August 12th, 2008

Focus on the Family gets stormy response to Web video

Does focus want the Almighty to rain on the Democrats’ parade?
Does focus want the Almighty to rain on the Democrats’ parade?

(CNN) - Last month, Colorado Springs-based Focus on the Family posted a video on its Web site calling on Christians to “pray for rain” to disrupt Barack Obama’s acceptance speech at the upcoming Democratic convention in nearby Denver. Weeks later, their efforts did result in a deluge – the flood of criticism and news coverage that accompanied their decision to take down the video.

Focus officials insist the video - narrated by the man in charge of Web operations for the group’s political wing - was intended as a joke, and not a request for any divinely-inspired weather patterns.

Filed under: DNC
  1. jesse

So...they're JOKING about prayer? Isn't that blasphemy?

August 12, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. Sifa

Proud Army and Navy mom, why don't you start by cleaning up your own fowl mouth. Clean up the dirt in you eyes before you clean that in your brother's eyes. Remember? I do believe in God and I must say, it's a shame when people think it's a joke to pray for something unfavorable to happen to another human beeng. Well, too bad because the God I know, does not respond to those kinds of prayers.
    It may just backfire on the group and whoever they are supporting.

August 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Above "Religious" Trickery

This is why I'm an atheist. Just some examples of more foolish sheep following some arcane and outdated ideas.
    Get over yourselves and try to get involved in the political process in a real way or just shut up.

Remember: What is taught as mythology today were yesterday’s greatest religions. In time the modern god(s) will become myths just like the Greek and Roman gods.

So, you just go ahead and pray for all the rain you want...

August 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Bukky

I am NO FAN on focus on the family (me being gay and all) but it should be noted that the outrage that caused them to pull the video came from its on members.

at least some of there member saw that as the POS it was...

August 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Wayne, Greenville TX

And I'm only joking when I say that I hope that an earthquake destroys FoKKKusOn The Family headquarters in Colorado Springs.

From James Dobson right on down to the janitors, they're idiots.

August 12, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. kayla

WOW ! SEN OBAMA MUST BE REALLY UNDER THESE PEOPLE SKIN. HE MUST BE SOMEBODY ,THIS IS REALLY DESPERATE.I PITY YOU FOOLS. WANT IT OR NOT. SEN OBAMA WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD IS ON SEN. OBAMAS' SHOULDER.

August 12, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  7. Chris from NY

They tried to use experience as a scare tactic it didn't work. Now they want to pray down the rain. That's okay. Haven't you seen people who attended events in the rain? May if it rained we would still sit it all out. That's how enthusiastic we are about our candidate. Can you say the same for yours?

August 12, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. NC Man

Send Obama to the Southeast maybe they will pray for rain here....GOD knows we need it. even from a McCain supported, this group is wacky .... stick to the issues and vote for the one you like the most.

August 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Richard, St. Paul, MN

Focus on the Family is just another corporate cult, in the guise of religion. They preach hate, intolerance and stupidity. It's a shame that a good religion has such bad followers.

August 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. Catherine

...and people are questioning the Muslim faith but look at these supposed "Christians".

People need to stop pretending that being a Christian means you are perfect and do no wrong. Just like any religion, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Atheist, etc. there are the radical believers in all different faiths.

Just as a side note....If the 9/11 attacks were done by a white Christian would being a Christian be questioned as much as being a Muslim...OF COURSE NOT. I'm tired of the religious hate just because of the acts of few.

If we were to judge a whole religion based on acts of a few...Christian faith would have been ridiculed centuries ago like the Muslim faith is questioned today.

August 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. Nate

This makes Christians look like idiots, shame on Focus on the Family, they do not represent me!

Barack '08

August 12, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. REG in AZ

Here we go again with "it was only a joke", "it was intended to be funny". It is bad enough that our kids try that lame excuse but for political activists to use it to excuse their stupidity is unacceptable.

August 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Proud Army and Navy Mom

I think it is mean spirited to pray for rain...... However, I will pray the teleprompter looses power that will just be fine.....UMMMMAHHHHH UMMMMM AHHHHHH UMMMMM

August 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. patriciajadav@gmail.com

Before people start knocking down Christian faith please feel free to enlighten me... Obama born a muslim and claims he is christian but the word is out there he has no documentation of being baptized... so wouldn't that make him a muslim??? Why do muslims endorse him?
    Why does his brother claim he was raised muslim and doesn't understand why Barrack is hiding the trueth? I have a ton of questions..concerning this man why he would hide this and with more money pouring into his campaign is more than I can fathom and using the Bush Campaign to make him look like the great one. I know they wont publish this because the freedom to speak about certian things in this country is a big no no anymore ... but I can certainly understand why someone would pray for rain..better yet, pray for this country.

August 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. Sylvia

In my culture, Navajo-Native American, rain is a blessing. It is life. So rain would be a good sign if it should rain during the covention in Denver.

August 12, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. Steve

Jesus would be appalled at these people. Question: How far can you wander from Christian teachings and still call yourself a "Christian"? Apparently pretty darned far.

August 12, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Catherine

…and people are questioning the Muslim faith but look at these supposed "Christians".

People need to stop hiding behind God and pretending that being a Christian can do no wrong. Just like any religion, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Atheist, etc. there are the radical believers in all different faiths. Wasn't it Timothy McVeigh who was a U.S. Army Veteran who bombed the Oklahoma City Federal Building and was a Roman Catholic.....?????

Just as a side note….If the 9/11 attacks were done by a white Christian would being a Christian be questioned as much as being a Muslim…OF COURSE NOT. I'm tired of the religious hate just because of the acts of few.

If we were to judge a whole religion based on acts of a few…Christian faith would have been ridiculed centuries ago like the Muslim faith is questioned today.

August 12, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. patriciajadav@gmail.com

Before people start knocking down Christian faith please feel free to enlighten me… Obama born a muslim and claims he is christian but the word is out there he has no documentation of being baptized… so wouldn't that make him a muslim??? Why do muslims endorse him?
    Why does his brother claim he was raised muslim and doesn't understand why Barrack is hiding the trueth? I have a ton of questions..concerning this man why he would hide this and with more money pouring into his campaign is more than I can fathom and using the Bush Administration and attaching McCains name to it to make him look like the great one. I know they wont publish this because the freedom to speak about certian things in this country is a big no no anymore … but I can certainly understand why someone would pray for rain..better yet, pray for this country

August 12, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Nardwilly

Prayer is never a joke. Prayer is serious business. Prayer is communicating with God. They trivialized God by seriously or in jest asking God to disrupt a peaceful gathering.

I would expect Christians to pray fro Obama's success and McCain's success. I expect Christians to pray for God's guidance for both of these men.

I disagree with John McCain. I would never pray for him to fail. I easily pray for God to guide him, me, and everyone else.

August 12, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. patriciajadav@gmail.com

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Why does his brother claim he was raised muslim and doesn't understand why Barrack is hiding the trueth? I have a ton of questions..concerning this man why he would hide this and with more money pouring into his campaign is more than I can fathom and using the Bush Administration and attaching McCains name to it to make him look like the great one. I know they wont publish this because the freedom to speak about certian things in this country is becoming a big no no anymore … but I can certainly understand why someone would pray for rain..better yet, pray for this country

August 12, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. WendyOne

And listen to the "Obamaites' whine about this!! Lighten up people and quit whining! Oh, that's right – you're democrats and that's about all they're capable of doing.

August 12, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Howard in Kirkland

IS IT OK IF I PRAY IN MY BASEMENT BOMB SHELTER WHILE I AM REFRESHING MY WATER AND FOOD SUPPLY FOR THE NEXT ATTACK.

August 12, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. kim hussein taylor portland, oregon

what morons!!!!

and typical repug repsonse these days when your strategy fails--it was a joke!!!!

i'm sure jesus is SOOO proud of you and your vindictive group! you are everything God never wanted to happen-hateful, ignorant, unhappy, vindictive, cheaters and liars, etc...

as famous genius, Jack Handy, once said:

If a religious nutjob asks where rain comes from,
    i think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying."

And if the asks, "Why is God crying?",
    another cute thing to say is....
    "Well, dear religious nutjob, because of something YOU did!!"

August 12, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. McCain:SmallWeakCowardlyMan OffersMoreOfTheSame TearsOthersDownToBuildHimselfUp

James Dobson and his ilk need a lesson in humility and reality.

August 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. Will in Richmond, VA

Hmph... Seems like "Focus on Family" should look at these two candidates and see who of the two epitomizes their idea of the 'Perfect" family.

John McCain or Barack Obama.

Seems like these folks have a different agenda. McCain loses to Obama on family values every single time. There are other family issues in America outside of abortion legality you know.

August 12, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |