August 12th, 2008

Focus on the Family gets stormy response to Web video

Does focus want the Almighty to rain on the Democrats’ parade?
Does focus want the Almighty to rain on the Democrats’ parade?

(CNN) - Last month, Colorado Springs-based Focus on the Family posted a video on its Web site calling on Christians to “pray for rain” to disrupt Barack Obama’s acceptance speech at the upcoming Democratic convention in nearby Denver. Weeks later, their efforts did result in a deluge – the flood of criticism and news coverage that accompanied their decision to take down the video.

Focus officials insist the video - narrated by the man in charge of Web operations for the group’s political wing - was intended as a joke, and not a request for any divinely-inspired weather patterns.

Filed under: DNC
  1. LaShanda

These people should be praying for peace in Georgia and for help for those struggling financially, not for rain on a day that marks a milestone in African-American and American history. They should be ashamed of themselves!

August 12, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  2. JohnLee

A joke? So are they saying that calling on other christians to pray for something to God is a joke? I find this so disturbing in so many ways and we really need to elevate our country above these type of discussions. I think we as citizens need to make these religious foundations taxable like everyone else. If they are going to act like a business instead of a church, than lets tax them! That ought to help the poor more than they help the poor.

August 12, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Steve From Dallas

Listening to the "faitful", Obama will part the sea of Rain to deliver his "message" on unspecific platitudes... and the "faithful" upon hearing him speak will bow down before him....

NO ROCK STARS ... we deserve a real President with real experience.

August 12, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  4. OBAMA Supporter all the way

Are people loosing their minds that bad because we may get our first African American President?!!! It's ok people...look at the situation we're in without one so far.

Please get over your racism. That's all it is.

August 12, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. Come Again???

Focus on the Family's political wing has hit ground zero. This man was actually in charge of the politics at Focus. He is the 'best' they have. If you're still getting your news from Focus, you are living under a rock.

August 12, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. Anonymous

'What ever happened to Freedom of Speech? Seriously. Obama has become an untouchable and his supports are such whiners. Scares me more than any foreign country's threat to us.'
    ------------------------------

Most of the complaints came from within Focus on the Family.

Also, freedom of speech was revoked by the Bush administration, so you need not wonder what happened to it.

August 12, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Marcus, Great Lakes, IL

Ronald Reagan was a "Celebrity" wasn't he?

McCain when he got back from Viet Nam was a "Celebrity" as the media was all over him.
    (He also got some negative press but, we will leave that up to those who use their search engine to find out the truth).

The Reagan's nor Ross Perot have much use for John McCain.

August 12, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. Seriously folks...

It's illogical cult mentaility such as this that causes all strife and needless religious wars. Exactly the opposite of what religion shoud promote. Think about it.

August 12, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

Shame!

August 12, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. A Latte Lover, Seattle, WA

It really wouldn't matter if it rains or not!!! Yes, people would stand out in the rain to see Obama accept the nomination on this historical night. Other possible Dem. nominee (who shall remain nameless) mmm, not so much.

Only Obama for me!!!

Obama/Biden, 08

August 12, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Anonymous

I find "Focus on the Family" to be a funny name for this group.

They support a divorced man who threw his disfigured wife aside for a woman 20 years younger than him.

I guess they mean focus on families other than your own.

August 12, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Proud Army and Navy Mom

That is awesome......I will pray for rain as well maybe clean up some of those fowl mouth Obama supporters and short circuit the teleprompter

McCain 08

August 12, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  13. S. Boatman

I Dont Think This Group Understands God At All! It Doesnt Sound Like They Follow The Examples Of Our Savior Jesus! I Will Pray For Gods Will To Be Done And Keep My Faith In My Lord And Not Pray For Ill Will To Be Done To Others!

August 12, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  14. Lone McCain Blogger

Its called the dumbing down of America. These dinsoaurs need to die off. If we should be praying for a solution, that would be a better one.

August 12, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  15. CJ

I support Obama, but that's like me praying for John McCain to get hurt or something crazy to happen to him while he's giving a speech which would be utterly ridiculous. These folks sound very much like poligious (politically-religious) Christians, not the Christians of the Bible and the God I serve.

August 12, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  16. mark Lukas

I'm a Christian as well and I just have one request from people...
    For the love of all that is holy do not lump us "everyday" Christians in with these people. They crazy...
    I think what we really need is to pray for a flood to wash away focus on the family.

August 12, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  17. bob in L.A.

The call for Biblical rainfall is shameful on so many levels. It is never Christian to call upon God to do what is clearly a vengful and mean spirited act. Focus on Fmaily should be ashamed of themselves!

August 12, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. ran

How come they don't ask for rain where it's needed? Isn't that the christian thing to do?

August 12, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Independent-Latina-for-OBAMA

Its HEARTBREAKING to see "CHRISTIANS" BEING TOTALLY MEAN-SPIRITED.

HEY, FOCUS ON THE FAMILY HAVE YOU NOT READ THE BIBLE?

JESUS' GREATEST COMMANDMENT JOHN 15:12

" LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU."

Its sheer HYPOCRISY, that a so-called-Christian organization would stoop to these tactics!

SO......... JUST AS SOME ARE PRAYING FOR THE DEMISE OF SEN. OBAMA ......... THERE ARE ALSO MILLIONS PRAYING FOR HIS WELL-BEING, SUCCESS AND .......YEAH........A BEAUTIFUL SUNNY-ROCKY-MOUNTAIN DAY ON THE 28TH!

August 12, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  20. R.I.F.

As a Christian, I find some of these "religous" groups to be nothing more that hypocrits. They speak about "family values" and build their whole support of the right wing around abortion and gays. There are so many other "family value" items like loving thy neigbor, taking care of the elderly, sick and poor, etc, etc, etc where the repulbicans fall so short that they sould consider being independent and try to support policies and not just an entire party.

August 12, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. Unshrub

THis is one Christain who will pray for a clear sky.

August 12, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Joe from Ohio

Why are Obama's so upset. Barack can walk on water!!!

He is the chosen ONE!!!

Hillary 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  23. luvero

I didn't even know Focus on the Family had a website until you reported it. Why do you promote this nonsense? Who cares?

August 12, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. Valerie - St. Louis, MO

All in the name of Christianity?? Please, people can claim to be Christian but you know a real Christian by how he acts. Consider Jimmy Carter and the fact that he is a true Christian. Intolerance is not the Christian way.

August 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  25. simplykris, NE

Am done giving my hardearned money to funding stupid wars.I would rather have it go it charity or drink my butt out.If Mcsame succeeds in starting the next one, am packing my bags !
    McSame is so full of it.I PRAY he hits the bucket before this year ends.

August 12, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |