August 12th, 2008

McCain: 'Today we are all Georgians'

YORK, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Although Russia has apparently agreed to cease military action in Georgia, John McCain accused Moscow Tuesday of continuing to attack, saying that “possibly thousands” of civilians have been wounded or killed.

“President Medvedev stated that he has halted the offensive,” McCain said, “but reports indicate Russian military forces have continued attacks in some areas, and the situation remains fluid and dangerous.”

“Today the killing goes on, and the aggression goes on,” he said.

McCain spoke for seven minutes about the situation in Georgia at the beginning of a town hall meeting in Pennsylvania, praising the country’s “long and remarkable” history and its commitment to Western values. He said he spoke to Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili earlier in the day.

“He wanted me to say thanks to you, and give you his heartfelt thanks, for the support of the American people for this tiny little democracy far away from the United States of America,” McCain said. “And I told him that I know I speak for every American when I say to him, ‘Today we are all Georgians.’”

The presumptive GOP nominee appeared to allude to past calamities in Europe while describing the crisis.

“My friends, we learned a great cost of the price of allowing aggression against free nations to go unchecked,” he said.

He continued his call for humanitarian aid to be airlifted to the country and for international peacekeeping forces to be sent to the two separatist regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Filed under: John McCain • Pennsylvania
  1. PG

No my friend, I am an AMERICAN!

August 12, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  2. ProudToBeDemocrat

Give it up old man why didn't you try to stop Bush when he invaded Iraq what is the differerce from what russia is doing. This old man is trying to see if he can get apportunity that benefit him for his prisidential run. We are not fools old man, you might find some republican idiots to vote for you but that is about it loser.

August 12, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. Monica for Obama in Indiana

mccain, will you please attend to the business of the USof A of which you are trying to run for president for?

August 12, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  4. INDEPENDENT NYC

First, I hope when he spoke to Georgian president Mikhail Saakashvili that he was corrected on how to pronounce his name. He mis- pronounced it three time today alone.

Second, McCain didn't have any intelligence what-so-ever on whether or not the bombing had continued. And what about this long and remarkable history – the country is a break off of the old Soviet Union. What long history?

McCain never presume that you speak for every American and never alter my citizenship to Georgia. If I was a Georgia citizen I would be asking my President why are you following the insidious protrusions of the American President Bush when its obvious he doesn't know what he's doing.

August 12, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. srg

its amazing, now we are all georgians, but he critisized obama for saying we were citizens of the world....!!!! SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!

August 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Shari, NY

Is Sen. McCain the Secretary of State? We all know where her boss is but where, oh where is Condi Rice, and why have we not heard a peep out of her as regards this saga?

August 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. Kim, Charlotte, NC

He has all week by himself to talk about American issues..yet he contiunes on this charade about another country. What happen to the Gas tax holiday?

Sad.....................

August 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. anonymous

What are you leaders really trying to do? Bankrupt the US. We have spent enough on this War bit along with the lost lives. However, I am aware the young men joining the military know the risk when they go in. Do you think the other countries will give the US any help? A BIG NO!!!!! Why do we have to put our country in front when enough is enough.

August 12, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Puffin

“My friends”, I'd feel better if McCain stays out of it and stops aggravating Kremlin. Let Europeans handle it.

August 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Robert

Yes President McBush. We all see how Presidential you are as you attempt to speak without authority on behalf of Bush. That Georgia Border with Pakistan is of the utmost concern isnt it. Oops can't fool you. You asked Lieberman already.

August 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. bruja

Mind your own business McCain! There is a lot to do in your own contry. Or maybe mind your war in Irak........
    Don't provoque another cold war!

August 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  12. MoveOn

Object lesson:
    I was talking to a friend of mine's little girl, and she said she
    wanted to be President some day.

Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I
    asked her, "If you were President what would be the first thing you
    would do?"

She replied, "I'd give houses to all the homeless people."

"Wow...what a worthy goal." I told her, "You don't have to wait until
    you're President to do that.

You can come over to my house and mow, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store
    where the homeless guys hang out, and you can give one of them the $50 to use toward a new house."

She thought that over for a few seconds while her Mom glared at me,
    then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the
    homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?"

And I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

Lesson: Holier-than-thou grandious words do not hide the reality of the world and cannot replace experience and the pragmatic approach that McCain brings to the table.

August 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. dollorbil

Let's bring the draft back and make all people 35 and under go into the military and build the ranks up. Also put all of our out of work trades people building a military the no one would want to mess with and go and kick Putin out of power. Then ask China if they wanted some too.

August 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  14. Texas trail puppy

I thought we were Americans, well i guess we are whatever McCain wants us to be since he is a War Hero and a Super-Pow. McCain is the ULTIMATE RIGHT WING NUT!!!

August 12, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. Baloney

Hypocrite.

August 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. DAN

On security McCain is way ahead of Obama, Obama doesn't have a clue what's going on,he's not fit to be a senator. Yaya all his advisers will try to tele prompt his knowledge but his initial resonse was weak and out of touch. Only he and Bush could gaffe this much. It's safe to say, that we're alot safer with McCain as prez.

August 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Tim

McCain will want to claim 'the surge' worked in Georgia. I saw on BBC the power of diplomacy when Sarkozy of France went to TALK, with (please note, not threaten) the Russian president. The result is that Russia is pulling out, even though McCain sounds dissapointed that they are.

August 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Tony

McCain, like Bush, always ready to jump for another country, but not their own. Patriots! Yeah right!

August 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. Tony

I'm not. I'M A TEXAN!!! A-Hyuck!

August 12, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  20. Concern Citizen

I Love my country and I love peace... I am a proud citizen of this nation and will continuously be a proud citizen and thats why I will never entrust my future, my freedom and my family's safety to Obama.... I thought Obama is the symbol of new hope for America but he proved me wrong.... Barak you just lost one vote and I'll make sure you loose my family and friends vote....

August 12, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. Pat Riot

Bravo for addressing this issue while it goes unreported in the shadow of the Olympics. However, it is one thing to advocate liberty and another to challenge Russia Let's watch what we say.

August 12, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. Tony

And Joe Liberman, out bron nosing for McCain, says Obama has not always put the country first. Two-faced phonies!

August 12, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Cecil

Who's Acting Like The President Now!
    McCain We Have One President At A Time.

August 12, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  24. Praetorian, Ft. Myers

O.K. John...
    We get your gist–don't go stepping into GWB turf...you don't have the job yet bro.

August 12, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. Tony

McCain = phony, liar, arrogant, bitter, angry, old man! Very sad!

August 12, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |