August 12th, 2008

McCain: 'Today we are all Georgians'

YORK, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Although Russia has apparently agreed to cease military action in Georgia, John McCain accused Moscow Tuesday of continuing to attack, saying that “possibly thousands” of civilians have been wounded or killed.

“President Medvedev stated that he has halted the offensive,” McCain said, “but reports indicate Russian military forces have continued attacks in some areas, and the situation remains fluid and dangerous.”

“Today the killing goes on, and the aggression goes on,” he said.

McCain spoke for seven minutes about the situation in Georgia at the beginning of a town hall meeting in Pennsylvania, praising the country’s “long and remarkable” history and its commitment to Western values. He said he spoke to Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili earlier in the day.

“He wanted me to say thanks to you, and give you his heartfelt thanks, for the support of the American people for this tiny little democracy far away from the United States of America,” McCain said. “And I told him that I know I speak for every American when I say to him, ‘Today we are all Georgians.’”

The presumptive GOP nominee appeared to allude to past calamities in Europe while describing the crisis.

“My friends, we learned a great cost of the price of allowing aggression against free nations to go unchecked,” he said.

He continued his call for humanitarian aid to be airlifted to the country and for international peacekeeping forces to be sent to the two separatist regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Filed under: John McCain • Pennsylvania
  1. NoMcSame

Well why didn't we go in to help them? They came to Iraq to help us.

August 12, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. Informed Voter

Mc Cain is showing his War-Monger Self day by day

August 12, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. Not fooled by distractions

KEEP THIS MAN AWAY FROM THE BUTTON!!!

John McCain is a legislative disaster waiting to happen. I was thankful that the GWB regime is almost over, but the thought of a mccain presidency scares me. He's a dimmer version of bush – and I didn't think that was humanly possible!

August 12, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Ryan

Can someone whisper in McCain's ear and tell him it's not the southern state of Georgia, I think he's confused again with his geography.

August 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. Obama supporter:White, 60 year old woman

What McCain fails to note is that Georgia started this aggression, how he is going to not let it go "unchecked" as he is not the President and whether he has learned how to pronounce his "good friend" Saakahvili's name.

Nor does he give recogniton to the French for the key role they are playing in diffusing the situation with Americans sitting on the sidelines due to the reckless foreign policy of Bush and McCain.

August 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Corey, Maryland

No John I am an American and wouldn't trade that for anything, but apparently you for a few seconds in the camera light! Except if you were elected President then I would probably rather be a Georgian because you will mess this country up even more than Bush has!

Obama Richardson 2008

August 12, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Cleatus

Wellllllll dogies! Us folks down here in Atlanta Georgia are proud to be Georgians too, and plum tickeled that everyone else is a Georgian today.

August 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Amon

Did he seriously just rip off JFK's Berlin speech? Dude needs to include his references and bibliography at the end of his speech.

August 12, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. RealityKing

Sorry McCain,

but the hate filled articles here prove that only half of us are Georgians today. The other selfish half, is still fawning after Obama's self protection ideals..

August 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Ken in Dallas

"I speak for all Americans"? A little presumptuous.

More to the point, with our military power mired in Iraq, there's little or nothing meaningful the US can to do alter the situation in Georgia, and McCain's breast beating serves only to make us the butt of Russian jokes.

The man makes a fool of himself on a daily basis, and it keeps not costing him anything. How does this happen in the USA?

August 12, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. Alice Brinkley

Sen McCain is correct. The UN should send forces immediately to the effected areas.

August 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  12. California Gold

McCain is happy as a clam: all this war and bombing and shooting and killing and aggression and more of those "western values" McCain embraces. What a hawk.

Furthermore John McCain does NOT speak for me.

August 12, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  13. Ex-Republican for Obama

Johnny, don't be mad that their 'SURGE" was a success. After all, I thought you were a supporter of Successful Surges commited by invading troops into soveriegn countries.

McCain is eyeing this war as an opportunity to send more of our boys and girls to their certain death. Electing McCain is sentencing your children to murder at his hands.

Vote Obama or kiss the USA goodbye.

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  14. ANGIE

And today mcsame the killing and agression goes on in iraq you have NO RIGHT AT ALL TO SPEAK ON THIS YOU SORRY HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  15. anonymous

Sorry Mr. McCain You may be a Georgian, but I don't think the rest of the American people would agree with you and I am one of them. I think the US needs to keep their nose out of Russia now. I am a republican, however I am having reservations regarding the upcoming election as you candidates make it quite difficult to want
    to put you in office for the next 4-8 years. We have had enough war. No more war for the US pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    At this time and place I do not want a reublican nor democrat in office at this time. May be voting Independent write in

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  16. aware

McCain 08! :)

Obama is a lean, mean, machine politician who hasn't a clue except to win on his grin! :(

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. Tony

Get a life John.

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. THE whole truth

'Today we are all Georgians'
    Please then John go home

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. New Democrat

I want a peaceful resolution of the crisis in Georgia,war has never and will never be a good thing,but that doesn't make me a Georgian ,John McCain.

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  20. MoveOn

Thank God McCain has experience.Bama probably call John Edwards from the golf course to ask him what he should say.

August 12, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  21. Dan

What's wrong with Barack Obama saying he's a "citizen of the world" when John McCain can say "we are all Georgians"?

August 12, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. Mila

McCain, the supposed "foreign policy expert," plagarized from Wikipedia in explaining the history of Georgia yesterday.

That's real great. He's making foreign policy decisions based on a computer site in which anyone can enter anything, true or not.

At least he's improving his computer skills.

Oh, and by the way, his foreign policy advisor also is a former lobbyist for Georgia.

August 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. Sylvia

Yea, yea, it's all for show.

August 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. ChicagoJosh

I'm not a Georgian. I don't believe in attacking my own country. Just because Russia went too far, don't forget that Georgia started this.

August 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  25. Takesha Freeman

McCain is a real leader with experience.

McCain 2008!