August 11th, 2008

New Obama book highlights U.S. agenda

Crown Publishers will release Obama's new book in September.
Crown Publishers will release Obama's new book in September.

(CNN)—Campaign advertisements, campaign stops, how about campaign books?

Crown Publishers, a division of Random House, will publish Barack Obama’s third book September 9 aimed at highlighting the Illinois senator’s plans to re-vamp Washington politics

“Change We Can Believe In: Barack Obama’s Plan to Renew America’s Promise,” will include a foreword written by the presumptive Democratic nominee where he will detail his policy stances and the importance of this election. Members of Obama’s campaign staff also penned chapters detailing the Illinois senators proposals on healthcare, energy, and national security, according to the Associated Press

The book, which will be released in an audio and e-book version on September 8, will also feature a compilation of seven speeches Obama has given throughout the course of his campaign including his address in Berlin and the declaration of his candidacy for president.

Obama’s two previous books, “Audacity of Hope” and “Dreams from My Father” - also published by Crown Publishers - both rose to the top of the bestseller lists with a combined four million-plus copies currently in print.

“We are proud to have published two bestselling books by Barack Obama and are thrilled to have the opportunity to continue to work with his campaign on such an important and inspiring book at this critical moment in our country,” said Crown President Jenny Frost in a statement

The terms of the book were agreed upon by Crown President Jenny Frost and Obama’s literary representative Robert B. Barnett of Williams & Connolly. Barnett , who has represented both Obama and Clinton in their book deals, helped to find a middle ground between the two campaign staffs after Clinton dropped out of the presidential race.

1. KG

Should have been called "How to be a Good Little Socialist – Obama's Ten Step Guide to How to Hate a Capitalist Democracy." I heard the foreward was done by his wife and was entitled "How I Hate America, But Since My Husband is Running for President, I'll Lie to You and Say I Like It."

August 11, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  2. SKS - West Des Moines, IA

Ben...Maybe if he can get us to buy more books, the ignorance people like you are obviously so proud of can be dealt with once and for all. Makes you wonder how smart you and others like you can be if two of the dumbest people in America (Hannity and Rush) are your heroes. Get a book (any book) and read something. You might get some of those dormant neurons fired enough to really become a free thinking human being.

August 11, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. Phil-Texas

For a person who hasn't done much politically and already written 3 books. Sounds like someones trying to make a buck. I hope americans open their eyes and ask some questions on how Obama is going to get the change factor to work. The repuklicans aren't just going to roll over and die. Also the country has been run by big oil and business for so long they have long meat hooks in all politicians or almost all. I hope things can work out but I will believe it when I see it.

August 11, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  4. Annette

McCain and the supporters that support his campaign, are extremely envious of the Obama campaign. They call Obama supporters mindless, to offend. It's pitiful when you have to disguse your own weakness through someone's else strength. That's not the virtue of a leader, that's a follower McCain.

August 11, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  5. Mac

Do we have to pay for this? Shouldn't his agenda be public knowledge if he wants my vote?

August 11, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  6. Young VA man who supports McCain!

It'll really be interesting when I get my hands on this book, since Obama has changed his view on some issues WAY too much. I can finally see what his final views and supports are for once!

PS: Does anyone notice that there are too many spammers on here that support Obama and know nothing about politics, they just like him because everyone dislikes Bush, therefore also the GOP party?

August 11, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  7. Amala

The bulk of this book was already on his website and easily accessible for downloading. This nation has to embrace a new paradigm. To do that, we have to use every tool possible including publishing a book of ideas. What presidential candidate ever wrote every single word they put out either vocally or in text? Even John Kennedy's book was solely authored by him. Obama's first two books were authored by him and this latest book states up front that others also have essays or articles so it is a collaborative effort. Social change takes great leadership on every level and extensive exhaustive collaboration on every level too. I'm glad that he's publishing this book. By whatever peaceful means necessary...it's time to change!

August 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  8. Kevin Cochrane

I think this is disgusting that he is personally going to profit from running his own election campaign.

Unless he donates 100% of all profits to charity, he has completely lost my vote.

I am shocked and dismayed by this blatant money-making move. Why not just publish everything in the book on a blog? Why make us pay for his views when they are so critical to the decision the country must make?

What about those of us who are unemployed and can't AFFORD to buy the book in the first place?

Wow, I am so entirely disallusioned. Obama, you lost me entirely.

August 11, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. Amala

I meant to say even John Kennedy's book was NOT solely written by him so far as I recall. I did some research about it and that's what I remember reading. In any case, that's not the main point.

America is diverse, we have all economic, ethnic, educational and wisdom levels. Let's bring out the best that is America!

Obama '08!

August 11, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. Cynthia

I think it is a new and fresh idea to put him plan in writing. Everyone isn't always watching tv or reading the paper which sometimes give their own slant as to what they candidate is saying. John McCain doesn't need to write a book – all you have to do is look and what President Bush has done and substract 5% of it and you will have his plan since he agreed with President Bush 95% of the time.

August 11, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. Joe Kiloz

People, give it the same respect OJ Simpson got with the infamous "I'm going to tell you the truth."

This guy is not and will never be an MLK or JFK.

Name me 5 pieces of major legislation that Mr. Obama originated and successfully got enacted in a Democratic majority controlled Congress in the last two years !!

I DARE YOU , I DARE YOU !

August 11, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  12. The Independent One

this is nice. Maybe in the book he'll explain his flopping on NAFTA and FISA. FISA is the American government's middle finger to our fourth amendment, and NAFTA deports too many jobs overseas. I would be much less angry with Obama if he didn't have a decidedly different stance today on these issues then he did earlier this year. I think the republican "revisions" to FISA were shallow at best. Obama seems to be moving too much to the center for my taste. It's good to have bipartisan appeal but not at the expense of core principles cited merely months earlier. I am really starting to think that Obama is much more of a diplomat then an actual leader. That's better than McCain, a corporate pushover like Bush, but it's not the Obama that inspired me in the primaries. I saw in Obama this wonderful "stick it to Washington" attitude that I thought was so refreshing. That crisp breeze was later destroyed the his BS posturing ever since he won the democratic nomination. I am really dissappointd with Obama but, alas, I have no other choice. I was going to vote Bob Barr, but then I saw him on Glenn Beck saying that global warming is a myth. That sort of naive and even retarded ignorance of the state of our environment makes it impossible for me to vote for him. Even McCain himself acknowlegdes "climate change" which is the new politically correct form of global warming. Whatever you want to term it, its the holes in the ozone on the poles that are melting the icecaps and negatively affecting the climate. The fact that this is happening is beyond dispute to everyone but silly scientists lobbying for oil companies. Anyone can argue that global warming doesn't exist like anyone can argue that 1+1 doesn't equal 2. Just shows how naive they are. And as for the green party candidate, well she obviously doesn't stand a chance, and the media has not even given her any knd of platform where i could make a judgement on her compotence or stances. So Obama it is, for better or worse.

August 11, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  13. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

"but can't articulate anything on the campaign trail."

ummm, you do realize that the intelligent, articulate candidate is that YOUNG guy, not the OLD guy, right?????

too bad the idiots who need to read this the most dont read books; unless it's on FOX or rush they dont know it exists.

August 11, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. Errata

Obama is actually putting his positions in a print/audio book? How can that be when he flips on his positions every day depending to whom he is speaking? Or is the book going to be so nuanced as to really not say anything?

August 11, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  15. KenM

Obama made a lot of money with his last book...that book made more money than his wife 'n' him combined over the last five years...Obama is becoming rich 'n' famous doing this campaign....it doesn't matter if he wins or loses this fall.......he's already made suckers out of the lemmings........he doesn't have to worry 'bout a mortgage or the price of gas.......he's set for life with this campaign

August 11, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. souza

I think people should take the time to read a book that is unbiased about Obama. I would suggest " The Obama Nation" Written by a senior reporter that is not a registered Republican or Democrat.
    Obama is not Presidential Material and flip flops as it benefits him.

August 11, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

"or simply line his pockets?" and this is bad why???? since when is there something wrong with a person being paid for their time and skills???? as long as they arent a criminal making money off their crime or victim, everyone is paid for their work, including republican scuzzballs like hannity and rush, too. you repugs are so hard ot figure out, like your heroes you dont want to let anyone take any of your hard-earned money, but there's something wrong with obama keeping the money. at least we know some of it will go to charity, etc..., which is a lot more than can be said for the righty pigs!

August 11, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Linda from Prescott AZ

Isn't it sad how ugly some of these comments are?

August 11, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. tren

This guy is unstoppable! He is going to win on soo many levels come November. What else is up his sleeve?..........................CNN, please post, yall keep shuttin me out.

August 11, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  20. Obama 2008

Just so you all know the profits from this book will be donated to charity.

August 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |