wife,the racist,a starring role, well, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

August 10, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  6. Judy

Of course Senator Obama is making Senator Clinton a "headline speaker". He is in danger of losing her supporters due to his turn around on such topics as seating Mich. and Fl. delegates. Before he "won" the nomination he was against seating these delegates, now he is for seating all of their delegates. No matter what the Obama supportes say Obama does not represent any change; with him it is "business as usually", the same thing they accused Senator Clinton of doing. I believe that the GOP simply could not stand the thought that a woman might be in charge, this is why she will not be chosen as the VP; the 'good ol boys' could not stand it.

August 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  7. kathy

oh please dont let the angry black woman speak , actually i could do without obama too

August 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  8. www.NoClintonNoParty.com

YES WE CAN – WRITE IN CLINTON!

August 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  9. maurice

God bless Ameerica and Obama, the only person who is capable restoring America's repect and moral leadership of the world and behind every great man is a great woman to complement him and that is Michelle.

August 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. Isidoro from Germany

Barack Obama the next US president! Go Barack!

August 10, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  11. Jan

I am sickened by the actions of the DNC and the party that I voted for every election for the past 30 years and I can't believe that Michelle Obama is given a major speaking night, and would you guess the night before Clinton.....Boy oh Boy I hope they don't expect people like me to jump into the Obama camp....Don't trust him, and never will and from what I hear there are so many dems who jumped over to McCain that this news or should I say noise that Obama is ahead in the polls has got to be shear crap. Please.....it is bad enough we have to tolerate Obama as a candidate for president we do not have to vote for him....I am not even blaming him – if the DNC did not do what they did and he had won honestly I would have stayed a democrat and I would have voted for him...but they stole her delegates, they only counted half votes in two states and now that he has the nomination they want to count Florida and Michigan as whole votes what a joke this DNC has turned into and they can call me Independant now...got the registration to prove I went from Dem to Independant and from now on I will vote for who truly is experienced enough for the job. No one will decide the way in which I vote and the convention is just a joke these days.

August 10, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. RJ, CA

What the H-! has Michelle Obama done to deserve a prime spot - on a par with - Hillary Clinton! Just more "warm fuzzies" fairy tale (gag!) for Barack. Michelle doesn't even come remotely close to Hillary's qualifications and service to America. ANOTHER INSULT ORCHESTRATED BY (OBAMA) THE CORRUPT DNC!

August 10, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. Mauri

So far, so good!

August 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  14. nganenu

May God bless Barack and Hilary.
    Nganenu

August 10, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  15. Former democrat

Excellent !! Maybe Michelle can tell us more about how terrible the U.S. is and how much more proud she is of it now that
    Barrack HUSSEIN Obama is running for President !!

Bounce for Mccain coming right up !!

Democrats deserve this because they created it. They are so dumb !!

August 10, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  16. tolu olusoga

Yes,We are waiting for this change.The World is waiting.........For a better Tommorrow...

August 10, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  17. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Good, because hilliary will not get a roll call

August 10, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  18. Diamond from Florida

This convention is going to be so great, its going to highlight the changes that has happended over 50 years in America.

Obama "His speech, on August 28th, comes on the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. "

Hillary "Clinton will speak on Tuesday night. That day, August 26th, will be the 88th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote."

Im proud to be a wonmen and an Obama supporter
    Obama 08

August 10, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. cliff

Good combination, hope the clinton folks vote for Obama so there will be change in America and the world beyond, cos another vote for the republicans is another vote for Mcbush ......

August 10, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  20. Marge Hibbing Mn

Trying to suck up to Hillary and her supporters. Well here's one supporter of Hillary no matter what they say, will never ever ever ever ever vote for obama. I am so glad McKinney entered the race...She's got my vote.

August 10, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. simeon martin

no comment

August 10, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  22. Luke

Hillary for VP, or many stay home on election day.

August 10, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  23. LMC

Why, exactly, does Michelle Obama merit a primetime speaking spot at the convention? What is her political resume? Or are the DNC bigwigs just looking for a chance to debut their new improved Michelle 2.0 who has been carefully coached not to say what she really thinks?

August 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  24. King

I love both of them! Former first lady and future first lady!

August 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  25. OHIO FOR MCCAIN

It's nice to see Obama is allowing Mrs. Clinton to speak at the convention. I'm sure he didn't want to , belive me. If it were up to the Obama's the Clintons would be so far out of it by now. Obama knows he needs Hillary Supports to win. I'm sorry, as many stories have been told that he can win on the African American vote is HOGWASH. I am still a Hillary Supporter for MCCAIN and will be in NOV. The democratic party will regret their choice of this canadite for Years to come.. WEll.... at least the next 4 years.

August 10, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |