August 13th, 2008

Cindy McCain suffers injury on the campaign trail

Watch the McCains discuss the injury at a press conference Wednesday.

Watch the McCains discuss the injury at a press conference Wednesday.

(CNN) - Cindy McCain visited a Michigan hospital after a campaign event Wednesday, complaining of pain in her hand.

"At some point during the rope line an enthusiastic supporter shook Mrs. McCain’s hand and exacerbated an existing carpal tunnel condition,” said spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker. “Out of an abundance of caution, she decided to leave the event and visit the local hospital for x-rays where she was treated for a minor sprain."

UPDATE: The campaign reports that Cindy McCain will return to active campaigning on Thursday.

Cindy McCain, who has a brace on her right arm, told reporters she was "fine." Her husband said Wednesday afternoon that someone shook her hand "too vigorously."

Filed under: Cindy McCain • John McCain
  1. Luis, Seattle, WA

Oh Brother!!!!! I am surprised that we are not busy reporting the last time she broke a nail, doing something other than standing a modeling. I am sure unintelligent, kept trophe wife is able to relate.

August 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. Nick

This story is funny for so many reasons.

August 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Dave

Does CNN really moderate these comments?

August 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. Debbie - WV

This is bad for mccain.....this just points to how old he his.....she is used to the old man "gentle" touch.

August 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. David Goldman

PAIN PILLS THAT IS.

August 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. dave

sigh

August 13, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. norb

Actually, she injured her hand opening her vicodin prescription bottle.

August 13, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. dro

i wonder if cindy mccain gets pain pills for that sprain?

August 13, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  9. jinjing, fort lauderdale, fl

McCain probably thought it was her face he broke

August 13, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. Kevin, Austin TX

Folks, this isn't news. You're reading "Political Ticker" which is not the breaking news arm of CNN. It's a blog for people who want all kinds of tidbits about the campaign trail. So stop feeling incredulous say "this is news." My god, if you don't like it, don't read it, and for the life of Bryan, don't post!

I'm glad she's okay. My first thought was that it might be a sign of a stroke. As a human, I'm glad she's okay.

Obama 08

August 13, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. Dosteovsky

Carpal tunnel? How elitist

August 13, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. Jane

Is she back using drugs again?

Life must be hard for a billionaire heiress who hasn't had to work a day in her life.

August 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. Scott L

Typical dem lack of respect. Hope you never get carpal tunnel...it is crippling...look around you dems, this is the company you keep. Are you proud? I am sure you are! :-D

August 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  14. Patricia Dumas Fair Haven,NJ

awww...seems our little princess Cindy can't take a good, hefty and hearty handshake....

August 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. SAME OLD STUFF

SO

August 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  16. ber6964

Who gives a SSSSSSSSSSS...............

August 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  17. Mrs. McInostoch

Good that you are feeling better Mrs. McCain. Be careful of the handshakes. Good grief. Why on earth was something so MINOR given so much attention?

August 13, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  18. Eric

It is funny how her and Jonny do not support heath care for every American. Yet she has no problem going to the hospital for a little sprain that did not even need medical treatment. What a worthless hypocrite. This is like when her Jonny said that every American should be checked for skin cancer a few weeks ago yet does not support giving them that ability to do so. Vote Democratic this fall.

August 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  19. Go McCain

why is this breaking news when there are so many other things that are more important. I feel bad for her and I hope she feels better but there are more important things that should be breaking news!

August 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  20. K-Dub 4 Obama

Tasteless.... How about she probably hurt it during the topless competition after a handshake with a biker. lol. You guys are idiots. :).... I love the news, the conservatives and their "seriousness" keep me laughing. They don't have a clue. Whoops i just got another one. She probably hurt it while teaching McLame how to text on a blackberry. He is trying to appeal to the "hip" crowd now. lol. Lames.

August 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  21. Don of Fairfax

Here come the Dumocraps.

August 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  22. Ed from PA

Has any normal person ever gone to the HOSPITAL for a minor sprain?

Some people really think too highly of themselves. When I saw Cindy McCain was hospitalized, I was wondering if her life was in danger. Instead, I hear it's a MINOR SPRAIN?!

ugh.

August 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  23. HG in California

And your point is???? You mean she couldn't just take a vicodin, a motrin or a tylenol? Oops!!! That's right, she's an addict, so all those painkillers are out of the question.

August 13, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  24. sensible Cape Coral Fl

While I don't like Cindy Mc, she reminds me of a high school cheerleader, I feel she does not deserve the stupid remarks that have been made in this column. How can people come to such conclusions with little of no evidence to back up their commments?

August 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  25. anonymous

I simply cannot believe all the evil Democrats! For crying out loud, people. Have some humane feelings for a person, whether you like them or not. I cannot stand NOBAMA and his evil looking wife but I would not poke fun at or wish them ill health! This election has just gotten too far out of hand!

August 13, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |