August 12th, 2008

Focus on the Family gets stormy response to Web video

Does focus want the Almighty to rain on the Democrats’ parade?
Does focus want the Almighty to rain on the Democrats’ parade?

(CNN) - Last month, Colorado Springs-based Focus on the Family posted a video on its Web site calling on Christians to “pray for rain” to disrupt Barack Obama’s acceptance speech at the upcoming Democratic convention in nearby Denver. Weeks later, their efforts did result in a deluge – the flood of criticism and news coverage that accompanied their decision to take down the video.

Focus officials insist the video - narrated by the man in charge of Web operations for the group’s political wing - was intended as a joke, and not a request for any divinely-inspired weather patterns.

Filed under: DNC
  1. Brenda

They say they are christians... What kind of christians are they? What a joke..I can't believe that bunch of nuts have got free income tax.. They should pay like anybody else, as junkies they are..

August 12, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. sheila

What we should all be praying for is Peace in this world, instead of hatred and political agendas. They call themselves Christians.
    "Blessed are the Peace Makers"

August 12, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. Veteran for Obama

they are making a mockery of praying to god. They are almost as funny as the McCain campaign.

August 12, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  4. Len in Washington

Not surprised at all.

I lived in Colorado Springs for 50 years. When Focus came in and started enveloping every aspect of that beautiful city (what I considered my "home town") my wife and I left.
    James Dobson is not what he wants people to think he is.

August 12, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. Pam

Losers.

August 12, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Ray

this guy and everything he stands for is one big joke

August 12, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. Greg in Annapolis

Regardless, a few drops of rain can hardly put out the fire of angst that has enabled the numbers of people who are solidly backing the real voice of change in Barack Obama! The time is now to turn this quagmire that is Washington politics around and give it back to the people. The GOP and 'lil bush have shamed the American people and it's time to vote to end the nonsense! Obama '08!!!

August 12, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. The Bush Twins : George and John

I'm a Christian, and I'm praying for Sen. Obama to beat the pants off McBush come Nov. !
    God bless you Sen. Obama, and your lovely family as well.

Obama '08

August 12, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Vegas

Funny...
    Not the video... the fact that people get this worked up over something this dumb...

August 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. Unity

What an incredibly UNCHRISTIAN way to behave! Focus on the Family needs to rethink why they became the organization it set itself out to be. I don't see anything there other than an exclusive social club.

August 12, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. Shannon Shiflett

It is vile and revolting to advocate the usage of prayer for negative and malicious intent, but what can you expect from an anti-gay group that knows nothing about spirituality?

August 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Debbie - WV

Haters

August 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. Ron

Nice...wish bad things on God's children and then lie when the parishers turn ugly. Now that is the type of example we should expect from these right-wing kooks that believe they are above all others.

August 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. sherry for Obama

Republicans are so hateful.....
    They would really do anything to make their candidate look better
    So all you holier than thou out there will just have to wait and see because Obama will win by a landslide

Obama .......08......Good for the healing of America.

Bringing back hope and Honor

August 12, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  15. ProudToBeDemocrat

This are the so called Conservative Christians who believe they are the true christians. People wake up do you really believe God would listen to this idiots who are using his name for cheap political tactics, I am going to pretent to know how God things, but occording to the bible God wants us to be honest, humble, to love every one, not to judge people, and so on and from what I can see this so called Republican Conservative have non of Quality God want us to have.

August 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. Len in Washington

By the way......doesn't this violate their tax-exempt status? If this was posted on the Churches website, then it is a flagrant violation and should be handled as such. I'll bet if they lost their exempt status, they'd back off of all this. After all, Focus moved to Colorado Springs after California changed it's laws and was going to start taxing the organizations real property. The city fathers in Colorado Springs worked a "Deal" with them and they moved in a flash.

August 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. Sheri

I am a Christian and it hurts to hear this. Pitiful! And they profess that Jesus Christ is their savior.

August 12, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. Peter (CA)

And this is the Republican core?

Remember a few years ago when Pat Robertson prayed for an "opening" on the Supreme Court.....and then Rehnquist died?

Maybe they should be careful what they pray for.

August 12, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Mattk

cuz god really helps you with thingsl ike this...God let me win the lottery, God help me finish first in my sports game, god let it rain on obamas speech...those that really believe in god would never ask such things...

August 12, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. Sheri

OBAMA/ 08
    I'm a Christian and I love Obama and will vote for him in November

August 12, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Matthew, Philadelphia, PA

Whatever, I do hope it rains during Obama's speech. I'm sick of him being such a show off, particularly when he's got nothing to show us in terms of a record.

August 12, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  22. William

Typical of right-wing fundamentalist christians who disgrace the name of God to attack the people who have a positive view for america. And to bring politics into religion! on their main website! Disgraceful. Good job Focus on the Family, way to disgrace your own religion.

August 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. Mike Dallas

I suppose we now know the answer to the question WWJD? Do anything possible to quiet someone you do not agree with, by any means possible?

Not quite sure what my Jesus would do, but I am pretty sure it is would not be that response.

August 12, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  24. Unity

Mind-control cult.

August 12, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  25. Janet / Agness, Oregon

Will someone please tell me how this crazy group gets to maintain their non-taxpaying status???
    My understanding was that if a religious group enters the political arena, the status is revoked, as it should be.
    Somehow, Focus on the Family continues to comment on the current politics (and try to get their followers to obey their directions). What are the necessary steps to revoke their status??
    They already got incredible tax breaks and financial incentives to locate in CO Springs. Then they immediately start working to control the politics of the city, state, and now, the nation.
    Is this not exactly why our fore-fathers came to this country and proceeded to fight the revolutionary war?
    Keep YOUR religion OUT of my government!!!

August 12, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |