August 11th, 2008

Obama to announce VP via text, e-mail

Obama's VP choice will be announced via text messaging.
Obama's VP choice will be announced via text messaging.

(CNN) - It used to be that a presidential candidate announced his running mate at a carefully staged rally in a crucial swing state designed to boost buzz for the ticket and maximize media coverage.

But in a presidential cycle where so many of the conventional rules no longer appear applicable, Barack Obama's campaign said Sunday the Democratic VP choice will be revealed via e-mail and text messages to supporters.

"Barack Obama is about to make one of the most important decisions of this campaign - choosing a running mate," Obama campaign manager David Plouffe wrote in an e-mail to supporters Sunday night. "You have helped build this movement from the bottom up, and Barack wants you to be the first to know his choice."

Plouffe's e-mail is sure to raise speculation a running mate announcement could be imminent, even as Obama vacations in Hawaii and the Olympic Games reach full swing in Beijing. Most political observers had expected Illinois senator to announce his VP choice after the Olympics, ended in the small window before the Democratic convention.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Perplexed

I think Obama goes out of his way to exclude and downplay the importance of older voters. What am I saying, someone who can walk on water doesn't need the largest most reliable voting block to come out for him.

August 11, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. bj

This is news???

August 11, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. Val, Atlanta, Ga

I have signed up I think that is a brilliant idea, those that don't agree with what he's doing are McCain supporters and they are really too old to understand e-mail and computers like him nor do they want change so they might as well get use to it, It's a new sheriff in town.

Obama/08

August 11, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. Adama

This shows Sen. Obama's readiness for issues facing the world in this century as opposed to Sen. Mcain, who seems better ready for issues from the last two century.
    I had doubts before, but now I'm all for Obama!!!
    It's about the future!!!!

August 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  5. Obamalism

He does nothing to dispell our doubts about his ability to lead the country.

Did he send a text to Putin this weekend also???

August 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. Not impressed

Once again, his campaign makes another big mistake. The youth and inexperience factor is shining through. By doing a hot dog move like this one, he's going to lose those critical votes he will need in November.
    Let me guess, the bright one who figured this one out was the same idiot who put an all too familiar Presidential Seal behind him during a speech.
    Obama, here's a piece of advice for you: hire less marketing wannabes and more with actual political campaign experience. Idiot!

August 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  7. BP

Glad to see ageism is still alive among the Dems. If Obama is so hip and for the people, why is he scared to debate Nader who is the only person on the ballot in the majority of the states and the ONLY one who refuses to take corporate cash? Obama for the people, give me a break. Take a look at the sponsors of the convention.

August 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  8. Lillie

Great idea!! And I hope Sen. Obama is enjoying quality time/ vacation with his beautiful family!!!

OBAMA 08!!!!!

August 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  9. BR

Shocking, the kool-aid drinkers think this is just so cool.

August 11, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  10. Steve

So lets see.....Obama is going to text supporters who his Vp choice is....Is this really news? I am sure ATT will be thrilled. surely he has ATT he is so super cool he must have an Iphone.....

August 11, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  11. Lady V

Oh no...I will be checking my e-mail and text messages every hour now :-)

Obama '08

August 11, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. KJ, GA

This is great, I'm already signed up and I like that he wanted to find a unique way to let his supproters find out first.

Mccain, could never be innovative, he's to archaic!

August 11, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Not for Obozo

I need to throw up!! Change what? He won't say. His colleagues for many decades acknowledge that he will not be pinned down to answer anything. Change how things are done in Washington? The basic plan is prescribed by the Constitution. An old campaign gimmick and I can't believe so many people are falling for it

August 11, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. IN

God forbid it be Bayh

August 11, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  15. Another grumpy old white woman for Obama

Cell phones are cheaper than land lines. It's the land lines nobody can afford.
    Anyway, I am looking forward to receiving the announcement by e-mail.
    Still hoping it's Biden.

August 11, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. larry buchas

I was against Hillary for VP before I was for it.

Pick Hillary, Barack. A current Washington Post poll shows 87% of Repubicans are still backing Insane McCain. Barack tries to reach out to them & all they're interested in are their lying smears.

They don't care so why should we? Pick Hillary & make them eat crow the way they made the world eat it the past 8 years.

August 11, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  17. The Nightingale Sings in Berkley Square

Hey guys and gals, get your tire gauge out and check your tires. Obama has some hot air to blow into the tires. His plan for reducing gas prices.

Gotta laugh at that. And also him.

He is risky, has a funny name and has no resume.

Obama is a loser, a flip flopper and can't be trusted.

Hussein Obama is as green as the July Corn in the midwest. Nice to look at, but not ready for prime time.

August 11, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  18. MD FOR OBAMA

McMellanoma can not hold a candle to this guy.

August 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. John

Since I had this question myself:
    How do you sign up to receive the notification by text message?
    You can text VP to 62262 to receive a text message on your mobile phone.

Google "barack obama text message VP sign up" and it will come up as the first result.

August 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. JC in SC

Whatever. Another indicator that he is one cool dude. A great junior senator who needs to watch out for Illinois' best interests, not to be the leader of the free world . . . yet.

OBAMA '16 and '20

August 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. M. Gaudreau

crap. total crap.

and i thought bush was bad with responsibility....

August 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  22. Chip

I heard that McCain is announcing his choice via carrier pigeon and life alert monitors.

August 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  23. informed florida voter

Obama is such a drama queen.

August 11, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  24. bj

I wonder how many stupid overgrown children will kill themselves texting back and forth about this idiot, while driving

August 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. John from New York

I want to make one more comment about this. I complained that the two candidates were being too soft, but I must give Obama credit for one thing: He uses the Internet!

This whole idea of giving me the scoop by email or text message makes me think that Obama will be a very "accessible" President of the United States, meaning, he will probably read my emails if I have a concern or a complaint.

I don't think I can say the same for McCain.

August 11, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |